Triple G today vs Middleweight James Toney

Definitely going to a decision and GGG will keep moving forward and throwing punches and keep getting hit cleanly while doing so.

Best case: looks like Jirov vs Toney
Worst case: looks like Ruiz vs Toney

Definitely going to a decision and GGG will keep moving forward and throwing punches and keep getting hit cleanly while doing so.

Best case: looks like Jirov vs Toney
Worst case: looks like Ruiz vs Toney

agreed. I like GGG but Toney's head movement and defense are too much for him.

Toney takes this too IMO. Defense with constant counters as well as his style always worked best when they brought the aggression to him. Although GGG is a smart fighter he doesn't just throw bombs. He varies the timing speed and power on punches to upset your rhythm as well as your defense and offense. He's not a stupid fighter. But I'd give the edge to Toney.

Prime James Toney is ducking Golovkin.

Way too early to tell how Golovkin would do against Toney. Right now you'd have to pick Toney because Toney fought guys similar to Golovkin. There's no one on Golovkins record who comes close to the skill Toney brought to the ring.

Toney as of now. Agreed with Seano, we have to wait until he fights a little more.

I am a huge Gennady fan and follower but he's still got a lot to prove.

I absolutely love GGG but he would get beat badly against prime Toney.

A focused Toney would make todays GGG look silly

What's funny? Let's see the other top 5 guys in the division

Sergio
Quillin
Sturm
Geale
M. Murray

IMO GGG beats them all.

Sergio is on his last legs
Quillin cold war so not happening
Geale is a vet but past his time
Sturm has been ducking
Martin tough guy but he too will fall.

we get it you love GGG... that's not what this thread's about.

Can I just add a note of caution here.

Toney at 160lbs wasn't the finished article. He was prone to running out of gas, lacked a bit of nous and experience, struggled with the weight and generally wasn't quite as slick or excellent as we have him in his mind's eye. Toney's peak was likely his time at 168 and 175lbs... although even then his weight issues and lackadaisical attitude to conditioning hindered him.

160lbs Toney is the Toney that was held to a draw by Mike McCallum (although I had Toney narrowly winning), only just got past Reggie Johnson, was a long way down on the cards against Nunn before catching him late and most shockingly of all should have lost (and Toney admits he should have lost) to Dave Tiberi... and Tiberi is a far lesser boxer than Golovkin.

Is Golovkin a stylistic match to any of those guys? Not really. But he has shown accuracy, power, a consistant workrate, the willingness to attack the head and body, a reasonable chin and effective punch selection. Even in the bouts Toney won at 160lbs he was getting caught with shots you wouldn't expect him to and slowing down in the latter stages. I could easily see Toney going ahead early but then fading late, allowing Golovkin to take over.

That said, Toney at 160lbs was still a versatile fighter. We tend to think of him these days as pretty much exclusively a counter-puncher bit back then when he was more mobile he was perfectly happy (and able) to walk opponents down and force them backwards. We're yet to really see how effective Golovkin is when he can't come forwards and what few signs we have haven't been that positive... his offence tends to disappear. If Toney can catch Golvokin with a good counter (and Golovkin's defence doesn't match his offence right now) and immediately step on the pressure I can see life being very hard for Golovkin.

As Consortium said, Toney wasn't a flawless fighter at MW. He could be outboxed, and he was inconsistent. However, I'd certainly pick him over any MW campaigning today outside of Golovkin without much hesitation. Toney would be the best backfoot boxer that Golovkin has ever fought (and Toney had the ability to fight going forward, as well, and Rosado had some success forcing him backwards and going to the body), as well as likely the best puncher, most durable fighter, and best all around athlete (with easily the most craft to go along with all of that). Golovkin hasn't shown anything yet that would suggest to me that he should be favored over Toney, but we'll have to see what he looks like against other elite fighters before getting a real idea.

Jirov Toney answers that

Toney more dominant because ggg is orthodox stance boxer

Back