Triple G today vs Middleweight James Toney

Would've been an incredible match up.
GGG's constant pressure and precision vs. Toney's excellent defense and elite counter punching. When I think of this match up though, all that keeps popping in my head is a dog tired Toney holding on for dear life as Dave Tiberi was beating his ass all over the ring in round 12. That cut to 160 was hell on Toney. At 168 & up, I'd pick Toney all day. At 160, it's a toss up

Toney was a bit more offensive back then, and his defense was already at a high level (but not where it is now or last few years). GGG would've probably been out boxed and countered when he got too close. Too much of a step up in talent to what GGG has seen so far (jury's still out on how great he is... Toney had some nice KO power too back then 31-0-2 21KOs while still a MW, might've caught 3G coming in.

If we are doing historical matches, why not pick two guys with heavy hands who would def brawl it out.

Kelly Pavlik vs Gennady

Middleweight with heavy hands and your immediate thought is pavlik?

Yes closer in time and more even match up. I have soft spot for Kelly.

Can I just add a note of caution here.

Toney at 160lbs wasn't the finished article. He was prone to running out of gas, lacked a bit of nous and experience, struggled with the weight and generally wasn't quite as slick or excellent as we have him in his mind's eye. Toney's peak was likely his time at 168 and 175lbs... although even then his weight issues and lackadaisical attitude to conditioning hindered him.

160lbs Toney is the Toney that was held to a draw by Mike McCallum (although I had Toney narrowly winning), only just got past Reggie Johnson, was a long way down on the cards against Nunn before catching him late and most shockingly of all should have lost (and Toney admits he should have lost) to Dave Tiberi... and Tiberi is a far lesser boxer than Golovkin.

Is Golovkin a stylistic match to any of those guys? Not really. But he has shown accuracy, power, a consistant workrate, the willingness to attack the head and body, a reasonable chin and effective punch selection. Even in the bouts Toney won at 160lbs he was getting caught with shots you wouldn't expect him to and slowing down in the latter stages. I could easily see Toney going ahead early but then fading late, allowing Golovkin to take over.

That said, Toney at 160lbs was still a versatile fighter. We tend to think of him these days as pretty much exclusively a counter-puncher bit back then when he was more mobile he was perfectly happy (and able) to walk opponents down and force them backwards. We're yet to really see how effective Golovkin is when he can't come forwards and what few signs we have haven't been that positive... his offence tends to disappear. If Toney can catch Golvokin with a good counter (and Golovkin's defence doesn't match his offence right now) and immediately step on the pressure I can see life being very hard for Golovkin.

I agree with you. I still think Toney would beat Golovkin, but a James Toney at his "best" is almost a mythological statement. I'm not sure James was really ever at the best he could be, utilizing his full potential at his optimal weight.

A James "Light Out" Toney at his "best" would be a candidate for all time top 15 or 20 p4p in my opinion. He accomplished a lot, but is still sort of a what if fighter.

What's funny? Let's see the other top 5 guys in the division

Sergio
Quillin
Sturm
Geale
M. Murray

IMO GGG beats them all.

Sergio is on his last legs
Quillin cold war so not happening
Geale is a vet but past his time
Sturm has been ducking
Martin tough guy but he too will fall.

whoa, my bad. I thought you wrote GGG TODAY vs top 10 MW (of all time) and GGG beats them all.

But what you wrote was GGG vs top 10 mw TODAY and ggg beats them.

Quillin imo could give the most problems out that pack.

Rosado walked Quillin down a lot and wasnt very effective when backed up, he looked confused and it was his power that got him through the fight he doesnt bring a lot tools to the table

Quillin is the weakest link of all the champs at 160

I think this might be a slight misuse of the term "exposed"... most of the flaws with Quillin were known prior to that bout... but he certainly didn't look particularly good (although neither did Rosado). The N'Jikam bout was the telling one for me... Quillin had to lean utterly on his power to get through that one and was otherwise throwing the bout away.

I think the Sergio of three or four years ago could cause Golovkin some issues; in several of Golovkin's bouts he's been caught fairly cleanly as he comes forward but against opponents who's instinct is to cover up, not move, when pressured. Martinez looks to move and use distance... and while his technical footwork is poor he did possess quick feet. These days I think Sergio has likely slowed down (and will almost certainly be coming off some injuries going into any bout) enough that Golovkin can trap him and pound away.

Martin's tough, disciplined, has a good defence and is a flexible boxer. That said he looked awful in his last bout and while that may be down to rust and taking an opponent he'd already beaten lightly (as well as a supposed illness during his camp) it wasn't a particularly good sign. I think Martin can make Golovkin work but I'm not sure he has quite enough tools himself to get a win.

While he might not be the most dangerous choice for him, the one I'd be really interested to see is him vs the new version of Sturm. Sturm 2.0 still has the tight defence and good jab that he made his career with but he's become a lot more aggressive and active, really working in the pocket and on the inside. I've said before that I want to see how Golovkin handles someone who doesn't try to back off or box around him and instead tries to push him back... I think Golovkin would.

For that reason I'd love to see the rumoured bout with Kirkland as well. Kirkland has a huge number of flaws but his power and aggression cover up for most of them.

Rosado walked Quillin down a lot and wasnt very effective when backed up, he looked confused and it was his power that got him through the fight he doesnt bring a lot tools to the table

Quillin is the weakest link of all the champs at 160

I really didn't think Rosado vs Quillin was a very close fight, but I was in the minority there I guess. I would agree Quillin was lackluster there but all Rosado really does is come forward and be tough.

Quillin got exposed against Rosado, who GGG used as a punching bag for 6 rounds

A punching bag? Imo Rosado was beat to the punch, yes. BUT he did very well against GGG, better than ALL of his other opponents.

Back