Tried Japanese jiu jitsu | Page 2

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by cardkid, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Balto Silver Belt

Balto
    Using your video as an example, I can tell you for a fact that the kimura style method of immobilizing the arm on the pistol draw at 5:30 there is widely taught to LE and military currently. It's simple, it's gross motor, and it has solid real world results.

Is that important to train? Probably not for most people. But if you are LE or military, yes, it's considered important. And most of the training looks pretty similar to that. Some better units will do those with full resistance as well, but there still seems to be decent benefit in even the more static training.

2. EGDM Blue Belt

EGDM
    Sure, some of it's not terrible. I can tell you that 95% of the wristlock stuff wouldn't even fly in Aikido, though.

3. Balto Silver Belt

Balto
    Core BJJ self defense to me is:

- Hands up when someone gets in your face and getting comfortable with that
    - Close the distance and get to a bear hug clinch where they can't hit you (practice just preemptive clinching as well as ducking/slipping a strike, etc.)
    - Standing RNC from the back
    - Watching the hands and getting 2 on 1 control right away as soon as the guy reaches for something (much easier to stop a weapon draw before it happens than try to deal with a drawn one)
    - Dealing with unexpected stuff (weird headlocks, bear hugs, etc) -- base out immediately, a few strikes to soften them up, get back to a better spot

This stuff seems to be pretty well covered by most BJJ guys who bother to teach it. I don't like the knife stuff but truth is I've seen a lot worse.

TheGZA and BJJ_Rage like this.
  4. WilliamBoulder White Belt

WilliamBoulder
    Apparently JJJ original intention was for if a samurai was disarmed in battle he could use his hands to continue to fight. Since Japanese Samurai's were heavily armored there was an emphasis on joint locks and chokes because the joints were the weak part in the samurai's armor. They also have some strikes and throws etc. I've never personally tried/ been to a traditional JJJ school. I've heard its like a dance routine more then an actual martial art and hasn't evolved to modern times. It might be interesting for a historical perspective more then for a self defense system.

5. cardkid Yellow Belt

cardkid
    I think this is fairly accurate. Like I said, I can see some legitimacy in some of the techniques which probably worked hundreds of years ago when people didn't know as many fighting styles. But in 2017 I can't really see these moves working to the extent the instructor says.
    Sure certain holds are painful or uncomfortable but not so bad I wouldn't fight for my life.