Tried Japanese jiu jitsu

Using your video as an example, I can tell you for a fact that the kimura style method of immobilizing the arm on the pistol draw at 5:30 there is widely taught to LE and military currently. It's simple, it's gross motor, and it has solid real world results.

Is that important to train? Probably not for most people. But if you are LE or military, yes, it's considered important. And most of the training looks pretty similar to that. Some better units will do those with full resistance as well, but there still seems to be decent benefit in even the more static training.

Sure, some of it's not terrible. I can tell you that 95% of the wristlock stuff wouldn't even fly in Aikido, though.

Core BJJ self defense to me is:

- Hands up when someone gets in your face and getting comfortable with that
- Close the distance and get to a bear hug clinch where they can't hit you (practice just preemptive clinching as well as ducking/slipping a strike, etc.)
- Standing RNC from the back
- Watching the hands and getting 2 on 1 control right away as soon as the guy reaches for something (much easier to stop a weapon draw before it happens than try to deal with a drawn one)
- Dealing with unexpected stuff (weird headlocks, bear hugs, etc) -- base out immediately, a few strikes to soften them up, get back to a better spot

This stuff seems to be pretty well covered by most BJJ guys who bother to teach it. I don't like the knife stuff but truth is I've seen a lot worse.

Apparently JJJ original intention was for if a samurai was disarmed in battle he could use his hands to continue to fight. Since Japanese Samurai's were heavily armored there was an emphasis on joint locks and chokes because the joints were the weak part in the samurai's armor. They also have some strikes and throws etc. I've never personally tried/ been to a traditional JJJ school. I've heard its like a dance routine more then an actual martial art and hasn't evolved to modern times. It might be interesting for a historical perspective more then for a self defense system.

Apparently JJJ original intention was for if a samurai was disarmed in battle he could use his hands to continue to fight. Since Japanese Samurai's were heavily armored there was an emphasis on joint locks and chokes because the joints were the weak part in the samurai's armor. They also have some strikes and throws etc. I've never personally tried/ been to a traditional JJJ school. I've heard its like a dance routine more then an actual martial art and hasn't evolved to modern times. It might be interesting for a historical perspective more then for a self defense system.

I think this is fairly accurate. Like I said, I can see some legitimacy in some of the techniques which probably worked hundreds of years ago when people didn't know as many fighting styles. But in 2017 I can't really see these moves working to the extent the instructor says.
Sure certain holds are painful or uncomfortable but not so bad I wouldn't fight for my life.

There are legitimate and functional martial arts like some jujutsu schools. It's funny but a little sad so many actually swallowed the Gracie sales pitch to the point they really believe people were wandering around defenseless prior to UFC I.

As a few have alluded to above what passes as bjj self defense is for the most part nearly IDENTICAL to traditional jujutsu self defense. As with the rest of their "style" i.e. the grappling specialization, their self defense techniques were cherry picked from judo/jiu jisu/wrestling and other styles they encountered over time. Of course you'll rarely (never from egomaniacal and self promoting Helio) that many of what's become called BJJ's foundational techniques, tactics and philosophy originated elsewhere but that's simply a fact.

Jiu Jitsu, as practiced in Brazil really evolved in the direction it did due to the challenges they initiated or accepted over the years just as catchwrestling did here and around the world.

BJJ IS CATCHWRESTLING!

Don't get hung up on semantics, search and consider the truth for yourself. Also, don't know if I mentioned it yet but BRAZILIAN Jiu Jitsu and GRACIE Jiu Jitsu are modern constructs coined in the nineties to promote and differentiate what Rorion introduced and claimed credit for creating on behalf of his daddy.

It was and still is known simply as Jiu Jitsu over most of that country then and now.

I think we are agreeing with each other. Perhaps I should have said that if much of the BJJ self defense curriculum were practiced with greater resistance we would discover that the techniques are bad.

I did Aikido for 15 years before I switched to BJJ. I know exactly how that training feels and what that gets you in terms of useable skill. There is almost no difference beyond aesthetics between a good chunk of Aikido and the self defense curricula I've seen in BJJ (and don't get me started on "women's self defense seminars").

I mean, really?:

I have personally heard eighth-degree BJJ black belts advocating this kind of training as important. I find that confusing.

Do you think Aikido is completely useless? I came from a wrestling and boxing base but trained about 6 months at an Aikido school in which the head instructor was also a BJJ purple. He was a cross-trained wrestler and grappler but his core Aikido classes were taught in the TMA flowery way that gives Aikido a bad name.

I think part of what gets Aikido a bad rap is many techniques were intended vs. an armed assailant. Against an unarmed trained assailant, of course boxing/wrestling/BJJ will be more effective because that's what they were designed for.

Against a bigger stronger guy with a knife or gun IMO you're fucked regardless but if you have to confront him, I think basic Aikido performed by an athletic guy with bad intentions would be more effective than attempting to jab, shoot in or pull guard which will almost certainly get you killed.

Last edited:
My opinion is that Aikido might be usable if you have experience in another Art, where you actively practise sparrings without pre defined scenarios and you are in good shape, enough fast and strong. Aikido founder when was young, was quite muscular and athletic for his height. I think he was enough strong and his experience with Traditional Jujutsu ( grappling trained with active and skillful resistance as in westling etc ) allowed him to do Aikido without '' beating '' for Atemi.

More powerful Art I think was Daito Ryu Aikijujutsu under Mr. Takeda Sokaku.

Traditional Japanesse Jujitsu is with huge advantage; Atemi Waza, ec striking with kicks and punches.

I think, because you have good experience with other grappling arts, Aikido might help you, of course.

Last edited:
Against a bigger stronger guy with a knife
IMO you're fucked regardless but if you have to confront him

I think, it depends from obstacles.
if have any chance, escape, run. If have any items, use them etc advises, usually taught in self defense courses.
If you cannot escape attack and have good experience with kicks, sometimes better solution might be kick body holding knife, not fighting for his knife.

however in life knife attacks might be different than in drillings.
Highly trained guy might keep knife as close to his body as it is possible and attack with fast cuts, stabs, not attempting to deliver 2 most commonly drilled methods for attack.
Another variant might be ''dancing with knife '' and third variant, I think most terrible attack ; something like fast street kickboxing bout with addition this knife in hand or even knifes in both hands.

I ll always prefer not to deal with guy, who might attack with knife, regardless, he is 140 lbs or 250 lbs. For deep cuts and stabs far less force required than for effective punch, therefore these cuts might be delivered even faster than enough strong punches in rings and cages.

another danger, that they might attack quite chaotically, also then scenario is far from drillings in courses, also therefore attacker is dangerous even without training.

Last edited:
Do you think Aikido is completely useless?

No, not completely. It's an interesting study of applied movement, within its context. You'll learn the best ukemi on the block. You will not learn to fight against a determined opponent trained in modern grappling and/or striking, though.

No, not completely. It's an interesting study of applied movement, within its context. You'll learn the best ukemi on the block. You will not learn to fight against a determined opponent trained in modern grappling and/or striking, though.

The way it was trained was always too froufrou for me to want to pursue further, but I think a lot of the techniques could be effective if done by an athletic guy with good core grappling. The Aikido guy I trained with also taught the LAPD and he had plenty of cops in his class that said they'd used his stuff on the job. Of course they were burly guys and half of them had a wrestling base.

I always thought the cop stuff he taught like come-alongs, kimura takedown into cuffing guy on the ground, standing RNC etc. would be very useful to LE, when you can't or don't want to fill the room with uppercuts, blast double into GnP.

One could argue that Judo distilled the essence of JJJ and threw out all the BS...

Judo, BJJ, and NoGi grappling are the live wild forms of what JJJ once was.

TMA style JJJ with no live training is like an underfed wild dog trapped in a zoo it's entire life compared to wild dogs living in the wild and hunting daily, staying strong, and implementing their game on their prey. One has never actually hunted, just pretended to. The others are hunting all the time in the real world against prey that puts up the maximum possible resistance.

I think, it depends from dojo, sensei and training partners.
Beating usually isn't allowed with full force and usually not allowed after grip established.
However some places requires mandatory test fights for each belt level.

here Curriculum for 1 kyu grading japanesse jujutsu in one dojo. Relatively modern european approach.
Test fight with following techniques; 21 arm locks, 10 leg locks, 50 variations how to defeat arms and legs locks, 3 different chokes, i forget about number of throvs.
Atemi Waza.
Punches.
Uppercut, straight, half hook, hook, uraken, Gyakuzuki, Empi.
Kicks.
Hiza Geri, Mae Geri, Mawashi Geri, Yoko Geri, Ushiro Geri, Kakato Geri.

all this is possible to do in sparrings, with exception about this uraken, too hard to control and if we know, where must be delivered, i think not so '' must have '' thing.

maybe I'll post link later, if they have english text version.

Last edited:
What's JJJ like? Just watch a BJJ self defense class.

The myopia around BJJ self defense is hilarious. It's 99% bullshit for EXACTLY the same reasons everyone makes fun of Aikido and JJJ. In ten years I have never once seen a BJJ "self defense class" that introduced full resistance. For a martial art that puts down all the others because they don't spar, this is... bizzare.

Unless you have (nearly) full resistance as part of the practice, you're just play-acting. You could be teaching the highest-percentage moves in the world but your students won't be able to execute them. No one is immune to that.

(Note - I am NOT saying BJJ is bad for self defense. The value, however, is the sport techniques that you hone in sparring. This was the whole point the founding of Judo.)

The valid sd part of bjj is closing the distance clinch and td... also the punch defense series is quite good ( on the ground) the rest is kata. Bjj sd revolves around the strategy to fight not the kata techniques

I seen a JJJ class practice before. I believed they labeled themselves as Way of the Wind Ninjitsu. They are into chain submissions and seem a little bit like Akido. I also met bjj black belts that started from JJJ/Judo backgrounds.

Weird, I'd posted a while back on another thread.

"If you want to find effective Aikido, train Judo for five years then drill Nage No Kata for your Ikkyu and Shodan promotions."

Or something to that effect.

In the process of clearing up old stories told to me by my coaches at comps and seminars I stumbled on this interview of Tomiki Sensei who developed the Goshin Jujitsu program for the Kodokan.

Tomiki Sensei-
"Classical jujutsu, you see, included movements to deal with the situations before the outbreak of grappling. The person who was most knowledgeable regarding these pre-grappling movements and responses was Ueshiba Sensei."

Ever since reading this it's been nagging me in Randori. Most of the time we ignore this distance. I think to myself "what if the other guy had more speed and momentum because I didn't let him get in range to grip?" But isn't that what so called "self defense" is all about? Controlling the distance before an assailant is close enough to harm you? Not like in a ring, to close, but half a block away? How is this person(s) acting, moving, staring, at me? That's what it seems like Tomiki Sensei is talking about.

I think the biggest point for TMA vs sport he points out is about controlling the environment before the grappling range.

For Traditional JJJ if the guy grabs you not in the way and position you want him to, you've already lost the advantage.

Tomiki Sense-
"What I’m trying to say is this. In the old days, each master (person) would decide on his own, “I’m good at throwing,” or “My kicking is outstanding,” or “I have a great short sword technique.” Then based on this subjective judgement he would set up his own style in a formalized tradition (ryuha). In the case of the “modernization” that took place, the sword was taken out of jujutsu, and likewise, swordwork excluded jujutsu. The arts were divided into specific fields based on the type of technique. An old time practitioner of Ninjutsu, the Art of Stealth, thought only of the real life application. He would do anything he had to do in order to win. This was, of course, because they used technique for the purpose of war, and from that point of view you had to be able to cope with a long engagement distance or a short one, you could jump, do anything necessary."

So of course you guys laugh at Ninjutsu. It's the equivalent of modern day SOF or Delta. Any ten of you Purple Belt BJJ guys could choke out a Navy Seal strictly on the mat. But give him your address and a month to stalk you and he'd smoke you at 400 yards almost any old time he chose. That's what Tomiki Sensei is saying Ninjustu was.

The main point of the history is the transition from stone cold killers of war to highly competitive sport.

Kano Sensei was visionary in his genius of adapting Budo to the modern world.

Tomiki Sensei-
"Let me start with my conclusion first. In Japan our budo of the past was something extremely bloody, vicious, and completely without bounds as to what methods or tricks one could resort to. Therefore, in viewing our present peaceful society and looking forward to a peaceful future, I think that “sportification” (kyogika), the conversion to competitive sport, is the best way to spread the outstanding points and the benefits of budo to the world."

So no mater how much we tell ourselves, what we train in the modern day holds no candle to the violent origins of our arts. We train the purposefully pacified versions of tactics and techniques to fit our modern world and that's a good thing.

Read the full interview here it's fascinating for anyone who's interested in the real Japanese Martial Arts history. While Brazilians were running around in the jungle with sticks and stones, fighting off the Euro Colonialists, Jujutsu was at it's turning point from warfare to it's present form. Tomiki Sensei is one of the Kodokan's most experienced educators.
http://aikidojournal.com/2011/09/02...ihXw7fP4IJ935MtQ9iVkAIZa3pavW3h46oMyNIMR_p-ik

Tomiki Sensei-
"Classical jujutsu, you see, included movements to deal with the situations before the outbreak of grappling. The person who was most knowledgeable regarding these pre-grappling movements and responses was Ueshiba Sensei."

Ever since reading this it's been nagging me in Randori. Most of the time we ignore this distance.

This is one aspect of the fundamental problem with Aikido. Philosophical and semi-religious drapery aside, the art started as a deep technical study of the transitional instant as the engagement closes between striking and grappling distances. While this is perhaps useful to someone who already knows what to do in both ranges in isolation, when taken out of context and worked non-competitively for 70 years you get what we have now.

I do think there's a kernel of truth down there somewhere. The really sublimely good MMA fighters who have a blended arsenal do a lot of things that I recognize as principles and micro-techniques taught in Aikido. (Obviously derived independently.) You can't get there using modern Aikido's training or teaching methods, though.

Last edited:
There is a traditional jiu jitsu gym just down the street here, the professor is a really fat guy with a mustache, classic bulshido stuff. At least he can do the splits, pretty impressive.

- Hands up when someone gets in your face and getting comfortable with that
- Close the distance and get to a bear hug clinch where they can't hit you (practice just preemptive clinching as well as ducking/slipping a strike, etc.)
- Standing RNC from the back
- Watching the hands and getting 2 on 1 control right away as soon as the guy reaches for something (much easier to stop a weapon draw before it happens than try to deal with a drawn one)
- Dealing with unexpected stuff (weird headlocks, bear hugs, etc) -- base out immediately, a few strikes to soften them up, get back to a better spot

This stuff seems to be pretty well covered by most BJJ guys who bother to teach it. I don't like the knife stuff but truth is I've seen a lot worse.

- MMA

Back