Top 10 Fastest 100M Runs

oh now we are talking....

Man I just love the event.

Why do you like him? His style of running?

Asafa has the most elegant running mechanics besides Carl Lewis, However Asafa is more the aesthetic athlete which compounds to the grace of how he runs. However he does not have the spirit of a champion.

Are we going to see sprinters getting taller and taller? Usain Bolt is 6'5", Asafa Powell is 6'3". Julio Jones is 6'3"

Bolt is just fluid. It's easy. Stride is incredible. Runs with a lot of elastic spring. Very springy.

I'm no coach, but that's what I see.

Last edited by a moderator:
Asafa has the most elegant running mechanics besides Carl Lewis, However Asafa is more the aesthetic athlete which compounds to the grace of how he runs. However he does not have the spirit of a champion.
I thought he looked a little tight in the chest/shoulders on his 9.72? To improve him is he a little bound up senri? Compared to bolt who is so fluid and elastic? Bolt just looks mobile in every joint which I would guess helps make him fast.

Are we going to see sprinters getting taller and taller? Usain Bolt is 6'5", Asafa Powell is 6'3". Julio Jones is 6'3"

Don't think so. Bolt is just an anomaly. His height should still be a disadvantage for most.

If you look at most of the top young guys...
Trayvon Bromell 5' 8
Andre De Grasse 5' 9
Christian Coleman 5' 9

No, there's a trade-off tension just as in American Ninja Warrior, for example. It should go up, but it will never favor the more extreme end of the bell curve for greater height.

While it's advantageous for athletes to be shorter, because it means they weigh less, allowing for greater relative strength, there is simultaneously an advantage to being taller and have longer limbs (which also create more weight) because they allow for leverage and aid in some of the challenges which certainly favor absolute height (ex. the finishing wall, swinging obstacles, climbs involving pushing the legs against two opposing walls, etc.).

This is why among crossover athletes rock climbers tend to do the best of all, for example, and not elite male gymnasts.

In sprinting, greater height means a longer stride, but it also means a slower start (slower turnover = less foot contacts for propulsion). You are also, again, fighting gravity. Taller = heavier.

Bolt is just FLUID. It's easy. Stride is incredible. Runs with a lot of elastic spring. Very springy.

I'm no coach, but that's what I see.

hmmm

I thought he looked a little TIGHT in the chest/shoulders on his 9.72? To improve him is he a little bound up senri? Compared to bolt who is so fluid and elastic? Bolt just looks mobile in every joint which I would guess helps make him fast.

mmmmmmm....

Bolt is just very powerful for his height and frame, his central nervous system is exquisitely more powerful than most sprinters. Which allows him to move fast and generate great amounts of power in a short period of time for each stride.

No, there's a trade-off tension just as in American Ninja Warrior, for example. It should go up, but it will never favor the more extreme end of the bell curve for greater height.

While it's advantageous for athletes to be shorter, because it means they weigh less, allowing for greater relative strength, there is simultaneously an advantage to being taller and have longer limbs (which also create more weight) because they allow for leverage and aid in some of the challenges which certainly favor absolute height (ex. the finishing wall, swinging obstacles, climbs involving pushing the legs against two opposing walls, etc.).

This is why among crossover athletes rock climbers tend to do the best of all, for example, and not elite male gymnasts.

In sprinting, greater height means a longer stride, but it also means a slower start (slower turnover = less foot contacts for propulsion). You are also, again, fighting gravity. Taller = heavier.

more or less correct. Taller people have overall more surface area to their bodies so they have more absolute power but recover slower, they also can only handle so much volume in a given workout so less is more is a proverb that serves them well. Tall folks are also usually just as proportional as short athletes depending on ethnicity. With African folks as an example they tend to be actually long limbed RELATIVE to their torsos. Many tall caucasians or asians have short limbs and long torsos. The long limbs as you say relative to the torso allows for more stride, but the power generated in the end depends on the CNS since birth, fast twitch muscle proportions in deviation, posterior pelvic tilt and and overall very well developed hip flexors.

Gymansts is the best base for crossovers to any sport if they make the transition in their teens.

It's correct. Simplified, but uncontroversial.

Yes, dimorphic conceptualization is easily done thinking abstractly and a lot of people get confused, so it's good to be holistic with the understanding of the subject. Not everyone is as sharp as you Mr Mad.

Cant you just take shorter strides until you get to full speed, and then extend to maintain speed? And if you have bigger muscles, wont that negate any increase in weight?

I also, I have been told that running is essentially falling, and then catching yourself. So if you are higher, dont you have more potential energy in the fall? Not sure if that will mean anything.

Back