Top 10 Fastest 100M Runs

Don't think so. Bolt is just an anomaly. His height should still be a disadvantage for most.

If you look at most of the top young guys...
Trayvon Bromell 5' 8
Andre De Grasse 5' 9
Christian Coleman 5' 9

And Trindon Holliday the 5'5" midget

Cant you just take shorter strides until you get to full speed, and then extend to maintain speed? And if you have bigger muscles, wont that negate any increase in weight?

I also, I have been told that running is essentially falling, and then catching yourself. So if you are higher, dont you have more potential energy in the fall? Not sure if that will mean anything.
@senri is a far greater expert on the specific biomechanics of sprinting than I am.

I came in to do what I do for generalized S&C theory: offer Cliff Notes.

Yes, dimorphic conceptualization is easily done thinking abstractly and a lot of people get confused, so it's good to be holistic with the understanding of the subject. Not everyone is as sharp as you Mr Mad.
Now you're just being cheeky.
Gymnast is the best base for crossovers to any sport if they make the transition in their teens.
Sssshhh...don't tell Crossfit.

Cant you just take shorter strides until you get to full speed, and then extend to maintain speed? And if you have bigger muscles, wont that negate any increase in weight?

I also, I have been told that running is essentially falling, and then catching yourself. So if you are higher, dont you have more potential energy in the fall? Not sure if that will mean anything.

No, if you shorten your stride you don't fully extend your body during the acceleration phase, you will accelerate quickly but you also hit top speed quickly. As a consequence of shortening the stride is that the rest of the race then depends on your speed endurance because after you hit top speed early you begin to SLOW DOWN, and this happens to everyone even the elites. Whoever slows down the slowest has the greater speed endurance to maintain the momentum of speed from dropping off too quickly. If you were to watch this phenomena on TV it looks like the sprinter is hitting another gear and taking off in the last 20-30 meters of the race, when really what's happening is that he/she is slowing down the least compared to the rest of the competitors.

Aspiring sprinters get into the habit (very quickly i should say) of just moving their limbs fast but not applying necessary power to get ones body moving faster through the track, also cadence is very much dependent on your body mechanics. I must also add that by forcing ones limbs to move faster and generating more cadence you apply your foot longer on the ground and increase ground contact time slowing you down even further, the goal is to be as little as possible on the ground (GROUND IS LAVA) all in the while when you do touch the ground you have to apply the greatest amount of force in that very very very small amount of time.

Your cadence should be the last thing to think about after technique is perfected, conditioning is tapered, and speed endurance is fully actualized. Stride length is ultimately the deciding factor anyway as you move faster due to less time being spent on the ground, while simultaneously generating so much force when the foot touches the ground that elevates the hips to get even higher in the air.

As for the running and catching yourself from falling, it is not quite like that. There is an exercise that sort of has this line of thinking and it is in a way that is used from coaches to find out what lead foot naturally presents itself in an athlete by secretly pushing them off balance from the back. When a novice is first trying to learn how to get off the blocks at a low angle to prolong the acceleration it may feel like you are going to fall on your face, but really this feels like this for only beginners because of course it will feel weird to them and the body hasn't dialed in the mechanical movement to it's nervous system, after a few block starts they will feel fine.

The reasoning for maintaining low angles during the drive phase is to extend ones acceleration, you want to accelerate for the longest time because it means you will hit top speed at the end of the race and very little of the race will be left to speed endurance. Problem is you need to be very strong and powerful to maintain the low angle and the transition from drive phase to fully upright sprinting for the top speed part of the race becomes more critical. If done wrong the accel was for nothing, you will see some guys accelerate very well and then just pop upright and they quickly slow down and everyone will have caught up and passed the individual in a few steps, all that work for nothing.

Last edited:
Wayne Van Niekerk will be on this list eventually. Only person to go sub 10s, sub 20s, and sub 43s. To quote Gunther: "What in the actual fuck!!"

He also holds the 300m WR.

AFAIC he may already be the greatest sprinter in history as it is.

It's correct. Simplified, but uncontroversial.
i dont think what you said is fully correct

an over-simplification of a complex system is inherently flawed, i.e. a 2d map of a 3d system.

Wayne Van Niekerk will be on this list eventually. Only person to go sub 10s, sub 20s, and sub 43s. To quote Gunther: "What in the actual fuck!!"

He is my favorite flesh at the moment.

Mr @Lead. Study his body....

The two greatest:

105839010_boltandVN_sport-large_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bq7Mg_60o0RRiIwRZvPpge3iHVGs0wfvVLPTBfDYTUZx4.jpg

Sub 44, 20, and 10(and 31 in 300).His world record in 43.03. Which I think there's a good chance Wayde breaks.

He's clearly already the most well-rounded sprinter ever. Started as a shorter sprinter, had hamstring problems, went to 400, crushed it, and now is doing shorter events more regularly.

He is my favorite flesh at the moment.

Mr @Lead. Study his body....
The YouTube user who made the video I posted in the OP also has one of individual sprinters. Here is Wayde's.

Sub 44, 20, and 10(and 31 in 300).His world record in 43.03. Which I think there's a good chance Wayde breaks.

He's clearly already the most well-rounded sprinter ever. Started as a shorter sprinter, had hamstring problems, went to 400, crushed it, and now is doing shorter events more regularly.

The 43.03 was the most incredible run I've ever seen. No one has EVER looked that good in the final 80m of a 400.

I still remember when Butch Reynolds (finally) broke Lee Evans' 1968 record. Then 7 yrs later when Michael Johnson broke Butch Reynolds' record. Neither of those runs was close to Van Neikerk's 400 in Rio.

i dont think what you said is fully correct

an over-simplification of a complex system is inherently flawed, i.e. a 2d map of a 3d system.
Well, you're wrong. I simplified a lot of concepts there, so you'll have to be more specific. One I didn't include is the effect of mathematical realities (i.e. the range of human height today, and where most humans-- and thus most talent-- is concentrated within that range of height).

Senri is being far more specific for those curious about more complicated considerations for sprinters. I was standing as far back as possible in order to satisfy the question.

The 43.03 was the most incredible run I've ever seen. No one has EVER looked that good in the final 80m of a 400.

I still remember when Butch Reynolds (finally) broke Lee Evans' 1968 record. Then 7 yrs later when Michael Johnson broke Butch Reynolds' record. Neither of those runs was close to Van Neikerk's 400 in Rio.

I want to taste him with you too Mr Dope. He will be beautiful.

Back