Tom Cruise's AMERICAN MADE (Dragonlord's Review)

If you have seen AMERICAN MADE, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
That's sort of tough to quantify. You have to look at the user base and how often they use the program. So, lets try and get a good estimate of how many "free" tickets they are using:
-Lets say around a quarter of the users are very infrequent and only take advantage of it once every other month: 400k * 0.25 * 6 = 600k
-Lets say half use it about once a month: 400k * 0.5 * 12 = 2400k
-Lets say 20% use it about twice a month: 400k * 0.2 * 24 = 1920k
-And for the final 5% they see a movie every week: 400k * 0.05 * 52 = 1040k
That totals out to 5.96mil tickets in a year. Sounds like a lot, but is it? Lets estimate how many tickets are sold for all movies in a single year. In 2016 the total domestic boxoffice was about $11.2bil with an average ticket price of about $8.61 a pop, which works out to about 1.3bil tickets sold. If our 5.96mil discount tickets are accurate then that's less than one half of one percent. So for a movie that makes 200mil they'd be missing out on less than 1mil of full price tickets.

It looks like the answer, currently, is that the effect isn't all that big. But it also won't be spread equally across all films: an indie that loses out on a full price ticket will feel that effect more than a tent-pole. But then there's the other side of the equation, where would that person have gone for a full priced ticket at all? So are they actually losing anything, or are they gaining a little? That's almost impossible to quantify without really in-depth usage and polling statistics, of which I have neither. My gut says that currently these programs have very little effect on the studios bottom line.
Thanks, JB.

I enjoyed this movie. Thought TC did well as the greedy, make money at any cost type of character.

I did not realize that General Hux from the Force Awakens was Schafer, until after I got home and was looking up the cast. Good on Gleeson, he's a good actor.

Also, that zero grav scene with Cruise and his wife could've been longer;)

I read that there was a lawsuit involving a plane crash that happened on set of this movie? Will look it up, but I don't remember hearing any news about it in the lead up to this film. Producers must've swept it under the rug

I read that there was a lawsuit involving a plane crash that happened on set of this movie? Will look it up, but I don't remember hearing any news about it in the lead up to this film. Producers must've swept it under the rug
Not really, it was steadily reported by media sites.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/tom-cruises-mena-producers-sued-884422

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/th...acing-lawsuit-crews-deadly-plane-crash-929090

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/american-made-producers-sue-fatal-plane-crash-1039053

I saw this like a month ago (uk) why is it out so late in usa?

Anyway was a great movie.. had no idea it was based on a real story going in.. kinda shock ending. I liked Cruise/Wife... her brother was really annoying and scummy

Easy 7.5/8 out of 10 for me

The Mummy (1999) is one of the greatest adventure films ever made. I'll fight anyone IRL who disagrees.

As for the new movie, I enjoyed it. It's no classic, but I thought it was a fun popcorn movie. I regret not seeing it in the theater.

As for The Wolfman. . . Speaking of underrated movies, that character was already done in an acceptable manner in the 2010 film with Anthony Hopkins and Ben Tel Doro.

giphy.gif
200.gif
giphy.gif

Yeah, if that's the projection then I'm looking for this one to smash those numbers. I just gotta believe that they fucked up in their calculations.

If not, then that's pretty damn disappointing. This has been one of my most anticipated films of the year since I saw the trailer.

Nah, this probably won't even beat Kingsman on its second week.

Speaking of box office numbers, I used to host a weekly box office prediction contest in here many years ago. If I revive it, would you, @shadow_priest_x and the others be interested?

Well I guess the closes one was Dragon.. man didn't expect so low numbers.

1. Kingsman: The Golden Circle - $16,935,565
2. It - $16,902,442
3. American Made - $16,776,390

4. The LEGO Ninjago Movie - $11,644,237
5. Flatliners - $6,574,326
6. Battle of the Sexes - $3,417,342
7. American Assassin - $3,315,644
8. Home Again - $1,726,563
9. Til Death Do Us Part - $1,521,803
10. mother! - $1,449,378

Bump

Heads up this is on HBO now.

Its a fun film. Fast paced, humerous.

I think it could have been soo much better though. Anyone who is smuggling drugs and dealing with the cartel probably isnt a super nice goofy likeable guy either. Just sayin. For the sake of a movie it makes you wanna like the guy, but its really not believable.

Wish they had more solo scenes with the cartel. Wish the killing was actually shown, could have had a much bigger impact on the viewer.

Wish we got to see whats her face naked

Not nearly as good as Blow.

Still. Watch it

I liked American made a lot. Very entertaining.

In the upper tier of these criminal "rise and fall" biopics. Better than blow, not as good as wolf of Wall Street

I liked blow better than wolf. Tuna >>>>>> Jonah

Back