Today 14yrs ago: Critical Countdown 2004

I dont know, stalling like Fitch would have been sorted out in Pride after the first time he took home 30% of his pay. Its only when we moved to the Unified Rules that positional stalling became a real strategy to win. I think the yellowcard system was suspect and ripe for abuse, but it made for fights that kept moving.
Its a double edged sword..but the way it was used in Japan was sometimes blatantly corrupt. A ref that can instantly take a point and 10 % of pay,just for the golly heck of it.

Its a double edged sword..but the way it was used in Japan was sometimes blatantly corrupt. A ref that can instantly take a point and 10 % of pay,just for the golly heck of it.
"blatantly corrupt"

Pride...Always Superlatives...Superlatives everywhere...

So much nostalgia. Makes me sad : (

I feel like I married MMA 20 years ago but I'm headed for a divorce. We were in love but we've slowly been drifting apart. Its nobodys fault, we are just two different people going different directions.

Compared to Pride, UFC events feel dirty and cheap like they're held in someone's basement

QuintonJacksonslamsRicardoArona_display_image.jpg

rampage-arona.jpg

arona_jackson.jpg

Every round of every GP ever hosted by Pride was fucking amazing. MMA has evolved, fighters on average are better etcetc, but nothing was as exciting as these GP’s. The most stacked tournaments in the history of the sport. When guys would fight multiple times in 1 night. Back when MMA was about fighting and nothing else.

Wow, only now, 14years later, I realised that Arona wasn't KOed by the actual slam but from the accidental headbut.
Mind = blown.
It is impossible to tell if arona was out or not in the split second btwn the back of his head smashing the floor to the moment their heads collided

Thanks TS! It sure brings back some golden memories! I didn’t even begin to follow the UFC frequently until a year later! It was all about Pride and K1 before that!

Vintage Rampage

Every round of every GP ever hosted by Pride was fucking amazing. MMA has evolved, fighters on average are better etcetc, but nothing was as exciting as these GP’s. The most stacked tournaments in the history of the sport. When guys would fight multiple times in 1 night. Back when MMA was about fighting and nothing else.
Even the name “Critical Countdown” gives me goosebumps... like something BIG is about to go down...

Young Rampage had such great TD's and TDD.

1.gif

Looks like Arona ran into a brick wall. This is one fight where Arona couldn't dominate his opponent from top position. Arona was forced to fight from the bottom against Rampage and that did not end so well.

Last edited:
...just btw guys...
Pride 21 is about to have its 16th
b-day...thinking about doing a thread for this one...(...you know which fight was on there...)
???
Or Critical Coubtdown 2005...which is also about to have its 13th b-day...
???

Last edited:

1.gif

Looks like Arona ran into a brick wall. This is one fight where Arona couldn't dominate his opponent from top position. Arona was forced to fight from the bottom against Rampage and that did not end so well.
Very true, Rampage was the only 205er in the world who could manhandle Arona. Although even he admitted in an interview (can’t remember when/where) that he was knocked out by Arona’s upkick and the hammerfists are what woke him back up. Crazy to think how different things could have been...

1.gif

...2steps into his TD attempt Arona was like:...fukk thatchy...i pull guard, caralho!

Way better than all the garbage UFC tries to feed us now.

Arona gets a bad rap for his style,and beating some beloved fighters,but he was a good guy who happened to show mercy and it cost him. When he got powerbombed,for sure he got headbutted,and he was right to complain about that.
We saw that in his.fight against Sakuraba

The day Fedor turned from amazing HW to literally a terminator sent from the future to dominate MMA

Holy hell what a time in MMA

Back