Today 14yrs ago: Critical Countdown 2004

How long did you work on that post? Brilliant!

I have this event on DVD for like 10 years.

Last edited:
This is making me feel nostalgic
<2>

No way would losing 10 percent of your purse for a foul would fly in the usa

It would work just fine in the USA. MMA fighters are independently hired contracted workers. You find many independent contracted workers in the USA get hired to do jobs if they finish job early they get paid extra if they finish late they loss X amount of money depending on what was agreed upon in contract. So yes MMA fighters could loss 10 - 20 percent of there purse if they get carded and don't perform to standards set by contract.

This was a great card. Remember seeing sergei mount and hammerfist semmy until he started making these grunt sounds every time he hit him. Bloody af
Truly traumatizing. It was literally watching a Russian paratrooper beating up a giant.

I liked almost every match on this card.

PRIDEBX01_-_Pride_Heavyweight_Grand_Prix_2004.jpg

51EKWPR5ZRL._SY445_.jpg

51WPCAECD3L._SY445_.jpg

51V9987CK2L._SY445_.jpg

Pride_Final_Conflict_2004_Poster.jpg

Pride was so epic all around in that era. It was almost like classic WWF compared to current day WWE.

I thought Randleman killed Fedor. Randleman really was a specimen.

I think even when they did the Pride 2005 event in the US they couldnt take 10% away, the ACs wouldnt ok it

I know they had slightly different rules about a few things for that event

That 2004 Critical Countdown was something, still remember getting that on PPV (I think it was $29.99, maybe less)
The rule to take money away from the guy is bullshit,even if he is fighting bad. Sometimes you cant be entertaining depending on whats going on,how the fights going. If your stalling to recover from a hit,ok maybe you can take a point,but no way should you lose money over that.

It would work just fine in the USA. MMA fighters are independently hired contracted workers. You find many independent contracted workers in the USA get hired to do jobs if they finish job early they get paid extra if they finish late they loss X amount of money depending on what was agreed upon in contract. So yes MMA fighters could loss 10 - 20 percent of there purse if they get carded and don't perform to standards set by contract.
Fuck those contract standards. If they dont like the way the guy fights just cut him.

Wow, only now, 14years later, I realised that Arona wasn't KOed by the actual slam but from the accidental headbut.
Mind = blown.

Wow, only now, 14years later, I realised that Arona wasn't KOed by the actual slam but from the accidental headbut.
Mind = blown.
Better late than never my friend ;)

I think it must've been a combination of both...
Guys have been knocked out by lesser slams....

The rule to take money away from the guy is bullshit,even if he is fighting bad. Sometimes you cant be entertaining depending on whats going on,how the fights going. If your stalling to recover from a hit,ok maybe you can take a point,but no way should you lose money over that.

I dont know, stalling like Fitch would have been sorted out in Pride after the first time he took home 30% of his pay. Its only when we moved to the Unified Rules that positional stalling became a real strategy to win. I think the yellowcard system was suspect and ripe for abuse, but it made for fights that kept moving.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back