PC To upgrade or to not upgrade? RTX 4080 super

Lol I had a poor 6600xt as well but just upgraded to a 7800xt since it was on sale for almost the same price CAD. It's crazy how expensive half decent GPUs are these days (at least outside the US).

probably gonna have to sell a kidney for the 5090.

Lol I had a poor 6600xt as well but just upgraded to a 7800xt since it was on sale for almost the same price CAD. It's crazy how expensive half decent GPUs are these days (at least outside the US).
They don't want to roll back from those crypto and AI profit margins. I was fortunate to get my 6600 XT given to me, and before that I had a 1660 Ti which I paid @$380 AUD for in 2019 and thought was ridiculously expensive. The idea of anyone forking over $2800+ AUD for a 4090 is incomprehensible.

They don't want to roll back from those crypto and AI profit margins. I was fortunate to get my 6600 XT given to me, and before that I had a 1660 Ti which I paid @$380 AUD for in 2019 and thought was ridiculously expensive. The idea of anyone forking over $2800 AUD+ for a 4090 is incomprehensible.
If it's any comfort, the retail channel in the US is having a bit of bother ingesting the new RTX 40 Supers, even after heavy discounts and high sell-through in the holiday season for midrange to upper-midrange GPUs. So it should slowly get better this year.

They don't want to roll back from those crypto and AI profit margins. I was fortunate to get my 6600 XT given to me, and before that I had a 1660 Ti which I paid @$380 AUD for in 2019 and thought was ridiculously expensive. The idea of anyone forking over $2800 AUD+ for a 4090 is incomprehensible.
Yeah exactly. Hopefully this isn't the new normal.

Yeah exactly. Hopefully this isn't the new normal.
It already is. That ship has sailed. The last cryptobubble had already popped before both AMD and NVIDIA launched their most recent lines. Yet they still priced them like it never ended. Prices are never rolling back to what they were before.

It already is. That ship has sailed. The last cryptobubble had already popped before both AMD and NVIDIA launched their most recent lines. Yet they still priced them like it never ended. Prices are never rolling back to what they were before.
I don't know man. I mean I hope not. Prices have been screwy since Covid disrupted everything so it might take a bit for normal to resume.

I don't know man. I mean I hope not. Prices have been screwy since Covid disrupted everything so it might take a bit for normal to resume.
My friend, c'mon, it's like taxes and government. Once you've allowed a new tax to be imposed without raising hell, does it ever go away? Even if it was supposedly meant to be an emergency fundraising tax? The politicians are never turning that faucet off.

If you think the flagship launch model (i.e. NVIDIA xx80 card) is ever going back below that $800 2022 constant dollars line, you're going to be bitterly disappointed.
1707549857313.png

My friend, c'mon, it's like taxes and government. Once you've allowed a new tax to be imposed without raising hell, does it ever go away? Even if it was supposedly meant to be an emergency fundraising tax? The politicians are never turning that faucet off.

If you think the flagship launch model (i.e. NVIDIA xx80 card) is ever going back below that $800 2022 constant dollars line, you're going to be bitterly disappointed.
View attachment 1028658
That graphic is so depressing. I don't mind top end cards being out of reach as long as we get some mid range models that are reasonable. I just have a hard time buying a GPU that costs more than an entire PS5, especially when their performance is comparable.

That graphic is so depressing. I don't mind top end cards being out of reach as long as we get some mid range models that are reasonable. I just have a hard time buying a GPU that costs more than an entire PS5, especially when their performance is comparable.
It is. Although I don't care for the inclusion of the xx90 cards (ex. 3090, 3090 Ti, 4090) when it deliberately excludes the Titan cards from earlier generations. That creates misleading noise, and it's unnecessary, because it doesn't change the truth the graph conveys.

View attachment 1028658

The high end solution when I first got into PC gaming was Obsidian's Quantum 3D x24 which was 2 Voodoo 2s on one board. It was $600 in 1998.
The 8800 Ultra was $800 in 2007 and even 3 of them in SLI still couldn't run Crysis at max settings.
And we got spoiled by Pascal.

You will always end up disappointed if you don't move on something that being said 50X0 cards are rumored on the horizon and the big news is they will improve performance per watt of 20 to 30 percent while providing at least a 20-40 percent performance improvement. I also wait 2 generations before jumping. Currently have 2 3090 Ti cards and a bunch of 3060 Ti cards. My power supplies in my home built PC are 1000 to 1200 Watt so upgrading should be fine.

"The Nvidia RTX 5000 series is expected to release in 2025, with a potential earlier launch in Q4 2024 based on market conditions."

The high end solution when I first got into PC gaming was Obsidian's Quantum 3D x24 which was 2 Voodoo 2s on one board. It was $600 in 1998.
The 8800 Ultra was $800 in 2007 and even 3 of them in SLI still couldn't run Crysis at max settings.
The cost of production has plummeted. Remember, the first home PC that ever broke through to the mainstream, the Apple II, would have cost over $6,000 today adjusted for inflation. Desktop PCs in the 90's typically ran over $3,000 adjusted for inflation, and we aren't talking about high-end gaming PCs.

This isn't a return to normalcy. It's a deviation from a longtime trend of lowering prices that had become normalized.

You mean this beast? It could probably double as a space heater after an hour.

4x-Quantum3D-Obsidian2-200SBi-740x423.jpg

You mean this beast? It could probably double as a space heater after an hour.

4x-Quantum3D-Obsidian2-200SBi-740x423.jpg
That's not an X24, it's a Mercury Brick.

The leap in prices compared to the decline in other PC components is just hard to stomach. Especially for anyone that's been building PCs for a few decades.

I remember the start of graphics cards rise to prominence as a PC component for 3D. Grabbing a Matrox G200+ and upgrading the VRAM to 16MB, then grabbing a Voodoo2 which ran via a D-Sub passthrough cable. Can't remember how much that all set me back, but it was considerable. I also spent a fair whack when I bought an ATI 9700 Pro All In Wonder for the analogue video input, although it was heavily discounted at the time. Usually though I've just bought midrange because of the diminishing returns.

I accept that VR use is ahead of the curve in terms of it's demand for performance, and that's what pushed my GPU upgrade this time. So I'm happy to move up a tier. Despite the increase in price in the XX70 and XX80 series cards though, they don't seem to have continued to offer similar percentages of flagship performance. The XX60 products are now just garbage.

The XX60 products are now just garbage.
It's kind of a moot point. Shitty value and underwhelming generational gains don't change the fact that most 60 level cards are sufficient for most of the gaming market's needs.