PC To upgrade or to not upgrade? RTX 4080 super

Nameless King

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
My current GPU is a GTX 1080, 8gb GPU bought back in 2016 so it's about high time to get something new.

I'm looking for something that will comfortably last 5 years at least.

4090 at this present moment looks like just a price tag especially when next gen is around the corner.

What would be better? Get 4080 super or just hang on till next gen? How much better next gen will be? Would 4080 super be an ok choice for now?

@Madmick

I can't promise that any card will last 5 years "comfortably" because I don't know what will happen in that time. The 4090 is definitely not the best value. The 4080 Super offers a much better performance per dollar near the current highest end of performance. AMD and NVIDIA are both expected to release their successor lines before the end of this year. I don't know how strong they will be. Anything I could dig up would just be speculative rumors or conjecture at this point.

Sorry, I don't have a crystal ball.

I'm looking for something that will comfortably last 5 years at least.
Depends on resolution and settings. My 1070 came out the same year and I can still maintain 60 FPS at 1080p but definitely not at the highest settings.

going from a 1080 to a 4080 will be a very nice upgrade. Like jumping out of a vw golf and into a porsche.

will it last you 5 years? who can say. I would say if you're gaming at the kind of 2k res mark it should last you quite a while. If you want to game at 4k you might consider the need for another upgrade down the line.

I can't promise that any card will last 5 years "comfortably" because I don't know what will happen in that time. The 4090 is definitely not the best value. The 4080 Super offers a much better performance per dollar near the current highest end of performance. AMD and NVIDIA are both expected to release their successor lines before the end of this year. I don't know how strong they will be. Anything I could dig up would just be speculative rumors or conjecture at this point.

Sorry, I don't have a crystal ball.

Well 4080 S it is then. Should last a while I hope. I just bought 1440p ultrawide screen 180 hz. Screen capable of 4k but it's recommend to run it at 1440, do you think I will get poor quality playing 4k anyway?

And second question, whats the point of OC version of cards? Even factory OC increases wear and tear on the card. Whats your opinion on that?

Well 4080 S it is then. Should last a while I hope. I just bought 1440p ultrawide screen 180 hz. Screen capable of 4k but it's recommend to run it at 1440, do you think I will get poor quality playing 4k anyway?

And second question, whats the point of OC version of cards? Even factory OC increases wear and tear on the card. Whats your opinion on that?
If you get it from a quality brand you should be fine.

With gpu and cpu chips, there's something known as the "silicon lotttery". Different chips will be more stable at higher clock speeds than others. Case in point, I won the silicon lottery 9700k. Been running it at 4600 mhz for 5 years with no issues...

Oc versions of GPUs usually have been tested to withstand higher clock rates. That being said with a 4080 super you'll be able to play anything at high fps without ever having to touch the clock speed

Really depends on what kinda gaming you do, monitor resolution etc.
If no 4k don't need above 4070 super to crank most games

Between your 7950X3D and the 4080 Super, if you couldn't game on 4K, then nobody could. Sure, there's the 4090, but that's a fraction of one percent of the market. So any game developer who intends for 4K to be a realistic resolution in their game will make it so for that setup.

As for framerate, just peel through 4080 review results. Here's Techpowerup for the Founder's Edition. The 4080 Super ought to be 5%-10% better than this, and an AIC with a boosted clock several percent better than that.

Between your 7950X3D and the 4080 Super, if you couldn't game on 4K, then nobody could. Sure, there's the 4090, but that's a fraction of percent of the market. So any game developer who intends for 4K to be a realistic resolution in their game will make it so for that setup.

As for framerate, just peel through 4080 review results. Here's Techpowerup for the Founder's Edition. The 4080 Super ought to be 5%-10% better than this, and an AIC will a boosted clock several percent better than that.

Not long ago you said that AMD is years behind Nvidia or something along those lines. Are you still standing by that opinion? Because to me looks like team red is on it's way to beat down team green just like team blue. I don't think Nvidia cares too much about gaming market at this point as the AI is the main source of their income.

Really depends on what kinda gaming you do, monitor resolution etc.
If no 4k don't need above 4070 super to crank most games

Yea but I'm type of a guy who buys PC parts every 5 years as opposed to most of you switching stuff every year or 2. I was quite happy with 1080 up until 2021/22 where I could no longer play on highest details.

Not long ago you said that AMD is years behind Nvidia or something along those lines. Are you still standing by that opinion? Because to me looks like team red is on it's way to beat down team green just like team blue. I don't think Nvidia cares too much about gaming market at this point as the AI is the main source of their income.
Yes. I hate having to admit it, because NVIDIA are so often dicks, but it's true. The 4090 still enjoys a gaping advantage over its nearest competitor (RX 7900 XTX) in raw rasterization, around <20%+ at 4K, and the architecture more generally is just superior as can be observed in metrics like energy efficiency.

What matters most to any consumer is what you get for your dollar, though. But all those features I've long dismissed as inconsequential gimmicks are becoming increasingly important as we advance into a graphical landscape of diminishing gains from rasterization. And NVIDIA is further ahead than ever before. AMD finally put out their own framerate generation, and like with other features, it's an ersatz offering to what NVIDIA pioneers. AMD is hustling, but they're always chasing the leader.
  • DLSS > FSR (this includes frame generation technologies)
  • RTX Ray-Tracing > AMD Ray-Tracing
  • Gsync > Freesync
  • RTX Super Resolution > Radeon Super Resolution
  • ULMB 2 (Ultra Low Motion Blur) > FMF (Fluid Motion Frames)
  • NVENC > AVC
  • RTX Voice > AMD Audio Noise Suppression
  • NVIDIA Reflex > nothing

And there's a whole bunch of stuff in its infancy, a lot of it associated with A.I., like RTX Remix, that NVIDIA is already working to mature where AMD will be forced to scramble to throw out a hastily assembled Frankenstein to compete when that feature really gets going, and starts generating buzz at some point in the next several years. That's in addition to the fact that typically NVIDIA's implementations of technology that both companies support tends to be superior such as with DirectX 12 Ultimate features (ex. DirectStorage performance). These are also continuing to become more relevant.

Driver stability/support has mostly been equalized, as far as I can tell, tough to tell, and software interfaces is mostly subjective (GeForce Experience vs. Adrenalin).

Ultimately, I think that AMD is viable, and often offers a much better value at various purchase points depending on the date. But I don't know where you're getting this notion that AMD is ahead of NVIDIA in terms of GPU engineering.

AMD has done miserably with RX 7000 sales, it's not remotely to a 1a vs 1b kind of thing. It's not entirely clear AMD can turn it around on the GPU side next generation either.

Nvidia just had a huge edge in brand recognition and relationships with OEMs and SI's at this point on the GPU side.

IMO the 4070 line is the best bang for the buck, especially considering your upgrading all the way from a 1080.

75% of the performance of the 4080 at about 40% of the price.

I would imagine you'd be fine. The 3080 for example is 3.5 years old at this point and is still a really good card.

Also helps that where over 3 years into this most recent console generation so the probability of something groundbreaking happening game engine/development wise is pretty low (it's not like a PS6 with highend hardware is coming out next year that will force developers to push requirements/brute power)

Reactions: PEB
I would imagine you'd be fine. The 3080 for example is 3.5 years old at this point and is still a really good card.

Also helps that where over 3 years into this most recent console generation so the probability of something groundbreaking happening game engine/development wise is pretty low (it's not like a PS6 with highend hardware is coming out next year that will force developers to push requirements/brute power)
Most games released are still based on accommodating the previous generation, devs still aren't really tapping the strengths of current gen consoles a lot of the time.

Working backward, most AAA releases that have come out were developed before dev kits were really even available.

Most games released are still based on accommodating the previous generation, devs still aren't really tapping the strengths of current gen consoles a lot of the time.

Working backward, most AAA releases that have come out were developed before dev kits were really even available.
There going on year 5 of this generation so it might just be the new normal at this point. By the time they even try to tap the into strength a zen 2 CPU with a 2070S level GPU will be extremely low end anyways so a 4080 super shouldn't be taken to its knees

There going on year 5 of this generation so it might just be the new normal at this point. By the time they even try to tap the into strength a zen 2 CPU with a 2070S level GPU will be extremely low end anyways so a 4080 super shouldn't be taken to its knees
Yeah, we'll start to see more improvements now that we're getting into the backhalf of the current gen.

And yes, 4080 Super will be good for 2K for the better part of a decade to be honest, even accounting for bad PC optimization. Most PC components at this point aren't really a question of if they are bad, just whether the value is bad.