TJ getting schooled badly by lomachenko

TJ looked fatigued. Still did decent against a guy like Lomachenko

When you're 396-1 as an amateur and 8-1 as a pro, this was expected. Loma was/is clearly a different level, but TJ didn't do too bad considering he was sparring with a guy who is widely considered the P4P best boxer on the planet.

What really matters is that TJ is in there training with guys this good. He has also been working with Bud Crawford, too, so training with these guys is only going to make him better. He's doing the right thing to improve his game.

TJ has all the potential in the world and is known for picking things up quickly (his striking became very good in a very short period of time in the UFC), so this will only push him to a different level, in my opinion. Being very confident can take you a long way in combat sports.

Not many fighters have made it to TJ's level in such a short period of time, especially in terms of striking ability overall. It has taken a few years for TJ to become what he is today, but his striking is so good that it seems like he's been doing it forever. Not many fighters can improve like that in striking, not that quickly.

I hope he continues working with guys of this caliber because not many fighters get that honor. Fighters work with high level boxers all the time, but not a guy like Lomachenko. That guy is ridiculously good. TJ got outclassed, but for an MMA fighter, he did OK against quite possibly THE best boxer in the world right now.

/rant

I mean, it's Lomenchenko. It's like saying "WoW! Mike Trout couldn't break one of Tyron Smith's tackles. What an overrated dummy!"

what exactly did you expect?
lomachenko is one of the best boxers of all time, and mma is a fallback sport.

This was bad. Loma wasnt even trying too. Imagine how bad it would be if he actually went 100%

Cody is gonna eat him alive as well.

you must not know who Loma is if you think this reflectshould badly on the at all.

Lamachenko actually said TJ was tired at the end of the rounds. There is another video when TJ was fresh and he was doing quite well. The fact that he could even hit Lamochenko says a lot. Same with Conor when he Spared Van Heerdon. I think MMA fighters unique movements do throw boxers off more than people will admit or realize. See with Conor. He doesn't have to be the best Boxer to beat Floyd. He just needs to pose a unorthodox threat early and land his bomb of a left. Not saying he beats Floyd but I do believe he has more of a chance than people think. If Boxers are so superior to MMA fighters. When it has to do with distance timing precision. They shouldn't get touched once.

I dunno... all things considered, I think TJ looked alright.

Lomachenko is obviously being very conscious to just touch him with the hands without ringing his bell, but regardless, TJ was slipping shots here and there and landed a few of his own. That's a very high level, lifelong boxer in there. Elite of the elite. Not sure what people are expecting from a long time wrestler with half a dozen years of striking experience.

More importantly, TJ was INVITED by Loma's team to spar, which shows they respected his skills enough to be a sparring partner. TJ is supposed to lose, but also supposed to be good enough to offer some kind of challenge. Also, this experience will only make TJ better, and I doubt Cody is getting these kind of looks at Alpha Male.

Tj definitely not winning and missing a lot of shots, but he lands at least one good one. His work is far more labored tho and Loma looks effortless, hitting with easily as much power no wind up. Interesting video, thanks.

Lamachenko actually said TJ was tired at the end of the rounds. There is another video when TJ was fresh and he was doing quite well. The fact that he could even hit Lamochenko says a lot. Same with Conor when he Spared Van Heerdon. I think MMA fighters unique movements do throw boxers off more than people will admit or realize. See with Conor. He doesn't have to be the best Boxer to beat Floyd. He just needs to pose a unorthodox threat early and land his bomb of a left. Not saying he beats Floyd but I do believe he has more of a chance than people think. If Boxers are so superior to MMA fighters. When it has to do with distance timing precision. They shouldn't get touched once.

Not sure I'd go this far. Non fighters in any combat sport can tend to make the fight appear more awkward, and therefore more even, than it actually is.

I come from a wrestling background. It happens there, too, if a guy is strong enough and athletic enough. But he doesn't know how to how to get a wrestler to his back. He sure as hell doesn't know how to stick him there. And he doesn't know the big no no positions he needs to avoid if he wants to stay alive. At some point, he's going to reach back, or give up underhooks, or try to circle around back to avoid a throw instead of coming back out front, and boom. That's all she wrote.

It's no different in boxing. Just because it looks different doesn't mean the less experienced guy has a better chance. A disciplined boxer simply isn't giving up openings that are available to exploit by an inexperienced fighter. But if he's patient his own opening will come. And then that's that.

Play poker sometime against a person who has never played before. He'll be impossible to read sometimes, and you'll lose hands that you would never lose against a guy with a little more experience. But that doesn't mean that in the end you aren't leaving the table with all his money.

When the season started we thought the Thunder and the Rockets had comparable talent. Don't bring me that mess.
Your post should read
"Hard to win when you shoot 18 times in the 4th quarter at 25%"
Most valuable brick layer imho.
Ill say that Westbrook is a damn good player but him breaking Oscar Robertsons triple double record is only due to him being the only player worth a damn on his team.
Hes good, but he needs help. Hell never get a ring with him leading the way by himself.

He did grappling back in the day as a kid and was damn good.
Hes better at grappling than TJ is at boxing.

Uh okay. Gee maybe TJ should not train with guys like this. Sherdog might think he sucks..

Uh, Lomachenko would utterly fucking destroy Cody. Get outta here with your delusions.

TJ's good enough to be a rotational sparring partner that's not a complete heavy bag for Hi Tech, which means his boxing is upper tier for MMA, as is already known. You don't watch these things expecting TJ to outbox a p4p boxer, but if he's more than just a dummy it bodes well for his boxing in his own sport. Same with Conor/Van Heerden (although Conor's boxing ability is better than TJ's).

what exactly did you expect?
lomachenko is one of the best boxers of all time, and mma is a fallback sport.

Lets not overstate it. Sure Lomachenko is a technical prodigy but he has not the wins at pro to talk him up like that. He was insanely hyped the minute he turned pro and his loss wasnt what they planned for.

Lets just wait. There are few "best boxers of all time" and Loma at the moment definitely doesnt belong in that racket.

Back