Time to end this When is a Champ a Champ? Poll

When is a Champ a Champ

• Total voters
It takes time and hardwork and dedication to even get a title shot and to say they aren't a champ when they get the belt.....really?

Voted: He won the title of Champ but needs to lock it down with successful defense.

A real champ is one who defends the belt, thats the whole point of being a champ. Anyone in UFC can be a champ on the right night, but a real champ defends the belt many many many times like Anderson and GSP

Sports teams don't have to defend in order to be known as the champion, neither should fighters.

Once you're champ, you're champ.

Defenses or not.
The only problem is there is a set path in every team sport to get to that title. The best team may not win every year, but the path is exactly the same year in year out.

People like Matt Serra getting gifted a shot for winning TUF or Conor getting a title shot at 155 with no previous fights really murky the waters. Especially when so many legit contenders are there.

I understand they are and were real champions, but it does leave a lot to be desired.

The whole you need to defend before you're the champ is something Matt Hughes said and people copy it.

If you beat the champ you're the champ, it's pretty simple.

@paynebringer it's kinda like discussing NFL Qb's. Trying to separate the "Elite" from the "very good". Everyone has different opinions.

if you win the belt, you are the champ

It takes time and hardwork and dedication to even get a title shot and to say they aren't a champ when they get the belt.....really?

It takes even more time and hard work and dedication to defend the title against top contenders 2-3 times.

winning the belt = champ. you guys are never going to be satisfied with corner mc2belts. i have never heard anyone saying defending your belt makes you the champ before corner beat aldo.

It takes even more time and hard work and dedication to defend the title against top contenders 2-3 times.
so you are not a champ until you defend the belt 2-3 times? are you just setting up for your next excuse as to why conor isnt the champ after he defends his belt? lolz

When you win the undisputed belt, you are the champion.

That is all.

I've gone back & forth with a few here on this subject I'm old school and believe you not a "Undisputed Champ" until you lock down your belt with a successful title defense. Until then your title will always be disputed lets face it any hump can win a belt, but not every hump can defend one time and time again.

The example I use is two people run for the presidency one winz the election they now call that person President elect until he's confirmed.

Two fighters go at it one wins he's declared New or Still Champion, if new he's holding that belt & title but in my eyez he's a title holder until he confirms that he can not only win a belt but also defend it to be truly called "Undisputed" without question. Winning belts is a two part process you win and then defend

This is not to diminish those one and done Champs Holly Holm, Miesha Tate, Fabrico Werdum, Matt Serra, Eddie Alvarez. No one can take away that moment from them and no one can take that sour taste of being a one & done Champ and future trivia question...
Only one Champ Champ doofus. And that's Conor McGregor.

To solidify yourself as the best, you need a defense or two. to be the champ, you just have to beat the champ.

When he wins the belt. This wouldnt even be close if it wasn't for Conor and his polarising personality here.

The OP is so full of nonsense that for me to go through it and detail all the things that don't make sense would take me probably a full hour. What a retarded post. The poll itself doesn't even make sense.

By winning the belt.
But you stop being champ by clearly avoid defending it IMO.

Avoiding it and not fighting is one thing. Avoiding the defense so that you can pursue bigger and better things is a different story.

And also, if you're claiming that a champ is no longer champ if he doesn't defend, then who is the champ? Nobody?

Back