Tim Kennedy: "It's a good thing I have a job because the UFC does not pay very well"

maybe he needs to negotiate better deals with his team!

So you wanna be an Ultimate Fighter?

hell no. I remember seeing one thread on sherdog few months ago asking if someone would encourage/support their kids/close family member going to UFC/MMA as a profession, and the responses were like no.

I make more money then him, lets say he fights 3 times a year, that means before tax he probably makes 60k, I make more then that.

However....

I don't get months off at a time, I don't work 2months training fight x3 .

So he works 8 months out of the year to make about 80% of what I make, seems right to me.

Next please.

You have choices in life.

1) Fight for money.
2) Fight for money and do work on the side.
3) Focus on work only.

Pick one. Stop complaining about the choice you've made.

he's not complaining, he is educating you.

well, he's trying...

Dana doesn't take to well to guys complaining about money. I expect him to get released soon or relegated to the prelims.

I always wonder how many hours of work these fighters are putting in every week.

I know over training is a serious concern, but when I hear about the hours of training, I'm often surprised how little it is.

I'm not trying to justify UFC's pay, but it seems like the fighters have a lot of time to make extra money, and UFC puts them on a pretty nice platform to do so. I mean, I know guys who work 9-5 and then pay to go to the gym 6 hours a week.

And another person bitching about money while not mentioning how much he gets from sponsors

I make more money then him, lets say he fights 3 times a year, that means before tax he probably makes 60k, I make more then that.

However....

I don't get months off at a time, I don't work 2months training fight x3 .

So he works 8 months out of the year to make about 80% of what I make, seems right to me.

Next please.

Yeah, plenty of people make more money than most UFC fighters (and we dont get bash in the head and have a much longer career span)...

And almost no one fights 3x a yr anymore (due to injuries, medical suspension post fight, and scheduling/match up issues).. Remember either DW or some other source gave a stat that on avg, an UFC fighter fights like 1.8x/yr ...

sounds like his gym and coaches should lower their damn fees.

My hats off to you Mr. Tim Kennedy, we've had a few other fighters come out of the wood work lately and echo similar sentiments. The more fighters who start to stand up and discuss these kinds of things the better. It will be the only way for change to occur.

For the amount of dedication and sacrifice these fighters make leading up to and during a bout, the pain and risks associated etc. They deserve much more than the short end of the stick they're currently getting.

A career in combat sports can lead to very ugly things later in life. Pugilistic dementia is very serious and who is there to support these fighters once their career's are over but the effects from that career remain? They accumulate over time and lead to a host of problems in life. These fighters need to unionize, they need better representation across the board.

I have to agree with him. With the amount of time this sport demands towards training, it's a joke compared to all other sports. You can sit on the damn bench and make Anderson Silva money.

You have choices in life.

1) Fight for money.
2) Fight for money and do work on the side.
3) Focus on work only.

Pick one. Stop complaining about the choice you've made.

These guys want to be compensated like other fighters, such as Anderson and GSP.
It's not fair to pay Andy and GSP so much and pay other fighters so little.

Tim Kennedy shouldnt even be making 70K lol what is this guy complaining about.

dude is mid tier at best in the UFC.

The UFC seems to have a small army of online persona's which push their agenda/propaganda at online forums just like this one. The more people who start to see these schills for what they are the better imo.

The fighters are currently drastically under paid and all too often signed into one sided, unfair contracts and summarily dismissed like used napkins after Zuffa is done with them.

War Broke Kennedy?

Seriously, he is not getting a lot of money but there is still sponsors money that nobody seems to talk about. UFC should definitely cover that travel and medical expenses, but that's what unions are for and fighters should work on that between themselves. But then again there is something called bonuses of the night so if you fight exciting, even if losing, you can earn some big bucks. Just ask Joe Lauzon, he knows thing or two about that. Or fight boring and go home with just a show up purse.

Last edited:
Nutrition and lodging are not expenses. Everybody pays for food and housing regardless of their chosen profession.

well the money was even lower when he first got into MMA. so what possessed him to start fighting if he already knew the money was shit.. dont complain when you know the consequences beforehand

Yeah, plenty of people make more money than most UFC fighters (and we dont get bash in the head and have a much longer career span)...

And almost no one fights 3x a yr anymore (due to injuries, medical suspension post fight, and scheduling/match up issues).. Remember either DW or some other source gave a stat that on avg, an UFC fighter fights like 1.8x/yr ...

So if he fights twice a year he'd make 1/2 of what I make for training and fighting 1/2 the time I work.

He may not like having to do meetings and fucking tele-group-suck a ladeda dick calls all day, but that's what I do 47 weeks a shitty year to earn a pretty good living.

I don't like getting punched in the face, but he does it for 2 nights a year and trains for 20 weeks. I think he's doing okay.

Back