Tile exercise for Boxing:

They are too dependent on the rear-hip. Floyd isn't always, but in that instance he was, should have dipped left after his initial pull. Same with Berto. But if your lead foot is sideways and your front leg already internally rotated, youre going to have a very hard time using your lead hip.

Yea if your lead foot is turned in then you're not gonna be comfortable over your left hip. You need to have the ability to externally rotate it easily, even if you just internally rotated it while doing something like throwing a left hook. Then once the foot position is right, and assuming you have the mobility to slip that way, you need to be comfortable slipping right then left. Most people slip one way then can only slip deeper to that side. You should be able to slip back the other way, or roll under. And assuming you can do all that, if you get blinded by the jab like Berto then you likely won't have time to react to the right hand, so you should probably move your head or feet preemptively.

Yeah I thought that's what it was. I just needed I hear it from people that know more about It.... I guess that gives me every reason to point my lead foot more forward now. I personally feel more comfortable on my rear hip and doing all movements that way. Time to drill more

Yeah, but feeling comfortable there shouldn't be due to a limitation. Right now, you really have no other choice. Once you get to know your lead hip, you'll see there's a ton you can do from there.

Hey Sinister, I wanted to ask you a question if I may

1. Is there anything different between slipping from the movements you show in the tile exercise or it's actually the same movements?

2. can I record myself doing the tile exercise and post it for your review?

That is how I teach slipping. And yes, go ahead.

Had a question myself, I was wondering about the step out while slipping the right hand. Beginners, and those of us who still find it uncomfortable at times to slip the outside angle, I wonder if using the step out + slip might be an easier way to get someone comfortable moving towards the right hand.

I don't know if everyone feels this way but in my own sparring sessions I've sometimes found myself stepping to the outside of a right hand to be much more comfortable a read and reaction, and it seems as though the easy follow up to that would be to start adding the hip fold, and shoulder turn (eventually getting one more consistently slipping through habit without the step, and realizing the step slip simply adds another tool in the evasion box).

Eh, I don't like to use a step to teach a slip. A step is a step, a slip is a slip. Your hips learn to work now, you do less work later. Otherwise, you're doing two things now to try to just do one later, if it ever happens. More likely you just get stuck doing two things all the time. Twice the work.

Okay that's actually a good point. Though I can see strategic reasons in occasionally doing that, a shorter opponent keeping his or her, head and hips, moving as they try to come in on a taller opponent for instance.

What ranks higher in your opinion footwork that helps you evade or hip movement that helps you evade? Or are they equally important?

Equally important. Management of distance is the big-picture, and it can and should be done with both.

Okay Sinister I'm hoping you can watch my try at the tile exercise and let me know what's up...I uploaded it on youtube cause I don't know how to upload it directly on sherdog, or even if that's possible and I'm at work right now so I don't really have so much time to figure it out- I hope the youtube link isn't a problem for you

thanks in advance

address below

Last edited by a moderator:
I apologize if this is a stupid question, but I'm also surprised nobody else has asked it.

What are the tiles for? Why is this exercise performed on a 2x3 tile grid instead of just in the usual stance?

If I stand on 12 inch tiles for this exercise, it widens my stance about 3-4 inches. Does the exercise work better with a wider stance, or are the tiles a visualization aid, or some other reason. Just curious I guess.

I apologize if this is a stupid question, but I'm also surprised nobody else has asked it.

What are the tiles for? Why is this exercise performed on a 2x3 tile grid instead of just in the usual stance?

If I stand on 12 inch tiles for this exercise, it widens my stance about 3-4 inches. Does the exercise work better with a wider stance, or are the tiles a visualization aid, or some other reason. Just curious I guess.

As I recall in another thread, that 2 wide, three deep allowed for proper foot alignment for beginners by forcing the feet in to proper front-back , left-right alignment..

Okay Sinister I'm hoping you can watch my try at the tile exercise and let me know what's up...I uploaded it on youtube cause I don't know how to upload it directly on sherdog, or even if that's possible and I'm at work right now so I don't really have so much time to figure it out- I hope the youtube link isn't a problem for you

thanks in advance

address below

My only real qualms are two-fold. When you go to your left hip, you're using too much legs. You don't go ALL THE WAY forward so that your back foot is kicked out behind you. You merely rotate the torso via the hips, then fold the left hip. What should happen is your right shoulder will go towards your left knee. The other thing is your hook, stop it at the impact point. Not beyond.

What barnowl said. There are two acceptable foot spacings for boxing. One is shoulder width, the other is slightly greater than shoulder width. Remaining in the tiles or squares teaches students to use their hips for evasive movement without getting out of proper foot positioning. When you add punches, you're learning to punch without the feet widening by default.

Damn it the weight shift aside I've been doing it in two steps; rotating the shoulders, then folding the hip.

Turning the hips to rotate the torso makes way more sense and is smoother.

So pissed at myself for not realizing that, that might address why I feel my slip to the left is kind of slow.

My only real qualms are two-fold. When you go to your left hip, you're using too much legs. You don't go ALL THE WAY forward so that your back foot is kicked out behind you. You merely rotate the torso via the hips, then fold the left hip. What should happen is your right shoulder will go towards your left knee. The other thing is your hook, stop it at the impact point. Not beyond.

Ok thanks a lot!!!

Funny thing is when I first started doing it I didn't use any leg, I only turned my torso and folded my hip. Then I thought that was probably wrong, cause I didn't really feel weight on my lead leg. Then I started focusing on my hips but thought that must be wrong too. I think I finally understand how it should be done. I know you must be busy with your own things but If you don't mind again I will like to practice and then post another video.

does the pelvic bowl stay straight? or if we magine that there is water in the pelvic bowl, is the water is spilled out when the hip is folded or does the position stay?

basically folding the hip isnt it basically like a squatting motion to rest on one leg with a turning of the waist?
what I mean is it sounds like the muscles work a lot but by simply using gravity(dropping) and turning we can rest the weight on one leg or the other and drop the weight and stack the weight on the folded joints (posterior chain) to load the hips which than can be used to shoot the weight trough unfolding (punching), or am I mistaken?

Last edited:
I guess I found the answer: "The pelvic bowl

Imagine that your pelvis is in fact a bowl filled with water. When we sit down we want to make sure that the contents of the bowl do not spill over. There should be no tilting, front/back or up/down. We simply rotate, lower and elevate it.
"
source: Improve the biomechanics in your legs http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/showthread.php?p=71132187#post71132187

folding hip= lowering and turning pelvic bowl and not tilting the pelvic bowl diagonally downward

I don't know if this has been said before but reading this thread and looking at the exercises they remind me a lot of tai chi.

Especially all the emphasis on sinking and folding into the hips, rotating levelly at the waist and not getting to far out with your knee.

Cool stuff!

I guess I found the answer: "The pelvic bowl

Imagine that your pelvis is in fact a bowl filled with water. When we sit down we want to make sure that the contents of the bowl do not spill over. There should be no tilting, front/back or up/down. We simply rotate, lower and elevate it.
"
source: Improve the biomechanics in your legs http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/showthread.php?p=71132187#post71132187

folding hip= lowering and turning pelvic bowl and not tilting the pelvic bowl diagonally
downward

Sorry I neglected to respond before you found it, but yes.

I don't know if this has been said before but reading this thread and looking at the exercises they remind me a lot of tai chi.

Especially all the emphasis on sinking and folding into the hips, rotating levelly at the waist and not getting to far out with your knee.

Cool stuff!

It's not dissimilar to many principals of what the British referred to as "Chinese Boxing."

Back