Tile exercise for Boxing:

Hello ! I have got a terribly silly question. My english is not perfect but i don't see the connection with this exercice and " tiles " ... I'm afraid i didn t understand ... :)

The flooring is made of "tiles"...12 x 12 in size, which are used to position the feet.

Watched the prodigy felix Verdejo fight tonight and I couldnt think of anything else but this thread. He has this style in all of his fights but I'll just post the one from tonight.

Is this is a liable example of the tile exercise from an active fighter today? The way he constantly moves his body / shifts his weight, looks like this thread to me. Any thoughts?

Sonny Liston - Defense Highlights

I really rate Liston highly. I feel like he sometimes gets overlooked when discussing the best HW champions but he's someone I really rate h2h and even Foreman said that he was along with lyle the only man to ever make him box instead of punch with his opponent. Tbf it was a young Foreman who sparred with Liston but still.
He had a great jab, was really strong, a very hard puncher, good defence like this video shows and eh could fight on the outside with his insaely long reach but was also really good on the inside and obviously few boxers ever would dare to exchange with him.
Even sizewise he would pass as a small HW today.

I would agree with your assessment. Liston was amazing, but his career seems overshadowed by the mob affiliation, which is a shame.

another good example of a person that applies the "tile exercise " or rather hip movement =carmen basilio

Kid Gavilan v Carmen Basilio - Welterweight Masterclass

Imagine if Carmen would rely only on footwork for positioning without moving his hips...

Last edited:
When Sam Langford was asked the secret of his hitting power he replied, “'Tain't nosecret, all I do is put my hips into them punche"

As a beginner to boxing, I'd like to say that Sinister/Luis has my utter gratitude for the work he's done. My coach at my gym is great and really knowledgeable, but I don't think he is quite as good at explaining this stuff as Luis is. I wish I could go over to Luis' gym, but I'm unfortunately on a different continent, so that's currently outside the realm of possibility.

I've got a few questions regarding the tile exercise though.

1) Performing the tile exercise I should be using minimal amounts of knee movement, yes? My legs do get tired because I'm holding them slightly bent (but that's mostly because I'm a beginner and new to this.)
2) Being (currently) a somewhat, uh, large gentleman, when I fold at the read hip, my ass sticks out. Is that the idea, or am I screwing up?

Anyone who can answer these questions would be a great help, not just Sinister, and thank you all for being so free with your knowledge.

"The camera is deceiving, they move enough, but just barely. Minimalization. Both of them are also pretty new at this and stiff-hipped. So I don't let them exaggerate much beyond just getting the necessary fold of the hip. That said, I've stood in front of them and tested their positioning with a 1-2, from both Southpaw and Orthodox stances. They're good."

Did anyone else have difficulties when doing it from the opposite stance (southpaw instead orthodox)? particularly the lead hip, in othodox this hip is easier to use for me

It feels like when in southpaw stance that my rear ankle is to tight to let me go down further on the lead hip, when I lift the rear ankle I able to fold the lead hip with much more range of motion; otherwise it´s very limited in an orthodox stance this is not a problem ; does this make sense?

Last edited:
Always funny to see newbies move without internal coordination.

Reminds me of when I was in the same boat thinking "How the fuck do I do this right?" And drilling what seems like millions of reps of basics, LOL!

As a beginner to boxing, I'd like to say that Sinister/Luis has my utter gratitude for the work he's done. My coach at my gym is great and really knowledgeable, but I don't think he is quite as good at explaining this stuff as Luis is. I wish I could go over to Luis' gym, but I'm unfortunately on a different continent, so that's currently outside the realm of possibility.

I've got a few questions regarding the tile exercise though.

1) Performing the tile exercise I should be using minimal amounts of knee movement, yes? My legs do get tired because I'm holding them slightly bent (but that's mostly because I'm a beginner and new to this.)
2) Being (currently) a somewhat, uh, large gentleman, when I fold at the read hip, my ass sticks out. Is that the idea, or am I screwing up?

Anyone who can answer these questions would be a great help, not just Sinister, and thank you all for being so free with your knowledge.

Sorry I never saw your post. But it's a good idea to quote my posts if you want my attention, that way I get an alert. The alerts on this board don't come just when someone posts in a thread you start.

Yes, minimal knee movement. In the beginning, until your hips are sufficiently flexible that you don't NEED to move your knees to make the motion happen. Only then is it okay to actually use knees.

And yes, ass out. The people who have the most difficulty with this motion have weak posterior chains, in other words, the ass-less.

"The camera is deceiving, they move enough, but just barely. Minimalization. Both of them are also pretty new at this and stiff-hipped. So I don't let them exaggerate much beyond just getting the necessary fold of the hip. That said, I've stood in front of them and tested their positioning with a 1-2, from both Southpaw and Orthodox stances. They're good."

Did anyone else have difficulties when doing it from the opposite stance (southpaw instead orthodox)? particularly the lead hip, in othodox this hip is easier to use for me

It feels like when in southpaw stance that my rear ankle is to tight to let me go down further on the lead hip, when I lift the rear ankle I able to fold the lead hip with much more range of motion; otherwise it´s very limited in an orthodox stance this is not a problem ; does this make sense?

Yes this makes sense, most people have one hip/ankle that's much more flexible and/or strong than the other.

I've not asked a person if they have tiles in their house, and the answer been "no." So basically, this exercise can be done anywhere and everywhere that tiles exist (preferably the 10-12 inch floor tiles):

Now what you can't see is he's looking in a mirror. I'm sitting a little off to the side from his view of his feet so he can still see them. In the beginning it's easy to see he dips WAY too far forward, head coming exactly over the lead foot. That's not horrible, but it's not optimal, either. When he begins to use the hip alone and significantly less knee, it looks good.

Also note that this kid has a problem with internal rotation. It's very difficult for him to point his knees away from each other. So I'm working with him a lot on this. But how this movement translates to punching:

And:

Because straight punches require internal rotation, his right hand and right uppercut look very good. But before he learned how to do the tile exercise he'd always lean so hard to his left he'd be beyond his foot, and easily knocked off-balance. Now his head barely moves, and he can push his weight towards the front foot by using his hips. The stronger he gets with the exercises I've given him, the more definitive that will become. On the jab, he's making an effort to push those knees apart, to better load the rear hip for the right hand (and his right hand is already stupidly hard, this makes it worse). When paired with the basic movement provided by the tile exercise, you can see his head moves when he punches, but he's not leaning and his weight loads from foot to foot (he's trying to do the toe-taps, but not good at it yet so you can only subtly hear the weight shifts). What that translates to is offense and defense at the same time. Another thing to note is how level his shoulder stay. Because of the slight knee bends, drops in elevation, two things happen: 1) He drops out of the opponent's direct line of sight, 2) his shoulders raise on their own to protect his face without him needing to lift the shoulder WITHIN the joint. In other words he's not going to be in any danger of hyper-extension, or future rotator cuff problems.

Here's the updated video of corrections to be made. Sorry for the lack of volume, make sure those speakers are turned up!

1st vid reminded me of this:

Karate gets tons of shit for its "stances", yet here we see how they teach proper shifting and balance similarly as the boxing tile drill.

Back