Rewatch Throw back to Silva teaching Marquardt how to wrestle and ground n pound

Its strange looking back at this and seeing how small Marquardt looks in there with Silva. He was always jacked but the difference in frame size is super obvious.

Nate would beat guys who didn't belong but come up short against anyone elite (Anderson, Leites, Sonnen, Okami)

His big wins in that run were Kampmann and Maia, both would move down to welterweight. So would Marquardt.
Ironically Nate was considered a big MW back then

Ironically Nate was considered a big MW back then

Maybe by sherbros and their body dysmorphia but Marquardt is a guy who started his career at LW and that even jacked up he barely cut 10lbs to make MW.

I love a switch , and that one was so good , surprised the fuck outta Nate for sure

Marquardt was in top control and trying to land strikes so many times and couldn't do anything, Silva hit a switch, which is wrestling 101, and then taught him how to pick his shots with ground and pound and finished nate with only about 5 punches landing. Classic Anderson Silva making it look easy.

I liked seeing him experimenting with that arm triangle from bottom seeing if he could get the sweep from there. Also it looks like he was continuing experimenting with his style of up kicks and triangles that started with lutter and ended with sonnen. I always loved rewatching his fights and seeing the little things in them that make him different than anyone else. I still think he is not just the most creative striker of all time but the most creative fighter. The upkick of okami, the upward elbow on fryklund, ending irving with a strike off a caught kick, vitor's front kick, and all the other the little things you wouldn't notice in this fight and all the others.

Thanks for the memories, man, I really loved MMA back then.

Gawd, this fight had so much potential.

This is also where Silva's mystique really started to pick up.

Marquardt was one of the few big name "Non-UFC" guys that fought fucking everywhere but the UFC. So to see him come in and get absolutely fucking styled on was crazy. The Hendo fight for Silva had a similar vibe for me, where i was not expecting an absolute beat down.

BS standup by the referee.
But yeah, Silva was a truly unique talent
I didn't hate it. Marquardt wasn't attempting to pass and wasn't trying to land anything substantial. It seemed like he was just intimidated with Silva's standup and wanted to ride out the round.

I didn't hate it. Marquardt wasn't attempting to pass and wasn't trying to land anything substantial. It seemed like he was just intimidated with Silva's standup and wanted to ride out the round.
There was activity down there, even if thanks to Silva. I would understand it if there was stall for a prolongued time but it clearly looked like Big John was waiting for the minimum stop of activity to stand them up.
And its not fair. Its hard to get the fight there to take it away so easily and me as a fan I was also interested on what was going on in the grappling exchange.

Wasn't until last week when I saw a highlight video of Anderson on a thread here that I realized how brutal his gnp was. He didn't waste punches. Laser precision and a lots of power.

tumblr_lok7kc5HMp1qbhaplo1_r1_500.gif

Love the little uppercut Silva lands early on, as well as the straight punch that hurt Nate before the finish.

I always confuse Marquardt and Quarry.

Silva has talked about how much he owes his legacy to the Nogueira brothers. I wonder how many other Chute Boxe guys needed to find a better groundfighting coach to take them to the next level. Silva can't be the only one.

strange that big john stood them up so quickly.

marquardt had nothing on the ground for silva but he had to give up an advantage position. it seemed to me like a bad decision by the referee

Marquardt was in top control and trying to land strikes so many times and couldn't do anything, Silva hit a switch, which is wrestling 101, and then taught him how to pick his shots with ground and pound and finished nate with only about 5 punches landing. Classic Anderson Silva making it look easy.

I liked seeing him experimenting with that arm triangle from bottom seeing if he could get the sweep from there. Also it looks like he was continuing experimenting with his style of up kicks and triangles that started with lutter and ended with sonnen. I always loved rewatching his fights and seeing the little things in them that make him different than anyone else. I still think he is not just the most creative striker of all time but the most creative fighter. The upkick of okami, the upward elbow on fryklund, ending irving with a strike off a caught kick, vitor's front kick, and all the other the little things you wouldn't notice in this fight and all the others.

Thanks for sharing this...

Good trip down memory lane

Anderson ended up being such a divas, that we forget sometimes that Prime Anderson Silva really fucked people up

The bigger Rich could very well win, not an easy match up for Nate, but lol at the display of sherbroism around Marquardt.

The "mental midget" was a multiple times Pancrase and Strikeforce champion (often overcomming struggles in the process). He was in 4 UFC tittle eliminators and was highly competitive, win or lose, in every single one of them. He certainly didnt just stood getting punched like a statue, that's for sure.

Just one of those classic online forum myths, often instigated by Rogan/Dana, and parroted ad nauseum by sherbros, mods included

I’ve said it before, but if Anderson never came around I think Marquardt could have ruled the division for a while.

Back