Rewatch Throw back to Silva teaching Marquardt how to wrestle and ground n pound

Rich would have punked Nate. Marquardt was a mental midget. He couldn't put it together when it mattered. Dude would have watched Rich punch him in the face like a statue for 25 minutes.

The bigger Rich could very well win, not an easy match up for Nate, but lol at the display of sherbroism around Marquardt.

The "mental midget" was a multiple times Pancrase and Strikeforce champion (often overcomming struggles in the process). He was in 4 UFC tittle eliminators and was highly competitive, win or lose, in every single one of them. He certainly didnt just stood getting punched like a statue, that's for sure.

Just one of those classic online forum myths, often instigated by Rogan/Dana, and parroted ad nauseum by sherbros, mods included

The bigger Rich could very well win, not an easy match up for Nate, but lol at the display of sherbroism around Marquardt.

The "mental midget" was a multiple times Pancrase and Strikeforce champion (often overcomming struggles in the process). He was in 4 UFC tittle eliminators and was highly competitive, win or lose, in every single one of them. He certainly didnt just stood getting punched like a statue, that's for sure.

Just one of those classic online forum myths, often instigated by Rogan/Dana, and parroted ad nauseum by sherbros, mods included

Marquardt consistently couldn't pull the trigger as he got older. He would have some decent performances here or there, but the was a mental midget at times. Now hit us all with some stupid Okami frame talk and kick rocks, lol.

To be fair, Nate had some other good wins
  • Misaki X 2 (Misaki would go on to beat Hendo a couple of years after Nate beat him...well go 1-1 wih Hendo)
  • Palhares (granted it was an odd fight, but Palhares was a very scary knee-breaking beast at the time)
  • Woodley (Nate's best win considering Woodley would become the UFC champ and not get KO'd or even finished again until 8 years later)
If Anderson hadn't come to the UFC, I think Nate was on course to fight Rich Franklin for the MW title. That would've been a good fight.

No doubt. Palhares record speaks for itself, he was scary but also a nutbar.

Woodley was at welterweight, and my point was how strikingly small Nate looks compared to Silva here. It looks like someone wrestling with their little nephew, the difference in their frame is ridiculous.

Nate would go down to welterweight after a few more losses. His best wins at middleweight were also against future welterweights.

Marquardt consistently couldn't pull the trigger as he got older. He would have some decent performances here or there, but the was a mental midget at times.

He would not be that old by the time this hypothetical Marquardt vs Franklin tittle fight would've taken place, so it's a pretty void point you make.

He would fall short vs some elite fighters who were just better than him, it happens. Marquardt definitley didnt give Sonnen, Okami or Leites easy fights.

Now hit us all with some stupid Okami frame talk and kick rocks, lol.

If you parrot yet another one of the classic sherbro myths (Marquardt "mental midget", Okami "huge MW"), maybe I hit you with the talk yeah. I know it's tempting. Sherbros love clichés. Dont retort to ad hominem though.

silva was so much better than izzy, man.. i was thinkin about making a thread here on that

not only was he a much more creative, powerful and accurate striker, he was a much better grappler
in general a considerably superior fighter
he also did that in a wrestle-heavy division, for the clowns who like to talk about "level of competition"

He would not be that old by the time this hypothetical Marquardt vs Franklin tittle fight would've taken place, so it's a pretty void point from you.

He would fell short vs some elite fighters who were just better than him, it happens. Marquardt definitley didnt give Sonnen, Okami or Leites easy fights.

If you parrot yet another one of the textbook shebro myths (Marquardt "mental midget", Okami "huge MW"), maybe I hit you with the talk yeah. Dont retort to ad hominem though. I know it's tempting. Sherbros love clichés

You'll be defending Okami and the perception of his size until we all get nuked. One of the most hilarious things on Suredawg. Marquardt had solid perforances against guys who were on his level. In big fights? Low activity performances for the most part with few exceptions later in his career. Nate's performance against Okami is an all time stinker. Easy fight? Not for anyone who watched it to digest.

Marquardt was in top control and trying to land strikes so many times and couldn't do anything, Silva hit a switch, which is wrestling 101, and then taught him how to pick his shots with ground and pound and finished nate with only about 5 punches landing. Classic Anderson Silva making it look easy.

I liked seeing him experimenting with that arm triangle from bottom seeing if he could get the sweep from there. Also it looks like he was continuing experimenting with his style of up kicks and triangles that started with lutter and ended with sonnen. I always loved rewatching his fights and seeing the little things in them that make him different than anyone else. I still think he is not just the most creative striker of all time but the most creative fighter. The upkick of okami, the upward elbow on fryklund, ending irving with a strike off a caught kick, vitor's front kick, and all the other the little things you wouldn't notice in this fight and all the others.

Classic Anderson Silva!

I must say, the video also reminds me that refs used to stand fighters up more often back then.

Classic Anderson Silva!

I must say, the video also reminds me that refs used to stand fighters up more often back then.

Ask Nelson about his standup against Arlovski, lol.

You'll be defending Okami and the perception of his size until we all get nuked. One of the most hilarious things on Suredawg. Nate's performance against Okami is an all time stinker. Easy fight? Not for anyone who watched it to digest.

Im glad you enjoy it.

Marquard vs Okami was an extremely contested fight. A highly technical and tactical match up.

Franklin barely pulled the trigger vs Okami neither. Is he a mental midget too? Or is a bit more complex than that?

If a fight excites you or it doesnt I dont care, mate. That's subjective.

It's not subjective that Marquard was a multiple time champion who overcame lot of adversity and was always competive in high profile fights up until the tail end of his career.

And that Okami was never a big MW, let alone huge.

Doesnt matter how many shebros and mods parrot the easy cliché.

Im glad you enjoy it.

Marquard vs Okami was an extremely contested fight. A highly technical and tactical match up.

Franklin barely pulled the trigger vs Okami neither. Is he a mental midget too? Or is a bit more complex than that?

If a fight excites you or it doesnt I dont care, mate. That's subjective.

It's not subjective that Marquard was a multiple time champion who overcame lot of adversity and was always competive in high profile fights up until the tail end of his career.

And that Okami was never a big MW, let alone huge.

Doesnt matter how many shebros and mods parrot the easy cliché.

Lol. You can't even admit that Okami/Marquardt fight was terrible. Hilarious. Moving on from the Okami soapbox.

Lol. You can't even admit that Okami/Marquardt fight was terrible. Hilarious. Moving on from the Okami soapbox.

I was not in that discussion.

I sticked to counter a couple of sherbro clichés you seemingly love to parrot. And we both know whats what.

No doubt. Palhares record speaks for itself, he was scary but also a nutbar.

Woodley was at welterweight, and my point was how strikingly small Nate looks compared to Silva here. It looks like someone wrestling with their little nephew, the difference in their frame is ridiculous.

Nate would go down to welterweight after a few more losses. His best wins at middleweight were also against future welterweights.
Yeah, it's surprising how many MWs from his era moved down to WW and found more success:
  • Lawler
  • Maia
  • Palhares
  • Shields
  • Hector Lombard (only briefly, but beat Nate and Shields, ironically, and looked much better when he could handle the weight cut IMO)
  • Larkin
I think they realized MWs like Anderson, Chael, Bisping and newcomers (at the time) like Rockhold and Weidman were just too big.

I was not in that discussion.

I sticked to counter a couple of sherbro clichés you seemingly love to parrot. And we both know whats what.

You successfully derailed the thread with your Okami hardon. We've got back Nate to preserve Okami. I'll refrain from continuing to derail the thread so I don't have to clean up your common messes. And yeah, that fight was shit. I couldn't care less what you think as your delusion is noted.

You successfully derailed the thread with your Okami hardon. We've got back Nate to preserve Okami. I'll refrain from continuing to derail the thread so I don't have to clean up your common messes.

You are the one who brought Okami into this discussion so dont be so dishonest.
I sticked to counter your "Marquardt mental midget" cliché and that's it.

And yeah, that fight was shit. I couldn't care less what you think as your delusion is noted.

If it was, so was Franklin vs Okami
And since my point here was not discussing about excitement, but to counter the "Marquardt mental midget" cliché, you actually further support my stance

Last edited:
Andersons grapping is super underrated. Poeple think that if he fought GSP he would have got outwrestled are hilarious. Anderson would have have shrugged GSP's takedowns. Marquart is a giant MW and GSP is a WW who could fight at bantamweight.

marquardt was a badass, he had the whole package. i thought both him and hendo had a real chance of dethroning silva.

Yeah, it's surprising how many MWs from his era moved down to WW and found more success:
  • Lawler
  • Maia
  • Palhares
  • Shields
  • Hector Lombard (only briefly, but beat Nate and Shields, ironically, and looked much better when he could handle the weight cut IMO)
  • Larkin

Swick and Kampmann both made it to a UFC WW tittle eliminator after dropping down from MW.

Which btw counters yet another one of the classic sherbro myths: that the WW division was so much superior to MW.
I think they realized MWs like Anderson, Chael, Bisping and newcomers (at the time) like Rockhold and Weidman were just too big.

I would not use Anderson (who weighted 197lbs for a short notice LHW bout vs Cormier) to illustrate it but the increase in average size/weight was a clear pattern. Many LHWs started to move down to MW which provoked the same happening in the division below.

Back