Crime Thousand Oaks: At least 12 dead in mass shooting at California bar. Attacker also dead

One armed person in that bar would have saved lives. RIP

Not necessarily, but it would have been nice to have the option. To me the gun control people don't get that someone who wants to do something like this is going to get a firearm, one way or the other. Ban them all and there is a massive underground market of millions.

That’s not what I’m suggesting

You said:

I really think it's time the media, instead of turning shooters into celebrities, focuses more on shaming the shooters' families.

Please elaborate. How is that really going to help and why the possible chain of events I mentioned couldn't possibly happen?

Geez. CNN talking to a father who knows his son was there and cannot contact his son now. His phone just rings. He is in the dark right now. I feel for this guy right now. I couldn’t imagine.

Only because there are people standing in their way. You must be living under a rock if you've managed to have missed the whole "ban assault rifle" nonsense.

Perhaps many will, and they'd be equally as unhelpful with regards to targeting the root problems in favor of what would be, at best, a band aid fix (at worst, in the case of the left's ideas, a violation and stripping of our right to defend ourselves). Oh, and I assume since you haven't specifically disagreed, and instead opted for a round about "whataboutism" response, that you recognize the unfortunate truth in what I posted.

I see very little discussion from the left about physically taking guns from people. It's more about common sense laws like licensing, mental health evaluation, etc. I think it's more many gun owners on the far right would fail a mental health evaluation and thus have their guns revoked

You said:

Please elaborate. How is that really going to help and why the possible chain of events I mentioned couldn't possibly happen?
Just re-read my posts beyond the first sentence. It would need to be a case by case basis where appropriate, and the idea is that it could potentially compel families to take their blinders off and do whatever they can to address issues with disturbed family members before it spirals completely out of control rather than to just ignore reality and expect society to deal with these lunatics

When it comes to ghetto kids falling in with gangs and violence many of us have no problem blaming the family for neglect (often appropriately imo), I believe the same could apply to some if these mass shooters

And the right will send lots of thoughts and prayers and if only there were a concealed carrier on site who had navy seal training to respond to the smokes and flash bangs that were probably legally purchased through some alt right prepper website, this would have been averted. Then they will vote down background checks and mental health evaluation before purchasing a gun but vote for a ten commandments statue on government property

<JagsKiddingMe>

Not necessarily, but it would have been nice to have the option. To me the gun control people don't get that someone who wants to do something like this is going to get a firearm, one way or the other. Ban them all and there is a massive underground market of millions.

A couple of armed folks stopped a shooting in OKC from getting worse earlier this year and killed the shooter. It happens more than folks hear about.

social-issues-thoughts_and_prayers-prayers-pray-doing_something-religions-pknn1550_low.jpg

I see very little discussion from the left about physically taking guns from people. It's more about common sense laws like licensing, mental health evaluation, etc. I think it's more many gun owners on the far right would fail a mental health evaluation and thus have their guns revoked

I think the closest you'll see to actual "gun grabbing" are advocates for national buy back programs.

The "gun grabbing" hysteria is right wing fan fiction.

I think most people agree that you should be able to own whatever gun you want so long as you're willing to demonstrate you're a responsible owner.

As soon as you can figure out what causes a man to become evil let me know . . . whenever you figure out why a man decides he can no longer handle life and rather than just going some place quiet to end his own "suffering" he goes to a crowded bar and shoots up the place let me know.

Until then . . . shut up about blaming guns and other gun owners.

I think the closest you'll see to actual "gun grabbing" are advocates for national buy back programs.

The "gun grabbing" hysteria is right wing fan fiction.
The right doesn't even discuss the issue after every shooting the response (if it's not a muslim or immigrant) is watch out they are coming for your guns and does anybody else remember the baseball practice shooter?

I think most people agree that you should be able to own whatever gun you want so long as you're willing to demonstrate you're a responsible owner.

That's the issue though . . . some folks already demonstrate this and it's not good enough for many folks who know next to nothing about firearms.

As soon as you can figure out what causes a man to become evil let me know . . . whenever you figure out why a man decides he can no longer handle life and rather than just going some place quiet to end his own "suffering" he goes to a crowded bar and shoots up the place let me know.

Until then . . . shut up about blaming guns and other gun owners.
Who is blaming? I own a sig p239 with hogue grips and a muzzle loader. There are lots of instances where a mental health evaluation would have prevented someone from buying a gun. Do you think someone with known suicidal tendencies should be allowed to own a gun? And what is currently done today to prevent such a person from buying a gun?

Only because there are people standing in their way. You must be living under a rock if you've managed to have missed the whole "ban assault rifle" nonsense.

Yes some people out there want to outlaw guns. It hasn't happened, or come remotely close to happening. It's just sad and ironic that you talk about the "left" having a misguided response to this tragedy when your first thought before the victims, before why it happened, before any thought on how to reduce these attacks is FROM MY COLD DEAD HANDS LIBERALS!

That's the issue though . . . some folks already demonstrate this and it's not good enough for many folks who know next to nothing about firearms.
What test did they take to demonstrate this? How was their mental health evaluated ?

And the right will send lots of thoughts and prayers and if only there were a concealed carrier on site who had navy seal training to respond to the smokes and flash bangs that were probably legally purchased through some alt right prepper website, this would have been averted. Then they will vote down background checks and mental health evaluation before purchasing a gun but vote for a ten commandments statue on government property
I’m not on the right or the left, but my entire family is right wing and a lot of people where I live.

I have yet to meet a single person anti background checks for guns. Have you? You realize background checks already exist on a federal and state level? So what is there to vote down? There is no harder place to legally get a gun than California.

Back