"They want to retire me." - Lyoto Machida

He would have crushed Machida of five years ago
Nah i dont think so,sorry. He would have seen three machidas,hit the one in the middle and 6 more manifest behind him.

He just beat a guy that was 10-0 and 2-0 in the UFC.

That alone means Lyoto belongs in the UFC.

He probably won't get that belt but if wants to, fight on.
He certainly belongs. I think people argue he could go out in a good note,and giving him winnable fights dont really translate to exciting fights at this stage. Regardless,ill root for him.

Nah i dont think so,sorry. He would have seen three machidas,hit the one in the middle and 6 more manifest behind him.
Yeah because Machida is so tough to beat. Machida got exposed years ago and Yoel is on a far different level than Machida ever was. Machida is a slow unathletic and weak. He made Weismann look fast.

His 15-8 ufc record with multiple gift decisions states otherwise.
No,it doesnt. His losses were not easy for his opponents to achieve,mr wikibaby

“They want to retire me, but I don’t want to be retired,” Machida said during the UFC 224 pre-fight presser in Rio de Janeiro (transcript via MMAjunkie). “I have more fights. I have more years. I believe that. Because the verb that I like to say here, it’s not about ‘can,’ but about ‘want.’ If you want something, you can get it. That’s what I put in my mind.”

At 39 years of age, Machida is still looking to face elite competition, as he looks to use his losing streak as motivation to get back on track.

“It’s different because I feel more confident now. I feel like I can give my best,” Machida said. “Because, when you have no options – only victory – you feel a lot of pressure over your shoulders. But once you release everything, it’s showtime. It’s time to show everything I have.”

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2018/3/...machida-retire-dont-wan-middleweight-mma-news

I think if Lyoto won the belt, he would argue MW GOAT given his age and what he's accomplished. I don't see it happening, though. Father time does its thing.

If UFC cuts him after this loss (which is reasonable), I'd still watch him fight in other orgs. I love Lyoto.

If he retires, he might be the last traditional martial artist in the UFC.

Lot of you are letting age skew your opinion.

If Machida were in his late 20s with the same record + recent losses, no one would be calling for him to hang them up.

That and how many other fighters do you recommend retire if your logic is simply "will probably never win the title, so retire" ? Everyone outside of the top 3 in each division? We'd go back to having 1 card every blue moon and get really sick of the matchups really quickly.

The important thing is he is still capable of beating people and, probably even more importantly, he WANTS to fight. It's not like he's going in there out of shape and displaying no heart. So let him do what he loves then; fighting isn't simply employment for some of these guys, it's obviously their lives. And even if it was solely for employment, as spectators we should focus more on entertainment value instead of simply nuthugging the contender that has the best chance at a title. Don't be the MMA fan-equivalent of a football "fan" who only watches the Superbowl. Or if you wanna be that "fan", then at least kill the double standard and begin calling for the retirement of the majority of fighters on the roster that will likely never become a champion either.

Caveat to all this being if he or any other fighter is clearly taking massive amounts of punishment in each fight, sure. But I think he's still a threat, even if it's gatekeeper'ish at this point.

Lyoto clearly landed the better strikes in their first fight.
Rua has done horrible in the UFC. No more PRIDE juice.
Yeah becoming a world champion is doing horribly. Go away troll.

I want Machida to retire, and I'm a big fan. Or just go to Japan and fight at 195 or above while roiding so we can see super reflexes again.

I hope Machida just goes out and gets some fun fights with guys in his own generation. Let the young guns come up by fighting each other, don't just be feeding them all the old guard.

His best win is BJ Penn.

Please, KO'ing Rashad taking his belt and posterizing Rashad for life with this ↓↓↓ is his best win

CkjcPc9UoAEWTsN.jpg

Last edited:
Machida is a great fighter but he was figured out by Shogun and he pissed hot in the UFC. He isn’t a GOAT LHW or MW.

(Ps Shogun probably roided in Pride but that was legal under Pride contracts)

He didn't psised hot, get your facts straight....

I would hate to see the Dragon - or anyone who feels they have more fight in them - forced to retire. We do need some new talent though. Can't we have both?

Do steroids do that to people? Make them retard

brain damage will retire Machida

Back