the weird thing about these machida/karate debates

devante

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
the odd thing about these thread and others, is you have people w/limited exposure to karate of any kind; arguing w/people w/legitimate and extensive exp in karate adn the people w/a very base knowledge are trying to educate the people w/the extensive knowledge.

i don't comment on muay thai extensively, cus i have a very base knowledge of it; i don't comment on bjj extensively once again i have a base knowledge of it.

i do comment on boxing and karate/tma, cus my dad was a tkd blkblt( old fc style continuous fighting/judo blkblkt) and alot of people i trained w/or sparred were legit blkblts in kyokushin-shotokan-issihin ryu-tkd-wado ryu and kenpo, to name a few. So my karate knowledge is still base; but alot better than most people commenting on it, more importantly i get updates by having legit karate guys watch the fights and explain where and how the tech is found in their art. An the same w/the boxing, i been around alot of boxers, trained boxing (no im not good at it) and had alot of shop talk w/high level amateurs and pro coaches/fighters; so i know what im talking about unlike alot of mma guys w/a passing interest in boxing.

Others here have belts and extensive b/g in tma/karate, yet people who don't are arguing the point w/them based on little to no exp; esp when you consider the people who trained karate are alot better and knowledgeable of it, than the people who are arguing against it are in their chosen arts.

just something odd i noticed

an you can tell people w/legit karate/tma exp; they are the one's not bashing machida or his claim that karate is what makes him eff. Its the same people who don't recognize the frequent karate usage in gsp's game. Just like you can tell the guys who know boxing are the one's not bashing it and saying how you can't use it in the mma game.

im not bashing anyone, but if mt and boxing is why machida is so eff; then why the hell can't anyone figure him out, its not cus he is soo good at either. From what i see he is terrible at both; its his karate, it's what seperates him. The tech the entries setups exits angle counters def off is eff cus its unfamiliar; if he really leaned on the other arts he would be fig out by now, he uses them to a degree. But its all from a karate stance, based on karate timing and karate dist. Im not saying its the end all be all; but give karate it's due, cus its karate which is killing these guys; an if machida loss, it would have been karate that caught hell.

dont misappropriate the credit, like when vitor belfor gave gjj credit; when it was clearly his boxing which won him the fight, he is chanting jiu jitsu, when all he is doing is koing people not using the guard or armbars or chokes.

just like kenpo/koei kohan (i think it is) was a large reason for chuck's success; yeah he trained kickboxing/boxing, but he was pretty avg (at best) for both and what he did no other kb/boxer worth a damn did anything similar. But who recognized what he was doing, kenpo/kempo/kajukenbo guys; who is his trainer who tailors his style, footwork, angles, setups, counters, off..HE IS A BLKBLT IN KEMPO/kajukenbo (HAWAIIAN i think). So the influence is there you have to know enough outside of the holy trinity of mma bjj muay thai wrestling or in regards to standup bjj mt boxing; if chuck did only those art w/no influence, then why the hell does he look and fight soo diff than everyone else who does the same arts.

im just saying

Damn, Devante - drinking heavily on memorial day weekend? ;)

Clearly, Machida's ability to use karate is a big reason for his sucess. But chuck? come on? The reason he wins is that he has amazing takedown defence (due to his Div 1 wrestlin background) and was born with naturally heavy hands. Technically, one would not want chuck to represent them in any style. really chuck?

The weird thing is that you start half of them. :icon_lol:

Yeah, I'm excited too that a traditional martial artist is successful in MMA, but you need to lay off the spirits.

I have 2 friends that I train with that have studied the same TMA, one of them is like a
3d dan BB the other is only like a brown belt, the BB is his instructor. while both of them use their TMA style in the cage the brown belt while being a little inferior in his base style is a noticably better MMA fighter (a damn good one). The diffrence: while the BB thinks he has a awsome standup base the brown belt has worked in more than a few diffrent styles, He has went to my thai gym and worked with boxers as well as made him self into a diecent grapiler. He still fights out of his traditional style but he impaments what he likes and feels is effective from the other styles, and also has a hands on view of how fighters from that style are going to come at him and how he can counter with his style that they wouldn't be use to seeing. Its Mixed Martial arts guys the more you can understand the better you will be, study the art, pick it appart, implament what is effective into your game and learn to destroy the weeknesses in it. Thats what MMA is all about IMHO.

Machida Karate is actually JKA Shotokan Karate adapted to MMA rules. ( + wrestling and submission skills)

First of all I am happy that Machida won. Not because of his style but because I wanted to see Rashad get his ass kicked. With that said the one thing I could not stand about the fight was Joe Rogans bullshit comments about Machida. Joe kept saying that no one couild train for a person like Machida. Yes they can, just go train with some TMA guys who have a some wrestling/boxing background. They are all over the place. Rogan acted as if he has never seen a TMA guy before. HE made it seem like a new style that no has seen before. I almost muted my TV while Stoned Joe was talking......thats all.

Machida Karate is actually JKA Shotokan Karate adapted to MMA rules. ( + wrestling and submission skills)

Thanks for the video. I guess it proves that if you fight with your hands down you will get punched/kicked in the face. :D

MT guys are just arrogant. The only way to shut them up is to have 20 guys in karate dominate in mma.

Since the new light heavyweight king is so adroit at recognizing and exploiting the specific technical snafus of his opponents, he wields an enormous amount of strategic power over his adversaries, who still talk about him in terms of his

This is what I have said previously and it is the truth:
Yes, Machida is a great fighter. Yes, Machida trains in Shotokan Karate. However, he is NOT a great fighter just because of Shotokan Karate. Machida cross trains. He also trains in Boxing/Muay Thai aswell as having experiance in BJJ and Wrestling. He cross trains like everyone else in MMA these days. It's his complete training package which makes him the fighter that he is. To tell you the truth, his stand up looks like kickboxing. Like all striking arts be it Karate, Muay Thai whatever, a turning kick looks like a turning kick and straight left, right looks like a straight left, right and knee thrust to the body looks like a knee thrust to the body. All stand up striking looks the same. Nobody would ever be able to pick Machida trained in Shotokan just by watching him fight. He could tell people his stand up is Kickboxing and nobody would know the difference.

Nobody would ever be able to pick Machida trained in Shotokan just by watching him fight. He could tell people his stand up is Kickboxing and nobody would know the difference.

Are you kidding me? My girlfriend who knows nothing about MMA said, "Is that karate guy any good?"

The way he holds his hands and throws his kicks are pretty obvious signs of karate.

MMA is not all about BJJ, MT, Wrestling, Boxing. MMA is only about Sport.. You can even use JKD, TKD anything you want as long as you utilize them in the cage and you win. You just always give credit to wrestling, BJJ, MT. Muay thai is not the only art that teaches padwork and bag work. Even other style teaches that too.

MT guys are just arrogant. The only way to shut them up is to have 20 guys in karate dominate in mma.

20 guys in Karate dominate in MMA???

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Back