The UFC is not getting behind any of their champions, instead promoting contenders

West Linn

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
We saw this in the Ngannou vs Stipe fight. The promos were 80% Ngannou and how he's a wrecking force and hits as hard as a Ford truck or something. Stipe was neglected and he said he wasn't bothered by this, but he clearly was.

In the lead up to Ronda vs Nunes, 100% of the promos were about Ronda, which is understandable because of her history. But I don't know if they even showed Amanda's face in any of the promos. Amanda said she wasn't bothered by this, but she clearly was when after the fight she said "Who gives a shit about Ronda Rousey."

UFC were hyping the heck out of Till. So much to the point where I forgot that Woodley was an established champ. I wasn't fooled by the Ngannou hype, but I was by Till. I thought Till would beat him handily and that him becoming champ was a forgone conclusion. Woodley gets hate for seeming to complain a lot, but he's right, UFC has done absolutely nothing to promote him.

TJ vs Cody. TJ is perhaps the most complete MMA fighter of his generation who's looked nearly flawless in all his fights except for the Cruz fight. Cody was promoted as a fresh young face with a magnetic personality who would represent the UFC well as a champ. TJ destroyed him worse than the first fight.

Cyborg is perhaps the greatest female fighter of all time who brings it every fight. Her fights are a spectacle. Sometimes I forget that she's still fighting. Give her some worthy opponents and promote her properly.

What the fuck is WME doing?

UFC is dying brah

Ngannou was destroying people and Till had just stopped Cowboy as well as decisioning Wonderboy. The hype was deserved, they just got beat

Caring about money?

It makes no sense though. They're only hurting their brand by not promoting their champions. Basically they're saying the best fighters of each weight class aren't shit and that they can get beat by any contender.

I think your priorities are in the wrong place.

We can agree Woodley and Stipe are not a great selling champions, right?

How much are all three parties going to gain by polishing that turd over and over?

Like you said, you bit into the Till job. It was the real selling point of this fight. The selling point wasn't another Woodley/Stipe fight. It was the possibility of something new that was attractive.

It’s weird because it seems to me that the champs in every weight class are all clearly the best the UFC has to offer. There are no fluke champs, other than possibly Cejudo (but that win wasn’t a fluke IMO) and 155 is the only weight class you could debate that the best fighter isn’t champ.
You’d think they could get behind their champs since most of them are likely to hold the belt for a while.

It’s weird because it seems to me that the champs in every weight class are all clearly the best the UFC has to offer. There are no fluke champs, other than possibly Cejudo (but that win wasn’t a fluke IMO) and 155 is the only weight class you could debate that the best fighter isn’t champ.
You’d think they could get behind their champs since most of them are likely to hold the belt for a while.

Champions are champions for a reason, because they're better than everybody else. This seems lost to WME who keep promoting one and done contenders.

You watched all of those fights in your OP, TS

We saw this in the Ngannou vs Stipe fight. The promos were 80% Ngannou and how he's a wrecking force and hits as hard as a Ford truck or something. Stipe was neglected and he said he wasn't bothered by this, but he clearly was.

In the lead up to Ronda vs Nunes, 100% of the promos were about Ronda, which is understandable because of her history. But I don't know if they even showed Amanda's face in any of the promos. Amanda said she wasn't bothered by this, but she clearly was when after the fight she said "Who gives a shit about Ronda Rousey."

UFC were hyping the heck out of Till. So much to the point where I forgot that Woodley was an established champ. I wasn't fooled by the Ngannou hype, but I was by Till. I thought Till would beat him handily and that him becoming champ was a forgone conclusion. Woodley gets hate for seeming to complain a lot, but he's right, UFC has done absolutely nothing to promote him.

TJ vs Cody. TJ is perhaps the most complete MMA fighter of his generation who's looked nearly flawless in all his fights except for the Cruz fight. Cody was promoted as a fresh young face with a magnetic personality who would represent the UFC well as a champ. TJ destroyed him worse than the first fight.

Cyborg is perhaps the greatest female fighter of all time who brings it every fight. Her fights are a spectacle. Sometimes I forget that she's still fighting. Give her some worthy opponents and promote her properly.

What the fuck is WME doing?

Why in the fuck would wme waste money promoting boring ass Stipe? No casual fans are ever going to tune in to watch guy.

Was pretty obvious he was on borrowed time because considering how much trouble he was usually in during his fights. Oh, and because HW's knock each other out like crazy.

It makes no sense though. They're only hurting their brand by not promoting their champions. Basically they're saying the best fighters of each weight class aren't shit and that they can get beat by any contender.

Their brand is not really built around best fighters.
No one buy tickets to see champions. They either see UFC for the fights overall or to watch superstars

Why in the fuck would wme waste money promoting boring ass Stipe? No casual fans are ever going to tune in to watch guy.

Was pretty obvious he was on borrowed time because considering how much trouble he was usually in during his fights. Oh, and because HW's knock each other out like crazy.

Stipe hate coming from someone with a Fedor avatar. How unexpected.

This isn’t necessarily a secret. Dana has said before that their job isn’t finding champions, it’s finding good contenders. Meaning that once they have a solidified champion of a division, the tough part is continuously finding contenders that can provide a compelling matchup. Unless a champ is a mega mega star, his/her ppv buys heavily depend on having a good opponent. That’s why they pump up the opponents. It sells fights better.

Why, exactly are you so concerned with how they promote their product?

Because I give a shit about the sport I watch religiously? Why do you come into every thread with stupid ass shit posts?

Not wrong TS, the UFC is selective in who they promote. I think it's evident in the hype trains they tried to build and failed miserably.

They have had (and had) opportunities to build their current Champions but clearly choose not to which is a fucking travesty.

Their current Champions are very marketable. Cormier, Woodley, Holloway and Nunes and Namajunas are all great ambassadors of the sport.

But ... they aren't that "IT factor".

If you can look past the TMZ bullshit and just watch MMA for good fights, then it's still a good time in MMA. If you can't, and you need the TMZ shit to get you excited then you're fucked

Because I give a shit about the sport I watch religiously?

I'm just trying to understand what you think would be different if they promoted the champions instead of the challengers.

Stipe hate coming from someone with a Fedor avatar. How unexpected.

I don't even hate Stipe. He's just not marketable. Fedor was never marketable here either, so what's your point?

Imagine being WME and dumping loads of cash into promoting Stipe. A guy who said he didn't want to be promoted. Then that guy gets knocked out by your LHW champ.

Right....good call TS

Back