The UFC is not getting behind any of their champions, instead promoting contenders

Stipe was pretty clear he didn't want to do much promoting. He just wanted to fight. Nganou was someone new people were hyped about.

Woodley has had a platform for a while. He's an analyst on Fox, he has Champ Camp, works in film. People just weren't interested in him because he went from sitting out for over a year, knocking out Lawler, then the draw, then two boring fights. Till on the other hand was someone new. He was young, has a fanbase, showed some promise. I think Woodley's recent win is going to reinvigorate the way the UFC push him now.

For some reason people liked Cody, that I'll never understand.

On Cyborg. There are no worthy opponents at 145, that's the problem. It's a dead division made of blown up 135ers or people with 5 pro fights to their name. It's why they need Nunes to move up.

Honestly I'm more annoyed about how generic UFC promotion is. It's the same thing everytime; show highlight reel, show Rogan in a dark room squinting at the camera saying "technical" and "real knockout power", Rogan screams, Anik says "the wait is over!", boring poster.

Last edited:
Champions are champions for a reason, because they're better than everybody else. This seems lost to WME who keep promoting one and done contenders.
It’s a shame they prefer loud mouths to respectul martial artists. Anyone who has even taken basic disciplines of martial arts knows that respect is one of the basic principles. I don’t mind talking to hype up a fight, but I don’t think it’s coincidence that so many champs right now are relatively mild mannered compared to the people getting the push from WME

We saw this in the Ngannou vs Stipe fight. The promos were 80% Ngannou and how he's a wrecking force and hits as hard as a Ford truck or something. Stipe was neglected and he said he wasn't bothered by this, but he clearly was.

In the lead up to Ronda vs Nunes, 100% of the promos were about Ronda, which is understandable because of her history. But I don't know if they even showed Amanda's face in any of the promos. Amanda said she wasn't bothered by this, but she clearly was when after the fight she said "Who gives a shit about Ronda Rousey."

UFC were hyping the heck out of Till. So much to the point where I forgot that Woodley was an established champ. I wasn't fooled by the Ngannou hype, but I was by Till. I thought Till would beat him handily and that him becoming champ was a forgone conclusion. Woodley gets hate for seeming to complain a lot, but he's right, UFC has done absolutely nothing to promote him.

TJ vs Cody. TJ is perhaps the most complete MMA fighter of his generation who's looked nearly flawless in all his fights except for the Cruz fight. Cody was promoted as a fresh young face with a magnetic personality who would represent the UFC well as a champ. TJ destroyed him worse than the first fight.

Cyborg is perhaps the greatest female fighter of all time who brings it every fight. Her fights are a spectacle. Sometimes I forget that she's still fighting. Give her some worthy opponents and promote her properly.

What the fuck is WME doing?

I noticed this to. I think it because the UFC doesnt like most of todays champs.

Obvious they want someone to dethrone woodley and Till had the style and excitement to do it and hype.

Stipe was the most boring HW champ of recent time since tim sylvia. And stipe just sucked nobody loved him and he didnt dominate fights and barely won at times.

MW is well a joke. And Bisping was champ for like 1 year.

I mean all the challengers or top 1 to 3 guys in esch division are all better more exciting than the champs mostly. I do think though if Conor was champ again they would promote him obviously. Along with any new comer who has exciting style and people like.

It’s a shame they prefer loud mouths to respectul martial artists. Anyone who has even taken basic disciplines of martial arts knows that respect is one of the basic principles. I don’t mind talking to hype up a fight, but I don’t think it’s coincidence that so many champs right now are relatively mild mannered compared to the people getting the push from WME

I'm with you there. I prefer my fighters to do their talking in the ring... with their fists

We saw this in the Ngannou vs Stipe fight. The promos were 80% Ngannou and how he's a wrecking force and hits as hard as a Ford truck or something. Stipe was neglected and he said he wasn't bothered by this, but he clearly was.

In the lead up to Ronda vs Nunes, 100% of the promos were about Ronda, which is understandable because of her history. But I don't know if they even showed Amanda's face in any of the promos. Amanda said she wasn't bothered by this, but she clearly was when after the fight she said "Who gives a shit about Ronda Rousey."

UFC were hyping the heck out of Till. So much to the point where I forgot that Woodley was an established champ. I wasn't fooled by the Ngannou hype, but I was by Till. I thought Till would beat him handily and that him becoming champ was a forgone conclusion. Woodley gets hate for seeming to complain a lot, but he's right, UFC has done absolutely nothing to promote him.

TJ vs Cody. TJ is perhaps the most complete MMA fighter of his generation who's looked nearly flawless in all his fights except for the Cruz fight. Cody was promoted as a fresh young face with a magnetic personality who would represent the UFC well as a champ. TJ destroyed him worse than the first fight.

Cyborg is perhaps the greatest female fighter of all time who brings it every fight. Her fights are a spectacle. Sometimes I forget that she's still fighting. Give her some worthy opponents and promote her properly.

What the fuck is WME doing?

they care about who makes them money.

cris crying about being the victim on ufc call ing the ufc fucking her over kinda makes it hard to promte her.

Stipe was the most boring HW champ of recent time since tim sylvia. And stipe just sucked nobody loved him and he didnt dominate fights and barely won at times.

A six-win streak composed of 4 first round (T)KOs and two hellacious prolonged ass-whippings = didn't dominate fights. Right.

I can understand why he's boring and unloveable to you though. I've noticed that the types that attract double-yellows have a higher likelihood of being Stipe haters.

A six-win streak composed of 4 first round (T)KOs and two hellacious prolonged ass-whippings = didn't dominate fights. Right.

I can understand why he's boring and unloveable to you though. I've noticed that the types that attract double-yellows have a higher likelihood of being Stipe haters.

It's not about who's double yellow on sherdog...it's about who pays to watch him. Which are not many.

Conor's followers are pretty much all double yellow IRL if you know what I mean LOL.
Still they take money out of their pockets to watch him fight....

Promotion cannot be a one way street. UFC is usually getting behind exciting fighters who care to market themselves.

Basically the UFC will rarely get behind someone due to their being a success in the cage even if the fights are entertaining, they always try and go for personality instead.

They see the money from a Rousey or a McGregor and try and push the sport as a whole that way which is probably a mistake.

It's not about who's double yellow on sherdog...it's about who pays to watch him. Which are not many.

Conor's followers are pretty much all double yellow IRL if you know what I mean LOL.
Still they take money out of their pockets to watch him fight....

Me, I only pay for PPVs when he's on the card. But then I've always tended to be one of the few than the many. The Few. The Proud (but not arrogant). The Miocic-fans.

To validate why the challenger is getting the TS. Champs have done the work and know the routine. The up and comer is motivated to explain why they are the new dog in the yard hence they yapping

Basically the UFC will rarely get behind someone due to their being a success in the cage even if the fights are entertaining, they always try and go for personality instead.

They get most profit from TV anyway, and profits are good.
PPV buys from superstars is just icing on a cake...

Me, I only pay for PPVs when he's on the card. But then I've always tended to be one of the few than the many. The Few. The Proud (but not arrogant). The Miocic-fans.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a Miocic fan myself...

In theory, if you have a strong champion, you need to invest most of your promotion into making the contender seem like a legit threat. If you don't, know one buys the fight. Think back to Anderson Silva vs. Thales Letes. The UFC promoted Letes as the perfect stylistic matchup to beat Anderson. "The last time Anderson lost a fight, it was to a submission. A guy with good enough stand up to not get KO'd and a strong enough ground game to submit Anderson is a nightmare for Silva." Of course, most of us knew that it was a recipe for a boring fight (same thing happened years later with Maia vs Silva). However, why would they put resources into promoting their already strong champion? They need to make the challenger seem like a legit threat.

Why in the fuck would wme waste money promoting boring ass Stipe? No casual fans are ever going to tune in to watch guy.

Was pretty obvious he was on borrowed time because considering how much trouble he was usually in during his fights. Oh, and because HW's knock each other out like crazy.

I noticed this to. I think it because the UFC doesnt like most of todays champs.

Obvious they want someone to dethrone woodley and Till had the style and excitement to do it and hype.

how was Stipe the most boring HW champ since Tim Sylvia?

6 of his last 7 fights have ended in KO's, 5 of which were in the 1st rd, including his loss to DC.

it amazes me how fans are biased towards fighters even when EVERYTHING points to the opposite.

The UFC promotes the fighters they think will make them the most money . It just happens not to be the champions a lot of times

They had to promote Cody heavily anyway, to make him look a worthy challenger for TJ.
TJ destroyed Cody practically everywhere - gym, TUF, tetherball, MMA...

Wme? Zuffa did it as well. Other than Ronda they usually spent more time trying to convince people that the contender was the one to detrone the champ. Builds the fight up more instead of saying that gsp will dominate Hardy.

Ngannou was destroying people and Till had just stopped Cowboy as well as decisioning Wonderboy. The hype was deserved, they just got beat
A tiny old LW with CTE isn't an impressive win for anyone. The Wonderboy fight was just two fake K-1 guys sparring.

Back