The Sheer Idiocy of Opponents Talking Trash

In stark opposition to the recent thread, Be grateful that Sean is abrasive, I offer the opposite view, that Talking trash = Sheer Idiocy.

Sean Strickland vs. Dricus Du Plessis was almost universally regarded as "hard sparring match," with ALMOST ZERO actual efforts to finish.
All that "trash talking" constituted nothing but woof tickets ...

By contrast, consider Khabib vs. Gaethje.
Both fighters respectful, toned down, but seriously determined in their efforts.
The fight itself was a banger, with Gaethje trying to kill Khabib with almost every shot, and Khabib hunting Gaethje down like a wolf.
On the second takedown, Khabib executes a beautiful finish.

More recently, consider Pereira versus Procházka.
Both warriors, both quiet, both confident, both respecting their opponents, but both deadly serious ... in fact many called the pre-fight staredown "the most intense they had ever seen" ... yet both were respectful.
Again, the fight itself was a banger, with Pereira expertly crippling Procházka, and yet with Jiri going into "wild man mode" in the second — BOTH LOOKING TO FINISH.
Pereira got the finish.

Bottom Line: Real fighters don't need trash talk.
What they need are balls, plus the ability and the desire TO FINISH.

At the end of the day Strickland and DDP are elite at nothing, ability-wise, and neither one of them stepped on the gas to legit go for a finish.
At best, their fight (despite all the "trash talk") was mediocre, and ultimately a disappointment.

The most exciting fights don't need one drop of trash talk, they just need warriors who are legit trying to finish each other, and who have the ability to do so.

"Trash talk" is a substitute for actual balls and skill.

The most elite fighters typically are quiet, but serious and confident.
Their actions will speak louder than their words.
Its wolf tickets. I can't take people serious when they fuck up simple shit like that.

We were taught two things early: Snitches get stitches and talk shit, get hit. The new era of "Talk shit, get rich" is insane to me. I'm turning into the old guy yelling at the clouds though.

What? Where have you been? Sports figures - fighters specifically - have been talking shit since before you and I were born. Ever hear of ali? Lol.

Reactions: HHJ
What? Where have you been? Sports figures - fighters specifically - have been talking shit since before you and I were born. Ever hear of ali? Lol.
So many "fight fans" know so little of its history. Apparently shit talking was invented by Conor Mcgregor and the WWE,according to most of these types.

I’ve just always found it so bizarre that there are so many people who follow this sport just because they like when the athletes say mean things to each other.

Not everyone gets pushed like the lads at PFL and bellator they need to sell

Its wolf tickets. I can't take people serious when they fuck up simple shit like that.
It can be used interchangeably. "Woof" originating from the barking of a dog (but no biting).

In my opinion, if you do not appreciate the trash talk, just watch the event and that is it. You can certainly enjoy the sport without taking a part in the circus around it.

It is a fact that you have to sell fights to gain more success. There are multiple examples of fighters talking about being approached by the UFC and told plainly "Get interesting to the media/fans or you won't get better fights".

The cheap and childish verbal fighting taking place at the press conferences is something I dislike a lot. Constantly interrupting each other, non-arguments, empy threats, low insults thrown around... I would not appreciate that more if the fighters gave it their all in the octagon.

Yeah. Those dudes were outliers who did it well. Now we have the equivalent of the cockroaches from Family Guy.

Styles make fights. Hype sells fights.

OP has buyers remorse because he took "to the death" literally.

What about McGregor trash talking Aldo? Had he been respectful, Aldo likely would never have come out swinging like a maniac. McGregor's trash talking tour with Aldo was amazing, it truly was fun to watch. But that's also one of the very few cases when trash talking has been fun, mostly it's just childish. DDP and Sean both make themselves look like low IQ people when they open their mouth, but then again who cares, it's prize fighting.

We were taught two things early: Snitches get stitches and talk shit, get hit. The new era of "Talk shit, get rich" is insane to me. I'm turning into the old guy yelling at the clouds though.
There's so much exposure for everyone, that anyone's minute of shame is a drop in the ocean. There's so much chatter, that no one is ashamed for long. One second and they are old news....

Back