The Return of: The Weenie in the Squat Rack

jan 14

squat: 285 x 5
arnold press: 20, 25, 30 x 3x8
DL: 325 x5
I, Y, W, L, ext rot: 7.5 x 2 x 8-10
pull up machine: ~5 x 5

so yesterday, while sitting at my desk, I was stretching, hands clasped overhead and just working the corners, and my right shoulder pops out. I had to move it around a bit to get it back in, but it popped back in fairly quick. I was a bit worried about it today as it was a bit sore in certain positions. but i went in to the gym anyhow to give it a go and see what i was able to do without pain.

everything went as good as can be expected. squats didnt hurt, the ramp up sets felt really strong, even at 250. 285 as a bit of a grind though, but got them up ok

arnold press: i was most worried about this, so I started out low. 30 felt like a good place. on one rep, i think the weight got a bit away from me and started drifting a bit too far back and I got into a position that didnt feel good. was able to correct it though and got the reps in

DL: felt good, expect for the top set, same story as the squats

I, y, w, L, felt good at 7.5 lbs.

pull up: just feel like I suck at this so much. I need to keep at it.

jan 17

squat: 255 x 5
inc db press: 20, 25, 30, 35, 40, 45 x 3x8
cable row
face pulls
I, y, w, L, ext rot,: 7.5
pull up machine: 5x5

was going for 290 on squats, but looks like Im at the ceiling again for increases every workout. i'll try to grind away for a bit before i switch over to madcow.

inc db press: i didnt really know where to start bc of the recent shoulder issue, but it all felt good. I'll probably try to hit 45 x 3x10 next go

pull ups are just abismal, esp at the end of the work out.

jan 19

squat: 290 x 5
arn press: 35 x 3x8
DL: 335 x 5
pull up machine: 5 x 5
I, Y, W, L, ext rot: 7.5 x 2 x 10

jan 21

squat: 215 x 2 x 5
inc press: 45 x 3 x 10
cable row, 75, 90, 105 105, 90, 75 x 10
face pull: 45 x 3 x 10
pull up machine: 5x5
I, Y, W, L, ext rot: 7.5 x 2 x 10

inc press felt pretty solid.

not sure why but the cable rows & face pulls felt lighter than normal. i used a different machine than normal, but i would think it be the same.

pull ups & I, Y, W, Ls all felt better. still using assistance on the pull up machine, start at ~8 and then go to ~11. I keep it low enough that Im struggling for that 5th rep.

Feb 4

squat: 255 x 5
inc db press: 45 x 3 x 8
cable row: 80, 90, 100, 90, 80 x 8-10
face pull: 40, 30, 30 x 8-10
pull up machine: x5
I, Y, W, L, ext rot: 7.5 x 2 x 8-10

wow, its been a while. there was a workout early last week but it was really really crap. I was coming down with the flu and havent been sleeping at all. finally getting better so back to the gym.

squats felt ok, but kinda heavy at the same time. chalking that up to the lay off.

everything else was ok.

I think i've figured out what im going to do with myself. 531 BBB, but with inclined dumbell press and arnold press instead of bench & overhead. I'm still not very confident in my shoulders to be pushing anything at the moment.

in the next few weeks, I'll work up to a legit clean set of 5 on squats and deads and program from there.

in the mean time, im trying to work on my mobility some more. curently doing the 30/30 squat challenge. on day 4 at the moment and i definitely feel a difference already. in fact im in bottom position as i type this.

I do need to find something for my upper body and my glutes/hams as well

feb 7

squat: 265 x 5
arn press: 35 x 3 x 8
DL: 345 x 5
pull up machine; x 5
I, Y, W, L, ext rot: 7.5 x 2x8

squats were feeling good until the top set

DL felt good, speed felt good, grip felt good. was able to double over at 275 with no issues. it usually starts to slip at that point. I also got luck and had a straight bar with no bends

pull ups: feeling better. using less assistance. First set with no assistance

feb 9

squat: 270 x 5
inc press: 45 x 3 x 8
cable rows: 80, 90, 100, 90, 80 x 8-10
face pulls: 40 x 3 x 8-10
pull up mach: x 5

was hard to get motivated/pumped up for squats. i need to work on my mental game as I have been lacking on it and have been pretty lax on it

inc press: felt good, i should probably move up to 50.

pull ups were crap today. not sure why.

feb 11

squat: 275 x 5
arn press: 35 x 3 x 8
DL: 355 x 5

squats felt good, getting "heavy" feels good again.

press: last few reps were tough to get up

DL: felt strong working up. was heavy though. again, feels good to be lifting "heavy"

i was beat and had to get home, so i stopped there :/ shouldve done a little more

Need to iron out the details of the next program.

feb 16

squat: 280 x 5
inc press: 50 x 3x8
cable row: 80, 90, 100, 90, 80 x 8
face pull: 40 x 3x8
I, Y, W, L ext rot: 75 x 2x8

squats felt good, warm up sets felt a bit heavy and slow, but last two sets felt good

inc press: 50 was heavy but got them all up. good weight to be at

tried a new handle for cable rows. a bit wider than before.

i got a pull up tower at home, so i wont be doing pull ups at the gym any more. I'll hit the pull ups whenever I can.

2 methods i've used in the past: max reps for a few sets, or sub max reps for many sets, throughout the day, so whenever i walk by

Feb 18

squat: 215 x2x5
arn press: 35 x 3x8
DL: 135

not sure why, but i felt really out of it mentally today. didnt do much

i have planned out the next program. 531 BBB essentially with inc db press instead of bench & arn db press instead of SOHP. for the BBB sets, I'll do bench and SOHP. purpose is to start working in pressing with a barbell but with a lighter weight. after a few cycles, I should have some confidence in going a bit heavier on these and hopefully switch back to pressing with a barbell

Back