The Real Mr Wrestlemania

o'dubhlaoich

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Is none other than Randy motherfucking savage. Look at his Wrestlemania 2-Wrestlemania 8 run. He wrestled George The Animal Steele, Ricky Steamboat, The Wrestlemania 4 tourney (Reed, Valentine, One Man Gang, and Dibiase), Hogan, Dusty Rhodes, The Ultimate Warrior, and Ric Flair. Try to think of a better consecutive Wrestlemania run than that. I realize not all of those were main events. But going by quality of matches and big names, Savage had the best consecutive Mania run ever. The Mega powers buildup was so well done. Him vs Steamboat is easily one of the best mania matches ever.

Steamboat, Hogan, Warrior and Flair were all great matches.

Still though, HBK got him beat without breaking a sweat.

Steamboat, Hogan, Warrior and Flair were all great matches.

Still though, HBK got him beat without breaking a sweat.

Im talking consecutive though. HBK did his thing. I agree. Nothing was bigger than 1980s mania and savage was the man during that time. HBK had Razor ladder match, Hart Ironman match, HHH/Benoit triple threat, and the Taker matches. Am I missing any?

Im talking consecutive though. HBK did his thing. I agree. Nothing was bigger than 1980s mania and savage was the man during that time. HBK had Razor ladder match, Hart Ironman match, HHH/Benoit triple threat, and the Taker matches. Am I missing any?
Rockers vs Twin Towers at WM5 was a good match
Vs Tatanka at WM9 was probably match of the night.
Vs Austin at WM14 was good especially for attitude era
WM19 vs Jericho
WM21 vs Angle
WM24 vs Flair

Half of those Savage matches were shit. I love the guy but cmon the mixed tag match at WM6 was terrible, most of the WM4 tourney matches were not worth watching.

Forgot about the Angle and Flair matches. The psychology in the Flair match was so awesome.

I'll throw Bret's name in the mix:
8- Rowdy Roddy Piper
9-Yokozuna
10-Yokozuna
11-Bob Backlund
12-Shawn Michaels
13-Steve Austin

What about best three matches in a row, I think that's a decent metric.

What about best three matches in a row, I think that's a decent metric.

How do you not go Savage? Hart had HBK Ironman and Austin back to back. Not three in a row though. Savage had Rhodes, Warrior, and Flair.

How do you not go Savage? Hart had HBK Ironman and Austin back to back. Not three in a row though. Savage had Rhodes, Warrior, and Flair.

Hart had Austin back to back?

Three in a row:

HBK had Flair, Taker, Taker, and also Jericho, HHH/Benoit, Angle

Taker had Edge, HBK, HBK as well as HBK, HBK, HHH

Austin had Hart (my favorite match of all time) HBK (a very good match on it's own, and even better when you realize how injured Shawn was at the time) and Rocky

As great as Savage was - and he was great - I'd take all three of those guys' top 3 over the three you listed for Savage. The Rhodes match, for me, isn't memorable at all. If you had asked me who Savage wrestled at WM 6 before I clicked this thread I would have had to look it up. The Warrior match was very, very good, but it's more well-remembered, imo, for being the Warrior's best match, not really an all-time great match on its own. Flair/Savage was good, and I know I'm in the vast majority here, but I think it's overrated. They told a decent story with the attacks on Savage's leg, but I always thought the interference from Perfect, the roll-up win, and the attack after the bell detracted from what could have been an all-time great "wrestling" match between the two.

Rockers vs Twin Towers at WM5 was a good match
Vs Tatanka at WM9 was probably match of the night.
Vs Austin at WM14 was good especially for attitude era
WM19 vs Jericho
WM21 vs Angle
WM24 vs Flair

Half of those Savage matches were shit. I love the guy but cmon the mixed tag match at WM6 was terrible, most of the WM4 tourney matches were not worth watching.

Shawn's match with Cena at WM 23 was also really good.

Three in a row:

Austin had Hart (my favorite match of all time) HBK (a very good match on it's own, and even better when you realize how injured Shawn was at the time) and Rocky

As great as Savage was - and he was great - I'd take all three of those guys' top 3 over the three you listed for Savage. The Rhodes match, for me, isn't memorable at all. If you had asked me who Savage wrestled at WM 6 before I clicked this thread I would have had to look it up. The Warrior match was very, very good, but it's more well-remembered, imo, for being the Warrior's best match, not really an all-time great match on its own. Flair/Savage was good, and I know I'm in the vast majority here, but I think it's overrated. They told a decent story with the attacks on Savage's leg, but I always thought the interference from Perfect, the roll-up win, and the attack after the bell detracted from what could have been an all-time great "wrestling" match between the two.

You misread my quote. I said he wrestled HBK and Austin in back to back mania's. Savage wrestled some of the biggest names of all time during his mania run. He also got quality matches out of Hogan and Warrior. Thats saying something. Especially against the Warrior.

You misread my quote. I said he wrestled HBK and Austin in back to back mania's. Savage wrestled some of the biggest names of all time during his mania run. He also got quality matches out of Hogan and Warrior. Thats saying something. Especially against the Warrior.

That makes more sense. I still think you wrote it in a misleading fashion and I don't appreciate your trickery, though. :)

Getting a quality match out of Hogan isn't a chore. Hogan was a very good wrestler who is criminally underrated. Getting that good of a match out of Warrior is something special, though. What I meant was that WM 7 is an example of Savage getting a very good match out of Warrior, a much better match than just about anyone else ever could. But it's not an all-time great match like HBK/Taker or Bret/Austin. That's not Savage's fault at all - he got as good as match as humanly possible out of Warrior and I give him all the credit in the world for it. But it's not going to be a match that I tell my son he "has to see" because it's so great or anything like that. If that makes sense.

Just to be clear, I'm not crapping on Savage at all. He was one of the best ever, period. We're just comparing the best of the bestest right now, and as far as WM performances go I would put him a step behind HBK, and a half step behind Taker. I'd probably have him on equal ground as Austin, and a step ahead of Bret.

Three in a row:

Thank you. I was about to go ape shit and drop some bombs in here if nobody mentioned HBK cena WM 23. One of the most overlooked classics of all time

As far as this thread is concerned HBK is mr wrestlemania you fucking goofs

There's only one Mr. WM and it's definitely not HBK.

You forgot his epic match with Crush at WM X

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back