• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

THE PUNISHER Netflix Series (Season 2 Premiering Jan. 2019)

If you have seen THE PUNISHER season one, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not a big fan of a talkative Frank Castle.

In DD Frank has this scene where he's at the cemetery and he's talking to the red head for a long time in the rain People were raving about that scene on here and I hated it. I zoned out during the scene it just wasn't good.

Either way I was let down by this show. The PTSD killed it for me.

The goddamn carousel scenes I was like "FUCK, YES" through the whole thing.

It's been over a month so I frankly am not going to put this next bit in spoilers.

Making Billy and Frank have past history from Frank's time as a Marine makes their almost rivalry that much better imo. In the comics and in Punisher Warzone with Stevenson, Billy is nothing more than some random mafioso that Frank throws into a glass recycling machine and then turns on said machine maiming him. In the show the fact that he knows Billy from essentially his past life and made the conscious decision to not kill Billy and just maim him further makes Billy becoming Jigsaw that much better IMO.

They also picked a great guy to play Rawlins. The moment he sees Frank in the camera and let's out the "oh shit" he portrayed a very real looking look of fear and it was great.

This surprises me.
After the dragging episode 6, I stopped and put the show down the queue. I'll try to finish the series by the end of the year and hope it delivers like what some of you are saying.

In DD Frank has this scene where he's at the cemetery and he's talking to the red head for a long time in the rain People were raving about that scene on here and I hated it. I zoned out during the scene it just wasn't good.

Either way I was let down by this show. The PTSD killed it for me.
In DD season 2 when Frank had Matt chained up on the building rooftop and they were exchanging moralities, I knew then this was going to be a talkative Punisher. I prefer the Punisher with a few words.

After the dragging episode 6, I stopped and put the show down the queue. I'll try to finish the series by the end of the year and hope it delivers like what some of you are saying.

In DD season 2 when Frank had Matt chained up on the building rooftop and they were exchanging moralities, I knew then this was going to be a talkative Punisher. I prefer the Punisher with a few words.

Show has some of the most balls to the wall violence of any netflix series for the final 3 episodes.

It ended really strong.

Yep. I prefer very little talking from him as well. That's when his character really shrines with just looks and actions. When he first meets micro and he's getting ready to torture him but he's not talking and Micro is just talking non-stop. I thought that scene was so great. Frank was saying so much without even opening his mouth.

I saw that scene ^^^^^^ and instantly knew I was going to love the show.

I get why people like the almost silent Frank but I love that they have Bernthal playing a more talkative one... makes the character FAR more relatable, far more human, and far FAR more sympathetic. It'd make sense if this show gets to like a Season 3 to have Frank be near silent as it's a trait he has in every comic run to. He goes from being basically normal to being a human killing machine with no remorse, and just one purpose, to kill evildoers. It's partly why when he blows away 3 members of the Brotherhood of Mutants Captain America loses his cool and almost beats him to death. And the whole time Steve is SCREAMING at him to fight back and Frank won't.

The line from DD of "what happens when someone comes gunning for you?" and Frank's response of "they better not miss" isn't pulled from anything but you get this feeling that's what his sole purpose becomes the longer he does his thing. It's why he didn't fight back against Steve (in addition to admiring the fuck out of Rogers to the point of almost worshipping him) and it's also why they were able to do the alternate universe where Frank kills fucking everyone. He essentially BECOMES the Viking ideal, a man so bent and capable on the battlefield that all he wants is someone to finally end his suffering... and he never finds that person that can do that for him.

I don't think you could have THAT version of Frank on Netflix without them showing something to get him to that point. You can even see the change starting from DDS2 into the first season of him by himself. He's far more human in DDS2 but in the first Season of Punisher he does something I'd never see him do in S2 of DD... he screams at Karen. It's pretty obvious he views Karen as his one path to remaining a real human and sees his wife in her... but he loses his cool at one point with her and screams in her face.

Show has some of the most balls to the wall violence of any netflix series for the final 3 episodes.

It ended really strong.
"I wake up and I look for them, and they're not there. I'm going to show you loss, and you can see what you've lost every morning when you wake up and see your ugly mangled face"

It ended really strong.

Yep it ended strong. Gave me hopes for season 2 but overall I found this to be the weakest of all the Marvel shows. Which I never expected honestly. Mainly because all the side stories were crap, PTSD kid and Homeland security. In the other shows the side stories weren't so bad. In fact Ironfist had a great side story and pretty much carried the show a bit.

I really think DD season 2 was much better for the Punisher then his own season. Hopefully season 2 keeps things simple and violent, not needlessly complicated and interwoven.

Yep it ended strong. Gave me hopes for season 2 but overall I found this to be the weakest of all the Marvel shows. Which I never expected honestly. Mainly because all the side stories were crap, PTSD kid and Homeland security. In the other shows the side stories weren't so bad. In fact Ironfist had a great side story and pretty much carried the show a bit.
PTSD kid existed for Frank to become known to the world again. That's the whole purpose of that and it's also to show two sides of the same coin. Frank for sure has PTSD from what he saw/did in Afghanistan (the fight prior to punching out Rawlins) and what happened to his family and he can, for the most part when he doesn't get involved in shit like he did at the construction site live as a normal human being. PTSD kid shows what happens when they get disenfranchised and they don't have a support system/person to keep them grounded.

That was my only real problem with this show. Whoever wrote it was in love with monologues. Punisher was a bigtime chatty Cathy. I don’t mind it much but he was talking way too much and doing more “sharing” than someone with his character profile ever would.

PTSD kid existed for Frank to become known to the world again. That's the whole purpose of that and it's also to show two sides of the same coin. Frank for sure has PTSD from what he saw/did in Afghanistan (the fight prior to punching out Rawlins) and what happened to his family and he can, for the most part when he doesn't get involved in shit like he did at the construction site live as a normal human being. PTSD kid shows what happens when they get disenfranchised and they don't have a support system/person to keep them grounded.

Yea I get what they were trying to do it was just poorly done and should have been rewritten without the kid involved. Figure out another way to get Frank exposed. As far as showing two sides of the same coin should have ignored that too.

I feel like Marvel didn't understand what people liked about Punisher from DD and they tried to do something different. We liked the pure\raw violence. The IDGAF attitude. That's what the show should have been. Honestly just dropping that kid would have been a huge help to this show. Me and my wife by like episode 5\6 were just like WTF is it with this kid were tired of this shit.

Oh we get it, it just sucked. A real draf.

Wish they came up with something else or at the least, minimized it.

Yea I get what they were trying to do it was just poorly done and should have been rewritten without the kid involved. Figure out another way to get Frank exposed. As far as showing two sides of the same coin should have ignored that too.

I feel like Marvel didn't understand what people liked about Punisher from DD and they tried to do something different. We liked the pure\raw violence. The IDGAF attitude. That's what the show should have been. Honestly just dropping that kid would have been a huge help to this show. Me and my wife by like episode 5\6 were just like WTF is it with this kid were tired of this shit.
My dad as soon as he saw PTSD kid shoot at his dad on accident was like this:
"That kid is going to strap on a vest at some point"

Also, the violence of the last two episodes... for me more than makes up for the "chatty" nature of this Frank or the slowness of earlier episodes. Even in the slow episodes when Frank used violence it was off the charts brutality, and I had a shit eating grin and loved every minute of it.

I agree but disagree.

Yes what works in a cameo which is pure unbridled violence with little story telling works because its a cameo.

For a series planning to go many seasons I don't think a first person shooter type character can work long term.

giphy.gif

Maybe Punisher can take out the Iron Fist in one of the episodes in Season 2.

Is there anyone that can't take out Iron Fist? He's like the Ryan Bader of the MCU. Can't even imagine what the fighting proves of those other wimps at Kun Lun looks like, considering he beat them all.

Hell yeah, I'm ready to see the real Jigsaw and not pretty-boy Billy Russo. Hopefully they put Barracuda in there too, It should be easy to add him to the show considering he's just a buff black guy.

Also, I really hope this second season is more linear. We don't need all these pointless sub plots. The worst scenes were the ones without Frank.

I agree but disagree.

Yes what works in a cameo which is pure unbridled violence with little story telling works because its a cameo.

For a series planning to go many seasons I don't think a first person shooter type character can work long term.

Came here to say this. Comic Book Punisher works because a comic book can be read in ten minutes or so. You want as much bang for your buck as possible. If you picked up a comic where Frank spent most of it sitting around talking and agonizing over his family, you'd feel cheated.

By contrast, the episodes are 45 - 55 minutes long. It would impractical for many reasons if Frank was basically a human version of the Terminator. You might as well play a First Person Shooter game. Bernthal did a fantastic job of humanising Frank, playing him as someone who knows he is damaged goods and feels guilty because of it, but cannot escape his violant past and nature.

Yep. I prefer very little talking from him as well. That's when his character really shrines with just looks and actions. When he first meets micro and he's getting ready to torture him but he's not talking and Micro is just talking non-stop. I thought that scene was so great. Frank was saying so much without even opening his mouth.
He was definitely way more chatty and "human" than I expected given the comics and past live action versions. I'm not married to the canon so I didn't mind it so much, but I do prefer the strong silent type of antihero personally.

Surprised/not surprised you didn't like the cemetery scene. While it did show Bernthal is a helluva actor, I guess it did encapsulate everything "wrong" with this version of the Punisher.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back