***The Official SANCTIONED Lomachenko vs Linares RBR Thread 8:00PM ET ESPN 5/12/18***

Who Wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Geee, is there a perfect p4p boxer for your miserable asses?:confused:
well, i though andre ward and fmj were great pfp #1's...rjj in his prime...sweet pea whitaker after the jcc fight...even prime ssm after he beat dlh, because dlh was considered pfp #1 up til then.

i was there for the leonard-norris fight...
Well I aint no @Seano's age

The place was dead empty when Mikaela Mayer fought, but Mick Conlan came in 15 min later and the place was packed.

Conlan is a huge gate draw, but his fight sucked and he didnt impress at all

oh man i almost fell out of my chair when loma got dropped, that was fucking crazy!

i gave linares the 1st, the 6th with the knockdown, and the 9th (this one might've been generous)... so i had it pretty close, 86-84 at the time of the stoppage. i thought lomachenko was generally in control and is the far better boxer, but linares is no joke, and looked good in spots, much like was all thought he would.

i do believe the size is going to be problematic for lomachenko, though. he looked severely undersized in there, and i thought his legs were starting to go in the final 2 rounds, i didn't like the idea of it going any longer the way he moved. luckily for me, he didn't need to.

also, god damn what a body shot. took me a few rewinds to even figure out what he dropped him with. vasyl is the truth.

Anyone else think the referee was a bit prematuring in waving it off? Linares had been doing well leading up to that point. Not that it would have necessarily made a difference anyway. Just seemed a bit harsh to call it there.

edit: just saw it again, looked like Linares had had enough actually, so I take that back

oh man i almost fell out of my chair when loma got dropped, that was fucking crazy!

i gave linares the 1st, the 6th with the knockdown, and the 9th (this one might've been generous)... so i had it pretty close, 86-84 at the time of the stoppage. i thought lomachenko was generally in control and is the far better boxer, but linares is no joke, and looked good in spots, much like was all thought he would.

i do believe the size is going to be problematic for lomachenko, though. he looked severely undersized in there, and i thought his legs were starting to go in the final 2 rounds, i didn't like the idea of it going any longer the way he moved. luckily for me, he didn't need to.

also, god damn what a body shot. took me a few rewinds to even figure out what he dropped him with. vasyl is the truth.
I gave Linares the same rounds, I thought the 1st was pretty 50/50 while the 9th was a strong round for Linares.

Last edited:

That was the second time I saw some legit nervousness in Nomaschenko. It seems as though he doesn't have the power to go up in weight any higher which sounds stupid considering he just moved up in weight and knocked out the champ but I don't think he could have knocked him out with head shots. He looked tiny in there and got bullied several times but man does he have some slick combos and footwork.

Linares took a couple of paragraphs out of Salido's book with those back of the head shots in the clinch and a few serious low blows. Thought it was kind of a bitch move to quit and then say after the fight that the ref stopped it too soon and he was fine.

Anyone who says this fight hurt Loma's reputation is just fucking stupid. He moved up to fight the champ and stopped him while dealing with tons of adversity in the form of some serious shots and a 100% legit knockdown. The fact he can take a champ out late after being dropped and losing several rounds makes him better than he was before, not worse. Both guys had to walk through fire in that fight and it was the champ that quit. Loma is legit but I can see him losing eventually if he goes to 140. If he goes back to 130 he will be king for as long as he wants.

That was the second time I saw some legit nervousness in Nomaschenko. It seems as though he doesn't have the power to go up in weight any higher which sounds stupid considering he just moved up in weight and knocked out the champ but I don't think he could have knocked him out with head shots. He looked tiny in there and got bullied several times but man does he have some slick combos and footwork.

Linares took a couple of paragraphs out of Salido's book with those back of the head shots in the clinch and a few serious low blows. Thought it was kind of a bitch move to quit and then say after the fight that the ref stopped it too soon and he was fine.

Anyone who says this fight hurt Loma's reputation is just fucking stupid. He moved up to fight the champ and stopped him while dealing with tons of adversity in the form of some serious shots and a 100% legit knockdown. The fact he can take a champ out late after being dropped and losing several rounds makes him better than he was before, not worse. Both guys had to walk through fire in that fight and it was the champ that quit. Loma is legit but I can see him losing eventually if he goes to 140. If he goes back to 130 he will be king for as long as he wants.
agreed.

i do think he can stay at 135 and have his way with everyone, though. i believe he's going to look better as he adjusts to the new weight class, but 140 seems like too much right now. lomachenko was supposedly around 138 on fight night, while linares was north of 150. that was a big fucking difference between the two, and it seems like lomachenko is moving up without actually getting bigger. if he can't bulk up, he shouldn't be fighting that high.

Anyone else think the referee was a bit prematuring in waving it off? Linares had been doing well leading up to that point. Not that it would have necessarily made a difference anyway. Just seemed a bit harsh to call it there.

I gave Linares the same rounds, I thought the 1st was pretty 50/50 while the 9th was a strong round for Linares.
yeah i only said the 9th might have been generous because i saw a lot of people claim lomachenko won everything but the 1st and the 6th, and i was having breakfast during the 9th so i might not have been quite as focused.

don't know about it being premature though. the ref counted him out and linares was still bent over by the end of the count. i'm not questioning his heart, i honestly believe he tried his absolute best, but he couldn't stand straight and gave the ref no reason to assume he was in shape to keep going. he didn't protest the stoppage either, he knew he was done.

that's the bitch with body shots, though. at the time they make you feel like you can't even move, but if the fight is stopped and you're given a minute to walk around, you'll feel fine. i guess that's why he said he was OK in the post fight interview and wanted a rematch.

don't know about it being premature though. the ref counted him out and linares was still bent over by the end of the count. i'm not questioning his heart, i honestly believe he tried his absolute best, but he couldn't stand straight and gave the ref no reason to assume he was in shape to keep going. he didn't protest the stoppage either, he knew he was done.
Yeah you're right, I just saw it again, he was looking down at his feet as he got up and didn't complain after. His body language would have been all different if he truly wanted or was able to continue in that moment. Good stoppage.

you keep saying that...but you don't explain how...why don't you say the words i said to prove i discredited him...other than that it sounds like wishful thinking on your part...which means you're looking for easy answers and not able to handle reality.
Your response is some bullshit oh well Linares has lost before and Loma is supposed to beat bigger fighters, nothing special blah blah blah.

Yet leading up to the fight you pick Linares to win and have nothing bad to say. Its laughable.

Incredible fight, incredible performances by both men

Lomachenko is currently the best active boxer and there isn't a close #2

I thought Linares was starting to really get going right before the liver shot. He was getting pieced up for the majority of the fight though so I am 50/50 about a rematch. It might be the move if no one else wants to step up.

I find this statement weird.

bud
ggg
spence
mikey
canelo

Canelo is the only one with the comparable resume and he hasnt had a win of note in nearly three years now

Since Canelo's win over Cotto for the lineal crown Loma has dispatched of four elite fighters in Sosa, Walters, Rigo and now Linares

Not close imo, nobody is working like he is

Canelo is the only one with the comparable resume and he hasnt had a win of note in nearly three years now

Since Canelo's win over Cotto for the lineal crown Loma has dispatched of four elite fighters in Sosa, Walters, Rigo and now Linares

Loma is good but everyone i listed could be better or a close 2nd.

What makes what Loma is doing extra special is that he's not really a physical freak.

Manny had that freaky explosiveness and power. Floyd was super athletic and even at WW had a reach advantage over almost everyone he faced.

Not only is Lomachenko small with short arms, but he also doesn't even have a thick frame to add much more mass. His shoulders are tiny. He's got good handspeed but by no means freakish.

Lomachenko is just outskilling everyone. Badly.

Edit: But I think that lack of freakishness will limit his historical legacy in comparison with Manny and Floyd. He can maybe go up one more weight class and win a belt. Maybe.

Last edited:

sosa is elite? i guess that depends on how you define elite. i think hes world class, far, far far from elite

and walters was elite at 126, maybe not so much at 130, time will tell.

rigo could get beat by many fighters at 130, well never know if the cuban is elite at 130

linares is elite at 135 and a great win by loma.

sosa is elite? i guess that depends on how you define elite. i think hes world class, far, far far from elite

and walters was elite at 126, maybe not so much at 130, time will tell.

rigo could get beat by many fighters at 130, well never know if the cuban is elite at 130

linares is elite at 135 and a great win by loma.

He beat Fortuna which was a great win at 130, maybe "elite" is too nondescript a term but he was one of the best in the division

Insult out of nowhere? Interesting. When you have drank all of pac mans balls and buboy, I’ll still be here. Calm down, have a beer and taste some Filipino bad men.

Settle down...

Back