THE Official 2017 S&C Deadlift Competition Thread

Programming-wise, I'm competing on June 10, then I'll diet for a month and do (ugh) cardio, because I think I should be leaner and also, I have a class reunion July 8th and I want to look good.Then I'll work hypertrophy and mobility for a while, and try to improve on some weaknesses -- many of which are tied to my deadlift capability, like hamstrings, traps, grip, etc. After about 60 days of that, I'll start working on strength. I'll probably compete two or three times next calendar year and this is as serious as I've ever planned to take my training, so I expect improvement by the end of '17. I'll probably run 5/3/1 closing out the year.

I hope I'm on the team of a guy who's going to spend a month dieting hard for a high school reunion (lolwut) and at least 3 months of the competition not getting stronger.

Its about having fun
jimmy-mcnulty.gif

Programming-wise, I'm competing on June 10, then I'll diet for a month and do (ugh) cardio, because I think I should be leaner and also, I have a class reunion July 8th and I want to look good.Then I'll work hypertrophy and mobility for a while, and try to improve on some weaknesses -- many of which are tied to my deadlift capability, like hamstrings, traps, grip, etc. After about 60 days of that, I'll start working on strength. I'll probably compete two or three times next calendar year and this is as serious as I've ever planned to take my training, so I expect improvement by the end of '17. I'll probably run 5/3/1 closing out the year.
I hope I'm on the team of a guy who's going to spend a month dieting hard for a high school reunion (lolwut) and at least 3 months of the competition not getting stronger.
No shit. How DARE he enter this competition without full dedication and willingness to change his goals to best help his yet-unchosen team? And to do so without consulting you first? Fucking outrageous!

I say we kill him!

I say we hang him, then we kill him!

I say we stomp him... Then we tattoo him... Then we hang him.... And then we kill him!

But seriously, everybody is at different levels of training and will have different levels of focus. So what? I'd say it's pretty likely that at least one person will get injured or disappear or just not contribute for whatever reason. I'd much rather have someone on my team who will be there at the end with "only" four months worth of improvement.

On the same note, it's not really fair that I've only been lifting for three weeks after five years of not lifting at all. So, as a former 600+ deadlifter, I fully expect to make the biggest improvement. That's not fair either. But, if I end up with 150 lbs of improvement and I'm on your team, I doubt I'll hear you complain about it.

I'll work to improve and I expect to improve. I should have a higher number to post as of June 10 (meet) and I want a 60 pound improvement over the course of this informal competition. I have a stated goal of a state record in '18. I keep a log with my workout progress in it.

Let's just say I'm as motivated to do well as anyone here.

Last edited:
I'll see how much I can pull tomorrow. Don't know if I want to try this conventional or sumo.

I'll work to improve and I expect to improve. I should have a higher number to post as of June 10 (meet) and I want a 60 pound improvement over the course of this informal competition. I have a stated goal of a state record in '18. I keep a log with my workout progress in it.

Let's just say I'm as motivated to do well as anyone here.

60 lbs would be amazing. I'm asking for 70 myself.

@MatterOverMind I will have to pull-out. Demian Maia is teaching at our academy every day this week and I am will be focusing on that.

Thank you.

So, I chose my 1rm attempt poorly. My work-up sets felt heavy, so I went with 425. It was a little slow off the floor, but then I smoked it. Fuck.

So I loaded up 445. Even though I've been lifting exclusively with a hook grip, I almost mixed-gripped the bar. Then, I cat-backed the shit out of it and almost blacked out afterward.

I was pretty happy with how 425 looked. Not so much with 445 though.

Last edited:
@toonie you in, broheim?

Yeah, I'm down to compete.

Just started training again about 4 weeks ago. I only managed 455 yesterday. Tried 485 but couldn't break it off the floor.

I think a more realistic starting max for me right now would be 495. I pulled 495 extremely easily six months back. I was ten pounds heavier, but more importantly I had a solid string of training before that. Obviously that wasn't my max back then, but my 455 yesterday moved no where near as fast.

Video of yesterday's 455 and the 495 from November.

Best lockout I can do -- this is 445 again. Wife is getting tired of filming lifts -- you can kinda hear she's annoyed that I interrupted her while she was on her way to a grad party so she could film deadlifts. :)

Anyway:

She's probably just annoyed you didn't do it properly the first time.

Yeah, I'm down to compete.

Just started training again about 4 weeks ago. I only managed 455 yesterday. Tried 485 but couldn't break it off the floor.

I think a more realistic starting max for me right now would be 495. I pulled 495 extremely easily six months back. I was ten pounds heavier, but more importantly I had a solid string of training before that. Obviously that wasn't my max back then, but my 455 yesterday moved no where near as fast.

Video of yesterday's 455 and the 495 from November.

495, eh?

Any objections?

Back