The notion that going down in weight is a p**** move

Everybody calling TJ a bitch for going down and saying he's ducking contenders. LOL
What fighter is gonna say no to the opportunity of becoming a double champ and getting paid a bunch of money to do it?

<36>

Be mad at the UFC. This is the fight they clearly want to happen or else they wouldn't be sending the contracts out.
Lol dj apparently

I'm sorry but I just don't get it. People are giving TJ shit for wanting to fight for the FLW belt and enhancing his legacy, and it doesn't make sense to me.

I'm my opinion, the lowest weight that you can make and perform well at is your 'natural' weight class. Now if TJ makes the weight and wins, to me it just means that he has been fighting bigger opposition at BW all along, and deserves even more credit for having performed well till now at a weight higher than what he can physically make and fight at.

Does anyone agree with my interpretation here?

source.gif

Whatever way u slice it this is a weak bitch move by a champ who doesn't want to risk losing his belt

In the current case, TJ will only get to fight at FLW once since they are closing down the division, but if he does make the weight and wins, in my opinion he would be p4p 1 considering he has been fighting and winning at a weight class over the one he can realistically compete in.
Nothing prevented him from competing at FLW more than once. If he only wants to move down for a title shot, that's on him. He can do whatever he wants with his career, but the previous fact doesn't change.

I disagree that making the weight once means he can 'realistically' compete in the division. To be realistically competitive, he'd have to be able to make the weight consistently. Plenty of examples of fighters making near-death cuts once or twice, only to flee the division afterward or miss repeatedly, because they can't 'realistically' make the weight anymore, or consistently, or in such a fashion that allows them to perform in the fight.

mma_sd_irvin_200.jpg

Anthony-Johnson-TUF-8.jpg

143153-thumb.jpg

lama.jpg

TJ can make 125, Max Holloway can't make 135.

So calling for TJ to fight Max instead is absolutely retarded, when Max should be fighting at 170.

But what can you do, MMA fans are mostly retards who don't train and don't know anything about the sport. Especially on Sherdog.

I'm sorry but I just don't get it. People are giving TJ shit for wanting to fight for the FLW belt and enhancing his legacy, and it doesn't make sense to me.

I'm my opinion, the lowest weight that you can make and perform well at is your 'natural' weight class. Now if TJ makes the weight and wins, to me it just means that he has been fighting bigger opposition at BW all along, and deserves even more credit for having performed well till now at a weight higher than what he can physically make and fight at.

Agree 100%. Being labeled a dual champ is priority number 1, but a STRONG second priority is exactly what you just said.

When/if TJ goes through Henry like a buzzsaw, that just shows he would have been dominating 125 this ENTIRE time, if he wasn't busy fighting MUCH BETTER competition at BW.

Thats why TJ started begging for this fight in the first place. Hype about MM being the "p4p best ever" was getting so over the top while MM was smashing little kid sized fighters, while TJ was up with the fucking killers really proving his skills.

Fighting dudes in a smaller, shallower division is a pussy move. Dropping down to have a size advantage is a pussy move.

I don’t understand how people think beating Henry Cejudo for a belt with no division enhances his legacy more than avenging a loss to the Greatest BW of all time.

TJ has never, ever fought at 125 and here you are giving him credit for fighting at a higher weight class all these years.

Clown shoes man. Real clown shoes.

It's stupid and it's our meathead side, even of hardcore fans, seeping out.

I mean it really depends. Anderson Silva doing test cuts to 175 at his age, hoping to "challenge himself" is just sad, as is GSP's attempted hard cuts to fight at Lightweight.

But TJ Dillashaw is 150 lbs. Plenty of flyweights are that weight. TBH many flyweights and bantamweights are pretty close in overall body mass.

Garbrandt fought TJ for the belt, and his cage weight was 142 lbs, the same as Mighty mouse.

It's funny, people think that if you move down a division you will keep all your size and strength and therefore be at an advantage. That's not how physiology works. Unless you're willing to die to move down several divisions like Rumble, that was pathetic.

Cejudo is a big FLW, he's already close in size to TJ and could easily move up and challenge him. If TJ moves down, he definitely won't have an advantage.

It is a coward move in the case of Valentina.
Joanna vs Valentina is a horrible match up for Joanna.
Valentina should have been gunning for the Nunes vs Cyborg winner

“I'm my opinion, the lowest weight that you can make and perform well at is your 'natural' weight class.”

I don’t exactly agree with this. I don’t think that the lowest weight a fighter can make is his ‘natural’ weight class, take Rumble for example. Rumble proved most efficient at LHW although he could compete at WW-HW.

At different weights a fighter may produce different levels of efficiency, if he/she can make the weight, then I say FAIR GAME. Nothing pu**y about it.

I think everyone is assuming TJ would win....

If you are making weight, and fighting well (i.e.-not losing performance from the cut), no one should say shit.

It's that simple.

Lmao anytime “natural” weight is said to be the weight they can make. Then they’re 15+lbs over that weight class on fight night because there is no way they can fight at their weigh in weight. Here’s your sign; your natural weight is the weight at which you can COMPETE. Just because you’re able to dehydrate yourself, cause trauma to your body and step on a scale and “make” weight for literally minutes......there’s nothing “natural” about that.

TJ fighting at 125 makes no sense, because the fight could and should be at 135 since the 125 lb division is being scrapped anyway. What happens if TJ loses the fight, then Cejudo has to move up to 135 where TJ is the champ, and he just defeated TJ?

That's stupid.

There's two sides to every story and in this case TJ is the much more proven fighter who is two time champ with title defenses who won his last two fights via KO, Cejudo has no title defenses and won via Split decision to a fighter who previously finished him on the first round with ease.

The opportunity to be "double champ" is being given to the fighter more deserving of that opportunity and the status that goes along with it.

Mighty Mouse REFUSED to fight TJ in his record setting 11th title defense. That is the origin of TJ going to 125, MM was getting all sorts of hype and ranked #1 p4p and TJ get he could beat him at his own weight class so he laid out the challenge, giving MM the "big fight" he was asking for and offering him a worthy challenge to prove he deserved the praise and #1 p4p status and place in the record books.

I do blame the UFC for not paying MM sufficiently to make the fight happen but I can't blame TJ for seeking a big fight and opportunity to go in the record books. He isn't a huge 135 and according to TJ has never missed weight in his career, including his entire wrestling career. (This defeating this whole "TJ won't/can't make weight" bullshit.)

Back