1. Season 6 of the International Shoop League is now active! Click here to vote on your favorite shoop submissions!

The notion that going down in weight is a p**** move

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by MMA fan93, Nov 12, 2018.

1. MMA fan93

MMA fan93 Blue Belt

I'm sorry but I just don't get it. People are giving TJ shit for wanting to fight for the FLW belt and enhancing his legacy, and it doesn't make sense to me.

I'm my opinion, the lowest weight that you can make and perform well at is your 'natural' weight class. Now if TJ makes the weight and wins, to me it just means that he has been fighting bigger opposition at BW all along, and deserves even more credit for having performed well till now at a weight higher than what he can physically make and fight at.

Does anyone agree with my interpretation here?

2. gono btw

gono btw Rounds...

"Impressive..."

saku bless.jpg

3. Sweater of AV

Sweater of AV Brown Belt

4. RizinSon88

RizinSon88 (Silence)

Only if a guy has shown he can fight in that division more than once. I used to think fighting in different weight classes was proof of P4P greatness, but have more than one match.

Black Paladin and Venom like this.
  5. Venom

Venom Lurker since '09

It's stupid and it's our meathead side, even of hardcore fans, seeping out.

I mean it really depends. Anderson Silva doing test cuts to 175 at his age, hoping to "challenge himself" is just sad, as is GSP's attempted hard cuts to fight at Lightweight.

But TJ Dillashaw is 150 lbs. Plenty of flyweights are that weight. TBH many flyweights and bantamweights are pretty close in overall body mass.

6. gono btw

gono btw Rounds...

Some would even go...UP!...

7. Maaj19

Maaj19 Blue Belt

It's annoying when TJ was calling DJ scared for not going up to bw when he wasn't exactly steaming to go up to FW. I much prefer TJ just moving down

Thepaintbucket and Zodd like this.
  8. Sweater of AV

Sweater of AV Brown Belt

Samurai spirit.

KhaBeiber and gono btw like this.
  9. beephin

beephin Black Belt

Everybody calling TJ a bitch for going down and saying he's ducking contenders. LOL
    What fighter is gonna say no to the opportunity of becoming a double champ and getting paid a bunch of money to do it?

<36>

Be mad at the UFC. This is the fight they clearly want to happen or else they wouldn't be sending the contracts out.

Black Paladin likes this.
  10. gono btw

gono btw Rounds...

minowa samu.png

11. MMA fan93

MMA fan93 Blue Belt

I agree with this. In the current case, TJ will only get to fight at FLW once since they are closing down the division, but if he does make the weight and wins, in my opinion he would be p4p 1 considering he has been fighting and winning at a weight class over the one he can realistically compete in.

12. ANIM4L

ANIM4L Brown Belt

typically in combat sports people move up for bigger challenges. besides that he's ducking Moraes

JJ Frog likes this.
  13. Leinster Rugby

Leinster Rugby Black Belt

pussy move:

[​IMG]

MMA fan93 and KhaBeiber like this.
  14. TheWobbler

TheWobbler Brown Belt

Loads of fighters cut tons of weight to have a big advantage in a division. Why the hate because tj is doing it for another belt.

15. Thepaintbucket

Thepaintbucket Silver Belt

Because it's like David and Goliath. You generally look heroic moving up a weight class and facing the bigger guy who happens to be the champion.

I agree that if the guy can make the weight class then it's fine by me.

One thing tho: There is no such thing as a natural weight class as your body isn't in a freeze frame state. It's constantly changing through internal and external forces.

MassDebater and thehighking like this.
  16. Left Hook Larry

Left Hook Larry Easiest fight of my life

I just find it weird that people think beating someone smaller adds to your greatness. You're expected to win, there's no adversity. It also means nothing if they're just gonna get rid of the FLW division anyway. How could you call yourself a champ champ if they get rid of the belt right after

17. boss429

boss429 BowtieA$$a$$in

No. I don't agree that the lowest weight you can reach by starving yourself and dehydrating to the brink of death is your "natural weight". Your natural weight is the weight you are during your training camp when you are in optimal condition and the weight you want to get as close too as you can post weighin before stepping into the cage.

Weight cutting is a stupid practice imo and theres nothing really impressive about weighing 125 for 30 seconds before you gain back 20 or 30 pounds before stepping into the cage to fight for the "125 pound title".

Another reason to respect Mayweather, as he grew he moved up in weight until he got to Jr Middleweight where he couldn't even make the 154 pound limit but still won and defended the title multiple times. Or Frankie Edgar who's fighting style I don't really care for but fought at and won the title at what was essentially his actual body weight.

JJ Frog likes this.
  18. TankAbbott4Eva

TankAbbott4Eva Red Belt

I'm going to go the other way and say it's bullshit to call a dominant champ a pussy for not going up in weight.

Tap machine likes this.
  19. Drugstore Cowboy

Drugstore Cowboy Sherdog GOAT Yellow Card

DC is a pussy for beating guys at LHW.

Fahcough likes this.
  20. vengeful

vengeful Green Belt

There's nothing natural about depleting your body of water/salt/electrolytes so that you lose enough weight to step on a scale and make a weight that you can't safely walk around at yet alone fight at.

Your natural weight class isn't the lowest weight class you can make, your natural weight class is the weight class you can make without needing to rehydrate yourself in order to be able to fight in 24 hours.

With that said, the vast majority of fighters aren't fighting at their natural weightclasses. TJ fighting at 125 makes no sense, because the fight could and should be at 135 since the 125 lb division is being scrapped anyway. What happens if TJ loses the fight, then Cejudo has to move up to 135 where TJ is the champ, and he just defeated TJ?

That's stupid.

JJ Frog likes this.