The new way to duck top contenders?

Alpha_T83

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Right now Tyron Woodley is pushing hard for a fight on the August UFC 227 card: https://www.lowkickmma.com/tyron-woodley-eyeing-return-at-upcoming-ufc-ppv/ This is just strange, because he's asking for an opponent right now, and demanding that specific card. I mean, why can't he wait 1 or 2 months more?

I honestly think this is an attempt to avoid fighting the #1 contender -- which will be the RDA-Covington winner at UFC 225, which is just 8 weeks earlier. It would be pretty much impossible for one of them to make it to UFC 227, partially because Woodley is asking for an opponent now. The UFC can't schedule either RDA or Covington to fight until that bout is concluded.

Right now Tyron is just trying to take easier fights, but that could backfire. If Darren Till is for real and beats Wonderboy, then Woodley would be 100% obligated to fight him at UFC 227...

Nobody is avoiding Covington.

What is there to avoid about him?

Pretty good wrestling. No power. No submissions. Bad striking.

He hasn’t beaten anyone outside of an old empty gas tank Maia

I highly doubt Woodley is avoiding Colby, or RDA... it is moreso the fights aren't $$$. Woodley beats both easily IMO, and outside of them there is no one else in the division on top

He clearly still wants a $$ fight, and at this point, he deserves it

When was the last time Woodley got what he wanted?

Right now Tyron Woodley is pushing hard for a fight on the August UFC 227 card: https://www.lowkickmma.com/tyron-woodley-eyeing-return-at-upcoming-ufc-ppv/ This is just strange, because he's asking for an opponent right now, and demanding that specific card. I mean, why can't he wait 1 or 2 months more?

I honestly think this is an attempt to avoid fighting the #1 contender -- which will be the RDA-Covington winner at UFC 225, which is just 8 weeks earlier. It would be pretty much impossible for one of them to make it to UFC 227, partially because Woodley is asking for an opponent now. The UFC can't schedule either RDA or Covington to fight until that bout is concluded.

Right now Tyron is just trying to take easier fights, but that could backfire. If Darren Till is for real and beats Wonderboy, then Woodley would be 100% obligated to fight him at UFC 227...

Darren Till isn't guaranteed a title shot if he beats Wonderboy, WTF. Woodley beat the shit out of Wonderboy in their last fight.

Till has had one big fight in his career and it was against main-event Cowboy who was coming off like 20 losses. Till's 3 fights before that were decisions and draws against nobody, and in one of them Till missed weight by 6 fucking lbs.

And all fights before that and you can't even wikipedia his opponents

Till is so overhyped. He can't wrestle worth a shit either

Till is so overhyped. He can't wrestle worth a shit either

I completely agree with you right now. I'm expecting Wonderboy to win, and I've put some money down on WB as well. However, it's always possible for fighters to put it all together. The one thing I will say, is that Darren Till has looked better every time I've seen him fight.

But I'll disagree with you: If Darren Till beats Wonderboy, then he will deserve the next title shot after RDA/Covington. And if Till wins, and Woodley fights @ UFC 225, then there's really no other logical opponent other than Darren Till.

Maybe he’s realizing that actually fighting and helping the division move forward is only way to get a money fight. Fight everyone Woodley just fucking fight.

I highly doubt Woodley is avoiding Colby, or RDA... it is moreso the fights aren't $$$. Woodley beats both easily IMO, and outside of them there is no one else in the division on top

He clearly still wants a $$ fight, and at this point, he deserves it

He does not deserve it. How does he deserve it, exactly? The only person in the UFC that "deserves" a money fight is Demetrious Johnson. That's it. Woodley needs to clean out his division before he deserves a money fight.

If Darren Till is for real and beats Wonderboy, then Woodley would be 100% obligated to fight him at UFC 227...
Not so sure about that one. Being that WB/Till and Colby/RDA are coming up soon, either of those fights can end up with the winners receiving a 6 month suspension due to injury which would put few things on hold. Also take into account that Usman just beat Maia and is ranked higher than Till is now. If Till beats WB, I can see him fighting Usman for the next #1 contender fight unless he puts a massive beating on Thompson.

Maybe he’s realizing that actually fighting and helping the division move forward is only way to get a money fight. Fight everyone Woodley just fucking fight.

I think this was planned. Tyron claimed he offered to fight RDA in June/July, but RDA seemed genuinely confused when Tyron posted this on Twitter. RDA would 100% wait for June/July to fight Woodley if that bout agreement was firm. The only reason RDA would move on with the interim title is if Woodley was refusing to commit.

I think Woodley knew that if he just dragged his feet, eventually RDA would take another fight. At that point he can swoop in and schedule a fight of his own before RDA's fight is even complete. That way he can avoid RDA without bad optics.

Not so sure about that one. Being that WB/Till and Colby/RDA are coming up soon, either of those fights can end up with the winners receiving a 6 month suspension due to injury which would put few things on hold. Also take into account that Usman just beat Maia and is ranked higher than Till is now. If Till beats WB, I can see him fighting Usman for the next #1 contender fight unless he puts a massive beating on Thompson.

That's of course a really good point. If both the Till-WB and RDA-Colby winners are unable to compete for 4-6 months, then Woodley would have to fight Usman. And that's a real shame, the champion going after the #10 ranked WW in the world. Usman has a lot of potential, but he's still 1-2 years away from his prime.

best way to duck is to go on Joe Rogan's podcast and explain that you are, in fact, not ducking

And that's a real shame, the champion going after the #10 ranked WW in the world.
Usman isn't ranked #10, he's #5 right now. Ponz is #10 and he definitely isn't getting a crack at Woodley.

You mean like a champion vs champion fight that's already been proposed?

I've discussed this at length -- the proposed bouts were insufficient.

#1 - TJ would NEVER make 125. TJ was trying to hand MM a loss -- he would be "accidentally overweight" at ~130 pounds, and then MM is forced to accept a 130 pound catchweight fight. But TJ would have cut down from 150 to 130, having targeted that weight to begin with. Now MM is backed into a corner, fighting at a clear disadvantage. He cares about his win streak.

#2 - This is proven because MM accepted this fight in principle, with the condition that TJ is guaranteed to make weight. In other words, if TJ didn't make the 125 championship weight, MM would get his show + win money and the bout is cancelled. The UFC wouldn't accept this, because they KNEW that TJ was highly likely to miss weight.

#3 - MM would probably fight TJ at 135 if the UFC payed him $3-4 million. That way the fight would be about the greatest UFC champion going up in weight, and not TJ trying to come down and bully MM. But the UFC won't do this.

Woodley should just fuck off and wait until RDA gets ready to fight him, enough of his bullshit, this idiot doesn't deserve anything, his last 3 fights were boring asf and he got a undeserved titleshot after waiting without fighting for 18 months, if he fights ANYONE other than RDA (after he runs through the snitch), UFC is a joke.

Back