The new way to duck top contenders?

tyron hasnt ducked anyone. he has tryed to fight larger ppv matches so he can make more money. but hes never ducked a contender, or the ufc hasnt let him

Woodley should just fuck off and wait until RDA gets ready to fight him, enough of his bullshit, this idiot doesn't deserve anything, his last 3 fights were boring asf and he got a undeserved titleshot after waiting without fighting for 18 months, if he fights ANYONE other than RDA (after he runs through the snitch), UFC is a joke.

100% agreed -- although obviously RDA could lose, in which case Covington would be the rightful contender. But either way, Woodley chose to delay his surgery by almost 6 months -- that's his own fault. He should be forced to wait and fight the RDA-Covington winner.

Woodley should just fuck off and wait until RDA gets ready to fight him, enough of his bullshit, this idiot doesn't deserve anything, his last 3 fights were boring asf and he got a undeserved titleshot after waiting without fighting for 18 months, if he fights ANYONE other than RDA (after he runs through the snitch), UFC is a joke.
lol @ your sig & av

Nobody is avoiding Covington.

What is there to avoid about him?

Pretty good wrestling. No power. No submissions. Bad striking.

He hasn’t beaten anyone outside of an old empty gas tank Maia

no power and no submissions ? lol more than half of his wins are by finish.... he also beat the guy that sub'd Kamaru Usman

I love sherdog armchair qb's

tyron hasnt ducked anyone. he has tryed to fight larger ppv matches so he can make more money. but hes never ducked a contender, or the ufc hasnt let him

That's the point in my post. The UFC hasn't let him duck contenders, so he's finding a loophole. Tyron could put some legal pressure on the UFC to give him a slot on the UFC 227 PPV card, in which he will likely not fight Till, WB, RDA, and Covington. He's basically avoiding the top 3 contenders in the WW division by making this move.

I just hope it backfires.

Edit: Till isn't ranked as highly as I thought -- some rankings have him below Usman.

Right now Tyron Woodley is pushing hard for a fight on the August UFC 227 card: https://www.lowkickmma.com/tyron-woodley-eyeing-return-at-upcoming-ufc-ppv/ This is just strange, because he's asking for an opponent right now, and demanding that specific card. I mean, why can't he wait 1 or 2 months more?

I honestly think this is an attempt to avoid fighting the #1 contender -- which will be the RDA-Covington winner at UFC 225, which is just 8 weeks earlier. It would be pretty much impossible for one of them to make it to UFC 227, partially because Woodley is asking for an opponent now. The UFC can't schedule either RDA or Covington to fight until that bout is concluded.

Right now Tyron is just trying to take easier fights, but that could backfire. If Darren Till is for real and beats Wonderboy, then Woodley would be 100% obligated to fight him at UFC 227...
The ducks are evolving...

Usman isn't ranked #10, he's #5 right now. Ponz is #10 and he definitely isn't getting a crack at Woodley.

I just noticed that you're right -- Usman is #5 in the UFC and #6 in the world (below Rory MacDonald & Covington). I didn't realize he was ranked so highly. I'm not sure I agree with that. I think Usman is more over-hyped that Darren Till.

Either way, Woodley should only be fighting the RDA-Covington winner, that's it.

I've discussed this at length -- the proposed bouts were insufficient.

#1 - TJ would NEVER make 125. TJ was trying to hand MM a loss -- he would be "accidentally overweight" at ~130 pounds, and then MM is forced to accept a 130 pound catchweight fight. But TJ would have cut down from 150 to 130, having targeted that weight to begin with. Now MM is backed into a corner, fighting at a clear disadvantage. He cares about his win streak.

#2 - This is proven because MM accepted this fight in principle, with the condition that TJ is guaranteed to make weight. In other words, if TJ didn't make the 125 championship weight, MM would get his show + win money and the bout is cancelled. The UFC wouldn't accept this, because they KNEW that TJ was highly likely to miss weight.

#3 - MM would probably fight TJ at 135 if the UFC payed him $3-4 million. That way the fight would be about the greatest UFC champion going up in weight, and not TJ trying to come down and bully MM. But the UFC won't do this.
Tiny details, tiny excuses, tiny man...

Agreed. New way to duck is to try and get a fight when you know top competition is busy.

Agreed. New way to duck is to try and get a fight when you know top competition is busy.

For real. It's much more difficult for a champion to avoid an obvious top contender. Woodley found this out with Wonderboy x2 and Maia. Now he's realized that he can be "injured" until they schedule a fight, then do a mad push for another fight while they're unavailable.

As much as I don't like it, it's a smart way to duck fights, because most people won't even realize you're doing it.

I didn't realize he was ranked so highly. I'm not sure I agree with that. I think Usman is more over-hyped that Darren Till.
Covington is 13-1 with his sole loss coming in the UFC. Usman is also 13-1 but hasn't lost in the UFC. Covingtons only loss came from a guy that Usman beat. Colby got an interim title shot for beating a highly ranked Maia. Usman just beat a highly ranked Maia. Is Usman overrated? Because if he is, so is Colby.

Right now Tyron Woodley is pushing hard for a fight on the August UFC 227 card: https://www.lowkickmma.com/tyron-woodley-eyeing-return-at-upcoming-ufc-ppv/ This is just strange, because he's asking for an opponent right now, and demanding that specific card. I mean, why can't he wait 1 or 2 months more?

I honestly think this is an attempt to avoid fighting the #1 contender -- which will be the RDA-Covington winner at UFC 225, which is just 8 weeks earlier. It would be pretty much impossible for one of them to make it to UFC 227, partially because Woodley is asking for an opponent now. The UFC can't schedule either RDA or Covington to fight until that bout is concluded.

Right now Tyron is just trying to take easier fights, but that could backfire. If Darren Till is for real and beats Wonderboy, then Woodley would be 100% obligated to fight him at UFC 227...

Is it just me or do you start feeling like fighters never fight when they take nearly a year off in between fights?

I feel like I haven't seen Woodley fight in years, but he's actually fought 5 times in the last 3.25 years which isn't terrible.

Oh, and to top it off, Fuck Tyron Woodley.

Is it just me or do you start feeling like fighters never fight when they take nearly a year off in between fights?

I feel like I haven't seen Woodley fight in years, but he's actually fought 5 times in the last 3.25 years which isn't terrible.

Oh, and to top it off, Fuck Tyron Woodley.

You can't include a fight that happens at the beginning of a time period. He's only fought 4 times in the last 3.25 years. But he has fought 6 times in the last ~4 years (he fought MacDonald and Kim just 2 months apart).

But I agree with your dislike of Woodley. And even 6 fights in the last 4 years isn't great. Fighters should be fighting at least 2x a year. That means Woodley should have fought 8x in the last 4 years, but he only has 6 fights in that period.

I don't care for Woodley, but this is true. Should he get a $$$ match, not yet. Conor, GSP, or Khabib would be that, but RDA/Colby winner first. Possibly Till/WB winner. Maybe not WB though because of how the fights were lackluster and they fought twice, so maybe a new fresh match up. Lawler needs a win or two to get back to a TS.

Except according to Woodley he asked for the fight before they set up RDA v. Colby.

since when did rda and Colby become hall of famers. you must be new to mma the biggest factor in making fights is timing. Woodley is ready to come back and 227 is the first place he might be able to get put on since he a champ.

Woodley was gone be fighting gsp after maia so how can you call him a ducker. Woodley defended a belt 3 times in a year when the real ducker conor never did it in 2 years,

What makes it worse is that if Woodley is willing and able to fight in a couple of months then why are they having an interim title fight?

Back