The Mist - New adaptation on Spike (UPDATE: Show is canceled)

Frankly, I wouldn't expect the writing to get much better. I suspect that at this point we know what the show is and the level that it's operating on and viewers either have to roll with that and enjoy it or move on. But who knows, maybe S2 will come along and be an improvement.

I'll probably do that. I already have it downloaded and even started it at one point but turned if off about 10 minutes in because I figured I should finish this season first.

The shows seems to be doing its own thing anyway.

Yeah I can't see how the movie would ruin anything. Well other than saying the mist came from X because Arrowhead did X. Honestly I think that is as simple and brief as it's explained in the movie. But probably just wait to be safe.

Interesting finale, pretty good. Definitely had a twist I wasn't expecting. Idk the show is weird for me, I don't love it but I find myself wanting to watch it. I'd be interested in another season.

I still hope writing and character interactions get better. The interactions just seem really unnatural.

Interesting. I'll have to watch the movie soon then.

I will probably get to the finale either tonight or tomorrow and then I'll chime back in.

I recently watched, the arrowhead info is very brief, not really any break down or details. So you will know where the Mist came from, at least in the movie but who knows the show may go a different story.

Just watched the last two episodes. Much better overall. Some legit creepy stuff.

Old lady's one was just disturbing as hell.

Seriously watch the movie, its a totally different type of Mist. Its full of creatures and they don't really spoil anything for the show.

Interesting. I'll have to watch the movie soon then.

I will probably get to the finale either tonight or tomorrow and then I'll chime back in.

The movie is actually great until the last 2 minutes. Until then it's a fantastic adaptation of one of Kings best stories.

I forget which episode I'm in but it's the one that just revealed whether or not who was the rapist. It was an interesting development, but ultimately not worth the crap you have to sit through to get there. More than that it's an "out of thin air" twist that has no reason to suspect it.

I'll probably finish the season but out of some form of dedication to the novella, one of my all time favorite reads. Not because of the quality of the show. I have no idea why I do that sometimes.

Am I wrong for thinking that the crazy old lady is hot?

Am I wrong for thinking that the crazy old lady is hot?

Colin_Farrel-Disgusted.gif

Interesting finale, pretty good. Definitely had a twist I wasn't expecting. Idk the show is weird for me, I don't love it but I find myself wanting to watch it. I'd be interested in another season.

I still hope writing and character interactions get better. The interactions just seem really unnatural.

All right, I just got to the finale. I thought it was pretty good, though my one real gripe is that the specific moment that it ends on doesn't really feel like the end of a season to me. It just feels like the end of a regular mid-season episode. But that aside, I thought it was pretty good. Definitely better than episode 9.

I'm glad to see that the truth about Adrian has finally come out, because it was just painful to watch Eve keep being a bitch to Jay after we knew definitively that Jay was innocent. Though I felt like the reveal that the cop guy was actually Alex's father to be a bit hokey. I mean, I think I remember them setting it up earlier in the show that Kevin's not actually her dad, but still, I didn't love that plot development.

Bryan has finally found his path to answers about who he is, so that is also good.

I wonder if Jay is dead for real. If so, that kid really got a raw deal. He gets accused of raping a girl he didn't actually rape, then his own father casts him out to die, and then he gets captured and fucked up by the mist. That is rough.

I felt like the scene where Kevin crashes the SUV through the mall door and everyone dies to be pretty well done--the skeleton effect when the old woman dies was especially creepy--but I also felt like that seemed kind of out of character for him. I mean, I get it, the people in the mall just cast him and his family out so he's probably feeling pretty vengeful but . . . I dunno, that moment just didn't totally ring true for me.

All in all, I ended up really enjoying this show and thought that, for the most part, it got better as the season progressed. I'd give it a 7.5 and I'm really hoping that it gets renewed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just watched the last two episodes. Much better overall. Some legit creepy stuff.

Old lady's one was just disturbing as hell.

Seriously watch the movie, its a totally different type of Mist. Its full of creatures and they don't really spoil anything for the show.

Having seen the full season now, what's your final verdict on the show?

I forget which episode I'm in but it's the one that just revealed whether or not who was the rapist. It was an interesting development, but ultimately not worth the crap you have to sit through to get there. More than that it's an "out of thin air" twist that has no reason to suspect it.

As I think was mentioned earlier ITT, during the scene way back at the beginning of the season where he was in the police station he acted weirdly, and we have to remember that the whole rape charge was based upon his testimony and no one else's. I always thought it was at least possible that his testimony was untrue, though I never really expected that he would be the rapist. Instead, I thought it might be a case where he really did see who did it but he decided to blame it on Jay.

Having seen the full season now, what's your final verdict on the show?

Probably a 6/10.

It had a great premise, flashes of potential but just overall didn't deliver for me.

The acting was overall pretty bad, character development had huge holes in it with people just becoming homicidal sociopaths out of nowhere and characters who just were morons.

I was not a fan of the Mist itself, having watched the movie version and been expecting something along those lines. I did not like that it was supernatural and could liquid people, turn them to skeletons, etc but was blocked by an interior house door.

That all said the finale and direction they are going with Arrowhead Base and the military gives me hope for season two. Not to mention a bunch of the shit characters got killed.

Probably a 6/10.

It had a great premise, flashes of potential but just overall didn't deliver for me.

The acting was overall pretty bad, character development had huge holes in it with people just becoming homicidal sociopaths out of nowhere and characters who just were morons.

I was not a fan of the Mist itself, having watched the movie version and been expecting something along those lines. I did not like that it was supernatural and could liquid people, turn them to skeletons, etc but was blocked by an interior house door.

That all said the finale and direction they are going with Arrowhead Base and the military gives me hope for season two. Not to mention a bunch of the shit characters got killed.

You're not the first to criticize the acting but I really did not think it was bad. Maybe some of the minor characters, but I thought all our major players did a pretty good job. Acting is hard, so not everyone will be Daniel Day Lewis.

As for the mist itself, I could see either perspective, but I really did like the supernatural take on it in the show. The creatures in the movie are definitely super-creepy, but I like the more spooky direction the show takes over the creepy, but ultimately biological, creatures of the film.

In any case, I've got my eyes peeled for a renewal notice, but I don't think it's in any way guaranteed or should probably even be expected. I know immediately after it ended its Spike run the show hit Netflix in several countries (not the US), so my guess is Spike wants to see if the show can quickly pick up some more fans before making a decision on whether or not to renew it.

Well shit, that's kind of gay. I was looking forward to Season 2.

The Mist has lifted. Spike confirmed to Deadline that it has canceled its horror series based on a novella by Stephen King from the early 1980s after one season.

The Mist, which marked Spike’s first original scripted series, was leftover from the old regime and programming strategy at the network, which will be rebranded as Paramount Network in January. Asked in March whether The Mist could continue on the Paramount Network, Kevin Kay, president of Spike/Paramount Network, TV Land and CMT, said, “in success, if this season on Spike goes well, we would pick it up for next year, and Season 2 will be on Paramount. We think it’s got a lot of potential.”

Upcoming scripted series on Paramount Network include American Woman, Heathers and Waco.

Attn: @Harbour @dawnignited @Protectandserve @RerouteToRemain @GordoBarraBJJ @GSP_37 @Bob Gray @Strychnine

I was just about to start this too. Well that frees up a few hours for me...

Back