The Last of Us: Part II (Release: 29.05.2020) - No spoilers

Are you excited for The Last of Us Part II?

• Yes, I'm excited.

• No, I'm not.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
what are you talking about? Reviews for Anthem were shit

They were average to good, from I remember, which is way more generous than it deserved. Not only was it boring, but it was clearly incomplete, and most critics still gave it a pass. Scores like that is how you can tell critics are being somewhat manipulated. That game was a pile of shit, that could potentially brick your system, and they knew it. 7/10....riiiiight....

They were average to good, from I remember, which is way more generous than it deserved. Not only was it boring, but it was clearly incomplete, and most critics still gave it a pass. Scores like that is how you can tell critics are being somewhat manipulated. That game was a pile of shit, that could potentially brick your system, and they knew it. 7/10....riiiiight....

No it was appropriate (at the time of release) IMO. On the outside if you didn't play it (and in retrospect now knowing what we know) then yes it's complete shit. If you read the reviews a lot of them mention about how they are expecting more in the future (just like how Destiny was released barebones and then eventually became awesome once the first raid dropped). The foundation (built on the gameplay) is excellent. It was the package that needed improvement - an unfinished product. But as a looter shooter it showed a lot of promise - a game that was supposed to be improved and played for several years just like Destiny. It was graded on that promise.

I truly enjoyed how it played and it just needed a bunch of Quality of Life improvements and more content. At the time of release we were expecting several patches, updates, more raids,etc... They never delivered on the goods hence why the game community collapsed. Silly things like the rate of exotic drops for example. They simply couldn't fix this properly. I was raiding for two weeks straight and I wouldn't even sniff the hint of an exotic. Something as simple as adjusting the loot table they couldn't properly do.

Once you added up all the issues together that remained unresolved and the fact that their road map was an empty promise of BS because it turned out they rushed this game out 6-12 months before they should have done it then it deserved an adjusted score of shit (3 or 4/10).

Last edited:
Now looking like I won’t have time to buy and play the game. Ah well.

No it was appropriate (at the time of release) IMO. On the outside if you didn't play it (and in retrospect now knowing what we know) then yes it's complete shit. If you read the reviews a lot of them mention about how they are expecting more in the future (just like how Destiny was released barebones and then eventually became awesome once the first raid dropped). The foundation (built on the gameplay) is excellent. It was the package that needed improvement - an unfinished product. But as a looter shooter it showed a lot of promise - a game that was supposed to be improved and played for several years just like Destiny. It was graded on that promise.

I truly enjoyed how it played and it just needed a bunch of Quality of Life improvements and more content. At the time of release we were expecting several patches, updates, more raids,etc... They never delivered on the goods hence why the game community collapsed. Silly things like the rate of exotic drops for example. They simply couldn't fix this properly. I was raiding for two weeks straight and I wouldn't even sniff the hint of an exotic. Something as simple as adjusting the loot table they couldn't properly do.

Once you added up all the issues together that remained unresolved and the fact that their road map was an empty promise of BS because it turned out they rushed this game out 6-12 months before they should have done it then it deserved an adjusted score of shit (3 or 4/10).

Well, I won't argue with personal opinion. If you liked it, I can't argue with that.

I will however disagree with "graded" reviews, like it's okay to give out positive reviews on "potential". Reviews should reflect the product as is, and if they can't do that without disclaimers for future content, they shouldn't review it.

It would be like reviewing unfinished films:

"Well, what I saw looked like shit, but it will probably be better when it's actually finished"

If it's not finished, it shouldn't be out there. Additional DLC packs do not apply. I know what I'm getting with a base level "Borderlands" purchase. I don't know what I'm getting with these more pure online centric games at launch. They should at least stay in Beta, if they're going to do that.

Well, I won't argue with personal opinion. If you liked it, I can't argue with that.

I will however disagree with "graded" reviews, like it's okay to give out positive reviews on "potential". Reviews should reflect the product as is, and if they can't do that without disclaimers for future content, they shouldn't review it.

It would be like reviewing unfinished films:

"Well, what I saw looked like shit, but it will probably be better when it's actually finished"

If it's not finished, it shouldn't be out there. Additional DLC packs do not apply. I know what I'm getting with a base level "Borderlands" purchase. I don't know what I'm getting with these more pure online centric games at launch. They should at least stay in Beta, if they're going to do that.

No those are not exactly the same. Not all games are built for the same purpose. Comparing that to a film is silly at best. If anything it would be more like a tv series. They come out with a season of episodes and if its good they keep on going. If it's complete shit then it gets canned (sometimes midseason). But the story start out slow or even shitty at the beginning but after a few episodes things get fleshed out and the show becomes good. If the story is the game then you may have a comparison.

Destiny, The Division, and Anthem are different because the creators are trying to build a online role-playing open world that evolves over time. If you are playing for the single player game then you got a campaign that was average at best and would be graded as 5/10 IMO. The Division and Destiny campaigns were alright also (5-7 graded at best). Nothing to scream about. But what Anthem was trying to create is more than a single player campaign. It's way more complex because they have to deal with maintaining an online ecosystem.

Anthem was rated as average to above average which was correct at the time because everyone was expecting the game to improve like Destiny. Destiny had tons of issues upon launch but the gameplay and visuals were excellent and they slowly fixed bugs after bugs, and added tons of content that turned it into one of the best games I've ever played. I mean people were pissed with Destiny at the beginning. You would get an exotic drop, open it and get a blue regular item which would piss off EVERYONE. it was complete shit. The grind was crazy bad and everyone was wondering what this game was trying to do. Then the first raid dropped and people were like.. oh shit.. we get it. Had Bungie not made updates, fixed these bugs and then added that first amazing raid gamers would have abandoned Destiny as well.

Everyone was expecting the exact same thing with Anthem because that is what BioWare claimed with their roadmap. Honestly I am really surprised they could not fix a few things that might have kept the game floating. Just fixing the loot table might have allowed me to stay and play the game for another month or two because the combat and flight controls were top notch. But they couldn't even fix that so I lost interest in grinding for nothing.

These types of games are different and should be graded differently. I understand all those scores because that's exactly how I felt about the game. It was graded with potential. I will grant you that Anthem took it to the extreme and came out with tons of bugs and features that were half-assed or rushed. It didn't help that they were forced to lie under all the pressure from EA but that's a deeper story. We (the critics, myself and others) were bamboozled.

Last edited:
No those are not exactly the same. Not all games are built for the same purpose. Comparing that to a film is silly at best. If anything it would be more like a tv series. They come out with a season of episodes and if its good they keep on going. If it's complete shit then it gets canned (sometimes midseason). But the story start out slow or even shitty at the beginning but after a few episodes things get fleshed out and the show becomes good. If the story is the game then you may have a comparison.

Destiny, The Division, and Anthem are different because the creators are trying to build a online role-playing open world that develops over time. If you are playing for the single player game then you got a campaign that was average at best and would be graded as 5/10 at best - Division and the Destiny campaign were alright also. Nothing to scream about. But what Anthem was trying to create is a Destiny like game. It's way more complex because they have to deal with maintaining an online ecosystem.

Anthem was rated as average to above average which was correct at the time because everyone was expecting the game to improve like Destiny. Destiny had tons of issues upon launch but the gameplay and visuals were excellent and they slowly fixed bugs after bugs, and added tons of content that turned it into one of the best games I've ever played. I mean people were pissed with Destiny at the beginning. You would get an exotic drop, open it and get a blue regular item which would piss off EVERYONE. it was complete shit. The grind was crazy bad and everyone were wondering what this game was trying to do. Then the first raid dropped and people were like.. oh shit.. we get it. Had Bungie not fixed made updates, fixed these bugs and then added that first amazing raid gamers would have abandoned Destiny as well.

Everyone was expecting the exact same thing because that is what BioWare claimed with their roadmap. Honestly I am really surprised they could fix a few things that might have kept that going. Just fixing the loot table might have allowed me to stay and play the game for another month or two because the combat and flight controls were top notch. But they couldn't even fix that so I lost interest in grinding for nothing.

These types of games are different and were graded differently. I understand all those scores because that's exactly how I felt about the game. It was graded with potential...

I'll get back to you, when I'm not about to pass out.

It's understandable. Many people have little faith in mainstream games journalists and look to independant sources for reviews. I favour places like steam for info on a game's positives and negatives. It can be abused but takes more effort to do so than places like metacritic so i consider it much more reliable in comparison.

Yeah I agree. Just seems like with this game people are trying extra hard to find bad reviews.

Good ebb in discussion to move house, fellas -- here. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back