The Last of Us: Part II (Release: 29.05.2020) - No spoilers

Are you excited for The Last of Us Part II?

• Yes, I'm excited.

• No, I'm not.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nah, she was just going to die if they operated.

I hope we get to play the other side, pursuing Ellie and Joel in order to find the cure for the world so that it gives another dimension to the initial story and a different viewpoint where somebody like Joel is seen as the bad guy, painting the whole thing of grey areas.

Nah, she was just going to die if they operated.

Oh wow I always thought she was going to die no matter what. Well that's good can't wait to see how they expand the story. Maybe Ellie having her first kid and old man joel being the god father. All missions being played with Ellie and during the story you get flashbacks of what happened during all that time. Ellies kid being the first to be born immune to the virus.

I thought the doctors said Ellie was going to die from the thing in her brain?

Nope don't remember anything like that. Just that she wouldn't survive the operation of extracting the thing in her brain which would lead to a cure. Her body had already adapted to having the infection.

Nope don't remember anything like that. Just that she wouldn't survive the operation of extracting the thing in her brain which would lead to a cure. Her body had already adapted to having the infection.

Yea looks like I was wrong about that. Which is good makes there ability to continue the story much more open.

Yea looks like I was wrong about that. Which is good makes there ability to continue the story much more open.

You never know though, they might choose to not even make it about Joel and Ellie. In a world like that there is countless story potential for different characters to be going through their own struggles. I think what would also be cool is if you play as completely different characters, but at some point you cross paths with Joel and Ellie, after the events of the first game.

You never know though, they might choose to not even make it about Joel and Ellie. In a world like that there is countless story potential for different characters to be going through their own struggles. I think what would also be cool is if you play as completely different characters, but at some point you cross paths with Joel and Ellie, after the events of the first game.

I wouldn't like that at all. I hate being in the same world but changing characters. I've already invested my time in Joel and Ellie I want to see where the story goes.

If we have a sequel I'd like to either play as Joel and Ellie again, or:

-Have the player control Tommy instead. The story could start after Joel and Ellie get back to the dam. There's a Firefly ambush to get revenge/get Ellie again and Joel is killed in the process. Before he dies he tells Tommy what he did. Or doesn't and Tommy finds out throughout the game

-A new set of characters who cross paths with Joel and Ellie at some point.

Overall, the first game was simply amazing, so i would love another go.

Given the huge success of the first game, this isn't surprising.

Only question is if it'll continue the story of Joel and Ellie. It ended on a perfect note, being ambiguous, I'm actually hoping they don't.
Huh? It didn't end on an ambiguous note. Nothing about the resolution of their narrative (or what was imminent) was ambiguous.

The ambiguity was of an introspective or philosophical nature.

I am really apprehensive about this. Stories like that of Joel and Ellie's don't lend themselves to sequels. It was a story perfectly told with a definite beginning, and a definite end.

We need to get over this sequel fetish we have adopted culturally the past several decades.

I am really apprehensive about this. Stories like that of Joel and Ellie's don't lend themselves to sequels. It was a story perfectly told with a definite beginning, and a definite end.

We need to get over this sequel fetish we have adopted culturally the past several decades.

I recall Naughty Dog saying something along the lines of if they did ever do a second TLOU, it wouldn't feature Joel and Ellie as their story was done. Could be BS, or they could have changed their minds.

However agreeing with what you said earlier, J&E's story was concluded wonderfully and doesn't need a second game. That doesn't mean that we can't keep exploring the world of TLOU as different or new characters. J&E don't have to be directly involved, but could make an appearance.

I've said it before, but I would nominate Tommy as the best next playable character. Possibilites:

-Joel and Tommy's struggle to survive after Sara died and before they split
-Tommy joining the Fireflies and his time with them
-Forming the dam community
-Hypothetical: story starts off after the events of the first game. Everyone is living a semi peaceful life at the dam community. The Fireflies send some men out for retribution for Joel's massacre and to get Ellie again. They attack the dam and all hell breaks loose. Joel is mortally wounded in the chaos. Ellie is taken. Before he dies he tells Tommy what he did there and what the Fireflies will do to Ellie. Or he doesn't and Tommy finds out through others as he goes to try and find her. His wife Maria could be the accompanying character.

the developers have stated, several times, that Joel and Ellie's story is done.

there was even a special closed doors performance months back with the actors, it had something to do with tommy trying to get joel to date a new lady, and ellie learning to play guitar Joel gave her.

Bruckmann said it was a way of "saying goodbye to the characters."

There will be a Last of us 2. I love the world they created and i really hope there are some small connections to the first game, even something small like a mention of guy named Ish or Bill or something.

but i want it totally seperate

Huh? It didn't end on an ambiguous note. Nothing about the resolution of their narrative (or what was imminent) was ambiguous.

The ambiguity was of an introspective or philosophical nature.

It's ambiguous because Ellie could believe Joel, not believe him, or think he!s lying but go along with it anyway.

She knew he was lying and went along with it.

I thought they did a great job conveying that.

She knew he was lying and went along with it.

I thought they did a great job conveying that.

That's the thing, there's different opinions of that, which is one of the reasons why it's such a great ending.

Whether or not Ellie knows if Joel is lying isn't what is important about that ending. You know that he is lying. That's what is important, and that's why there isn't any ambiguity. Joel ended our species.

The philosophical ambiguity is this: was Joel an evil man, or not?

Whether or not Ellie knows if Joel is lying isn't what is important about that ending. You know that he is lying. That's what is important, and that's why there isn't any ambiguity.

The ambiguity is what Ellie would do afterward. Would she attempt to make contact with the fireflies to complete the surgery? Stay there at Joel's brother's outpost and life a long and healthy life?

Joel ended our species.

There was ALOT of discussion about this when the game was released, and then rereleased on the PS4.

In-short, it all depends if you believe Marlene's story that the surgery and Ellie's sacrifice is guaranteed to be used to make a cure. If you take this at face value, then yes, Joel's actions severely marginalize the human's future population expansion on the planet. I doubt eventual extinction is likely, because the events of Last Of Us take place 20 years after the initial outbreak, and there's still survivors and children are still being born.

However, I think Marlene was bullshitting Joel, telling him what he wanted to hear, or what she has to tell herself, to justify ending the life of a little girl for the chance of a cure. A chance.

Just look at the hospital that the last level of the game takes place. There's doctors, not any scientists, or a lab, or the means to transport the extracted and valuable tissue from Ellie to a lab. Even then, there's no documented cure for the insect strand of Cordyceps (the real-life version of the infection in The Last of Us).

And keep in mind, in reality, hundreds of millions of dollars are dedicated to cancer research for a cure, and many other diseases and sicknesses with no previous cures. Some treatments have been discovered, and very few cures.

But this is a videogame, not reality. So, it all depends if you believe Marlene's words. I, personally, don't believe her, and even if she believes it, I don't believe they have the means to synthesize a likely cure. There's merely a chance.

Whether or not Ellie knows if Joel is lying isn't what is important about that ending. You know that he is lying. That's what is important, and that's why there isn't any ambiguity. Joel ended our species.

It actually is pretty important. It's the culmination of the entire story of these two characters. Joel can't lose his daughter again and he dooms humanity to save himself.

Ellie knows he's full of shit but chooses to believe him. When she says that everyone she's ever cared about has left her except for him is the exact reason she goes along with it. She knows what he did and why he did it.

They needed each other, fuck everything else.

The ambiguity is what Ellie would do afterward. Would she attempt to make contact with the fireflies to complete the surgery? Stay there at Joel's brother's outpost and life a long and healthy life?

There was ALOT of discussion about this when the game was released, and then rereleased on the PS4.

In-short, it all depends if you believe Marlene's story that the surgery and Ellie's sacrifice is guaranteed to be used to make a cure. If you take this at face value, then yes, Joel's actions severely marginalize the human's future population expansion on the planet. I doubt eventual extinction is likely, because the events of Last Of Us take place 20 years after the initial outbreak, and there's still survivors and children are still being born.

However, I think Marlene was bullshitting Joel, telling him what he wanted to hear, or what she has to tell herself, to justify ending the life of a little girl for the chance of a cure. A chance.

Just look at the hospital that the last level of the game takes place. There's doctors, not any scientists, or a lab, or the means to transport the extracted and valuable tissue from Ellie to a lab. Even then, there's no documented cure for the insect strand of Cordyceps (the real-life version of the infection in The Last of Us).

And keep in mind, in reality, hundreds of millions of dollars are dedicated to cancer research for a cure, and many other diseases and sicknesses with no previous cures. Some treatments have been discovered, and very few cures.

But this is a videogame, not reality. So, it all depends if you believe Marlene's words. I, personally, don't believe her, and even if she believes it, I don't believe they have the means to synthesize a likely cure. There's merely a chance.

You missed the point. Listen to the recordings in the hospital. Ellie was the cure. Joel doomed humanity. No two ways about it.

The story is pretty simple and.straightforward. People keep trying to add more complexity to it when it's not there.

If you take away the fact that Ellie had the cure then you've rendered Joel's decision meaningless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back