The joys of wood chopping (Lumberjack bros GTFIH at once)

KBE6EKCTAH_CCP

The thin end of the wedge
@Steel
Reaction score
TL;DR : chopping wood makes you manly as fukc and might be the ultimate workout, is satisfying and fun and I will incorporate it into my lifestyle as much as I can.

******************************the long post****************************

I wanted to post this initially in the S&C sub, but I figured that the axe & forest & wrecking sh1t part would better fit the Berry, to attain a wider audience.

So I was on vacation at my in-laws who live in the country-side where I chopped wood as a work out.

Nothing serious (sorry, serious Lumberjacks, I am yet just a wannabee), just making little logs out of fallen (horizontal) trees and branches, say 20 cm / 8 inches in diameter.

I did it like one hour every day for a week.

Pretty noticeable transformation for such a limited time : my wrists and especially forearms got wider, my upper abs got more defined, my chest got toned as did my shoulders, and my lats got bulkier.

Now I usually return a fat fuck from the in-laws, since we eat glorious foods there and drink fine wines, while not exercising, but this time I was rather surprised by the relatively positive aspect of my body and figured that I had lost some weight there for some reason.

To my horror, when I got on the scale yesterday I realised that I had gained 3 Kg / 7 pounds. The bottom line is that I hardly noticed it, due to the fact that the V-shapeness that I gained completely hid it.

The gains in movement efficiency are also impressive. I must have decreased the time needed to cut the same diameter log by a good half in like a week.

Anyways it's just too much fun so now I am going to find a spot in the country side around my city to go split wood, let them dry and bring them home to the wood stove that I am going to install.

So, lumberjack bros, how do you do it ? How much do you split ? What do you use ? etc. ?

Chopping wood won't stop the rage,

We need targets on the war we wage.

Something tells me that this thread won't go as expected....

I've done some wood splitting with an 8lb maul and wedges if needed. I loved it!

It's a tremendous workout and a great exercise for striking power.

I kinda wish I could go split wood right now.

These guys are incredible.

If you are a boxer or fighter, you should add this to your routine.

I made gloves with axe heads sewn on so I don't even need an axe I just put on my gloves and start karate chopping the shit out of trees. It's awesome.

These guys are incredible.

If you are a boxer or fighter, you should add this to your routine.

Yeah these dudes are insane. That discipline at around 30' where they need to chop their way up the pole is mad.

Also, they always chop like 2 cm away from their feet when they stand on the log. I always cringe lol.

There is a certain zen to it and it's something I really enjoy. Sometimes you hit the wood just right and the ax goes right through it like there was nothing there. I wish I had a fireplace as I would have the opportunity to do this all the time. Instead I have a gas insert. :(

I few years ago I had some big trees cut down on my property and I had the guys buck them up (cut into 1.5-2 foot rounds) and I split it all even though I had no where to use it. I wound up with like 5-6 cords and gave it to a neighbor's grandfather that used it to heat his house. When my grandfather died I found an old ax head in the basement that was probably his fathers or grandfathers. I bought a handle and used his old stone to sharpen it and that is what I used for most of the wood.

Grew up chopping and stacking wood for my stepfather because he was cheap and didnt want to pay the gas bill. For 5 years, in the winter, I had poison ivy. No matter how much I would dress up, poison ivy would find me.

There is a certain zen to it and it's something I really enjoy. Sometimes you hit the wood just right and the ax goes right through it like there was nothing there. I wish I had a fireplace as I would have the opportunity to do this all the time. Instead I have a gas insert. :(

I few years ago I had some big trees cut down on my property and I had the guys buck them up (cut into 1.5-2 foot rounds) and I split it all even though I had no where to use it. I wound up with like 5-6 cords and gave it to a neighbor's grandfather that used it to heat his house. When my grandfather died I found an old ax head in the basement that was probably his fathers or grandfathers. I bought a handle and used his old stone to sharpen it and that is what I used for most of the wood.

Awesome story about your axe head being passed down like 4 generations! Cherish that thing!

Also yeah, that pop in the wood when you have the perfect alignment. Cool feeling.

I've got a few of my granddad's old tools, so I know the feeling.

I've got a wood burning fireplace that I feed from a little wood lot my pops has out in the country. Probably process about 2 cords of wood a year. A lot of it is hickory wood , which has tons of heat value , but a real pain in the ass to split. Red or white oak splits like a dream compared to hickory.

Gable used to make the Iowa wrestling team cut wood during preseason and give a few cords to the AD.

Plus, there are videos of Joe Louis, Muhammad Ali, George Foreman, Mayweather, ODLH all chopping wood during training camp.

Oh, and

well not necessarily chopping wood but me and my friends are making a log cabin down in the woods near my house. using no power tools either. its 10x8 and about 6 ft tall , almost time to start putting a roof on it. also has a nice brick fire pit on the right side. cant wait to finish it and camp out in it during the winter! lumberjacks for the win

I use a splitter. Used to split by hand all the time, so much so that I can split both lefty and righty. But those days are over. I can't be bothered to stand up round after round in order to take whacks at them.

But I will do it for fun from time to time, especially if I have a bunch of clean cut Ash which comes apart nicely.

When I do, this is the axe I use, it works well (28"):

B0002YTO7E.jpg

Last edited:
Back