The joys of wood chopping (Lumberjack bros GTFIH at once)

I use a splitter. Used to split by hand all the time, so much so that I can split both lefty and righty. But those days are over. I can't be bothered to stand up round after round in order to take whacks at them.

But I will do it for fun from time to time, especially if I have a bunch of clean cut Ash which comes apart nicely.

When I do, this is the axe I use, it works well (28"):

B0002YTO7E.jpg

I bought this axe a few months ago for splitting wood splits for my BBQ smoker and it's a fucking god send compared to my old sledge axe. It just breeze through wood splits like butter!

And OP, hell yeah, I love splitting wood as it's a hell of a workout and I love the smell. I cook with mostly pecan wood and it smells so good when working with it. My cats love the smell as well... they AGGRESSIVELY rub all over and me and purr after I have been out splitting wood. I split a half cord in one afternoon for a BBQ competition and that WHOOPED my ass. haha

Get off your lazy rabbit ass and get some! You could start your own Crossfit alternative and start raking in the cash! haha

I have thought of that, actually. And am sure that this could be a commercial success. It is an absolutely awesome activity (that could become a trend) and city people don't have any access to it.

They pay you to come and chop your wood, which they can take back with them after. Of course, nobody does, which leaves you with a shit ton of wood from which you can extract value (say, sell the properly split firewood and just transform the rest into pellets or biomass which you can then sell).

The only caveat that I see is from a legal/insurance POW. Sooner than later some people will chop half of their foot off and sue you. Sure you can have them sign disclaimers but if the wrong person (read rich) looses a hand with his axe I can imagine that expensive lawyers would somehow demonstrate that you are liable.

I have thought of that, actually. And am sure that this could be a commercial success. It is an absolutely awesome activity (that could become a trend) and city people don't have any access to it.

They pay you to come and chop your wood, which they can take back with them after. Of course, nobody does, which leaves you with a shit ton of wood from which you can extract value (say, sell the properly split firewood and just transform the rest into pellets or biomass which you can then sell).

The only caveat that I see is from a legal/insurance POW. Sooner than later some people will chop half of their foot off and sue you. Sure you can have them sign disclaimers but if the wrong person (read rich) looses a hand with his axe I can imagine that expensive lawyers would somehow demonstrate that you are liable.

These are good points and especially about the liability. Most people are just too stupid to handle basic carving knives, so you can forget about axes.

When I was like 9 years old me and my 7 year old little brother lived out in the woods in Texas one Summer with jack shit to do. Our neighbor had a firewood business and was the coolest old dude you could imagine, he let us come over and chop wood for him all Summer, he would give us a couple of dollars every once in a while because we were seriously working our asses off. To us it was like a fun game though, we was some wood choppin sum'bitches boy, we fucking loved it. That shit changed our lives forever.

These are good points and especially about the liability. Most people are just too stupid to handle basic carving knives, so you can forget about axes.

ha ha a former colleague of mine chopped half of her finger off using an axe. She was holding the log with her left hand while chopping with the right. wtf.

Funny thing is, splitting logs can be very safe if you respect like 2 or 3 fundamental rules. But no, people prefer to shit the bed.

Back