THE CROW Reboot (First Trailer Released)

Meh

Crow does'nt feel like the Crow

OG Top Dollar murder everybody in this trailer

Sadness

That looks horrendous. He looks like a cholo dressing as the Joker for a lame Halloween party, and the story looks like something out of The Punisher, just a lame crime movie. Weak. I'll stick with Brandon Lee's tragically beautiful existential actioner over this emo John Wick wannabe.

1693090810917-gif.230570

Meh, damned if you do, damned if you don’t. If they had him looking like the exact Brandon Lee style Crow that we all find iconic, people would call it a pale imitation. Switch it up a little bit and people say it’s terrible and “not my Crow.”

At the very least, you have Skarsgard, a damn good actor in the lead. Brandon Lee was awesome in that film- charismatic, funny, intense, a very capable action/comic film hero. RIP. Very tragic scenario. Skarsgard is someone who is probably a good fit for this, if you feel compelled to do a reboot.

I’ll give it a watch. I don’t think anyone is expecting this to equal the original, but it doesn’t look that bad to me.

Meh, damned if you do, damned if you don’t. If they had him looking like the exact Brandon Lee style Crow that we all find iconic, people would call it a pale imitation. Switch it up a little bit and people say it’s terrible and “not my Crow.”

At the very least, you have Skarsgard, a damn good actor in the lead. Brandon Lee was awesome in that film- charismatic, funny, intense, a very capable action/comic film hero. RIP. Very tragic scenario. Skarsgard is someone who is probably a good fit for this, if you feel compelled to do a reboot.

I’ll give it a watch. I don’t think anyone is expecting this to equal the original, but it doesn’t look that bad to me.
I tend to agree. People just want the movie left alone and they will find something to complain about. It’s Leto’s Joker, it’s this, it’s emo, it’s woke, it’s something… I think this doesn’t look too bad.

Ten years ago or so, Luke Evans was gonna play the Crow. Here is him talking about.

Then they had Bradley Cooper(No joke lol) and then Jason Mamoa(That would’ve been a shitshow. He can’t act for a lick). I also think the lead of this movie is a good fit. I even dig that mini-accent he’s got.

I’m not gonna hate on a movie just because everybody is complaining about. I’ll give it a shot. And again, this is somebody who loved the original Crow.

Nah, just damned. Shouldn't have bothered.

At the very least, you have Skarsgard, a damn good actor in the lead.

Damn good? What's good about him? Name a good performance of his. He's become like Willem Dafoe to me, except Dafoe used to do good work. If you need a creepy old guy to be a weird character, preferably on an artsy-fartsy flick, Willem Dafoe is #1 on the speed dial. He's literally today's arthouse Sam Jackson, he's in fucking everything. Similarly, if you need a young creepy guy to paint his face up, this dude's now #1 on the speed dial. First it was It, which was also a horrendous remake of something iconic, and now it's The Crow.

Aside from you just being a good dude, do you honestly think that this doesn't look that bad? Just as a self-contained movie, it looks so derivative, a comic book type Punisher/John Wick shoot-em-up where he just happens to be a crow-powered zombie, all scored to cringey music. It looks a piece of shit on its own. Add the remake of a classic on top of it and it becomes an offensively bad piece of shit. It doesn't even look like there are versions of either the little girl character or the cop character. It's literally just a run of the mill revenge movie, and from the looks of it a really bad one at that.

The original can’t be touched. Brandon Lee, the four main villains, Jon Polito and some other supporting actors that made the film whole.

Nah, just damned. Shouldn't have bothered.

Damn good? What's good about him? Name a good performance of his. He's become like Willem Dafoe to me, except Dafoe used to do good work. If you need a creepy old guy to be a weird character, preferably on an artsy-fartsy flick, Willem Dafoe is #1 on the speed dial. He's literally today's arthouse Sam Jackson, he's in fucking everything. Similarly, if you need a young creepy guy to paint his face up, this dude's now #1 on the speed dial. First it was It, which was also a horrendous remake of something iconic, and now it's The Crow.

Aside from you just being a good dude, do you honestly think that this doesn't look that bad? Just as a self-contained movie, it looks so derivative, a comic book type Punisher/John Wick shoot-em-up where he just happens to be a crow-powered zombie, all scored to cringey music. It looks a piece of shit on its own. Add the remake of a classic on top of it and it becomes an offensively bad piece of shit. It doesn't even look like there are versions of either the little girl character or the cop character. It's literally just a run of the mill revenge movie, and from the looks of it a really bad one at that.

Well said, as always.

lol at the Dafoe comparison. I like Willem but well played. All the more funny since, as you said, this trailer does look like it's going for a John Wick vibe and both Dafoe and Skarsgard were part of the Wick universe (in the first and last film respectively).

I could probably revise "damn good" to good. I haven't seen enough of his work to really make too much of a judgment on it. That said, I thought he did very well in two films that I saw within the past year and a half or so. The first, Barbarian, a well-received horror film that I did not particularly like. He's in only a relatively short portion of the film, but I thought that section was the best and that the dynamic between him and the film's lead actress, Georgina Campbell, was the highlight of that segment. He did a solid job of playing his character, a musician who winds up at a double-booked Air B&B with Campbell, with an affability but a subtle air of menace that added to the ambiguity of that plot set up. Speaking of Wick, again, I thought he was easily one of the more memorable heels from that franchise. He played a condescending, narcissistic villain quite effectively.

Yeah, I didn't think it looked that bad but I do get the complaints. I think there are usually two sets of negative opinions when any relatively lackluster or outright bad trailer for a film that is based on the same source material as a much-loved movie comes out. There are those who are annoyed that the reboot/remake/relaunch exists at all. And there are those who would welcome the existence if it were good but are annoyed because it's not. I tend to think that remakes of good movies (and again because this is just another attempt at adapting source material that inspired the original movie and not remake per se, it's a bit different) are really unnecessary. But I also don't feel that a bad remake is going to somehow taint the original. Brandon Lee Crow is awesome and will continue to be awesome, regardless of the quality of this film.

I could probably revise "damn good" to good. I haven't seen enough of his work to really make too much of a judgment on it. That said, I thought he did very well in two films that I saw within the past year and a half or so. The first, Barbarian, a well-received horror film that I did not particularly like. He's in only a relatively short portion of the film, but I thought that section was the best and that the dynamic between him and the film's lead actress, Georgina Campbell, was the highlight of that segment. He did a solid job of playing his character, a musician who winds up at a double-booked Air B&B with Campbell, with an affability but a subtle air of menace that added to the ambiguity of that plot set up. Speaking of Wick, again, I thought he was easily one of the more memorable heels from that franchise. He played a condescending, narcissistic villain quite effectively.

Yeah, I didn't think it looked that bad but I do get the complaints. I think there are usually two sets of negative opinions when any relatively lackluster or outright bad trailer for a film that is based on the same source material as a much-loved movie comes out. There are those who are annoyed that the reboot/remake/relaunch exists at all. And there are those who would welcome the existence if it were good but are annoyed because it's not. I tend to think that remakes of good movies (and again because this is just another attempt at adapting source material that inspired the original movie and not remake per se, it's a bit different) are really unnecessary. But I also don't feel that a bad remake is going to somehow taint the original. Brandon Lee Crow is awesome and will continue to be awesome, regardless of the quality of this film.

Ah, I forgot about Barbarian. Not a good movie, and I don't know if I knew it was him when I watched it, but from your description I'm remembering liking that part and liking his acting. But this one looks rough and I don't think he's got the chops to change that.

@ufcfan4, I also forgot that Skarsgård's going to be in Robert Eggers' Nosferatu, as well. Seriously, you need to make a dude up into a creep and he's your man. And he's going to be in it with Dafoe!

@ufcfan4, I also forgot that Skarsgård's going to be in Robert Eggers' Nosferatu, as well. Seriously, you need to make a dude up into a creep and he's your man. And he's going to be in it with Dafoe!

Hahah.

Dafoe AND Skarsgard? (Kramer voice) It’s like the nexus of the universe!

Im also thinking of that scene in PCU that resolves the subplot where the guy is writing a thesis on how you can flip to a channel at any time of day and find a Gene Hackman or Michael Caine movie. Then he lands on A Bridge Too Far with both of them.

Dafoe and Skarsgard in a creepy movie together. This is your thesis, man!

Oh man and with Eggers at the helm, that’s going to be weird as hell.

Last edited:
Honestly it would probably be twice as good if he didnt look so stupid.

Overall, The Crow is a weird kind of time capsule movie that's more than just the sum of it's parts. It can be kind of hard to quite put your finger on exactly why it works. It's obviously got a charismatic lead who's death probably fueled some initial goodwill toward the movie. A stylish director with Proyas, who did this and Dark City back to back and seemed like he might really be a visionary director to watch. Had the goth angle to get everybody wearing black and looking gloomy, but at the same time had a gnarly 90's vigilante vibe.

I mean, I'll give this a try. A hyper violent supernatural vigilante movie might be worth a stream with this kind of budget. But it's got a very meh vibe.

I tend to agree. People just want the movie left alone and they will find something to complain about. It’s Leto’s Joker, it’s this, it’s emo, it’s woke, it’s something… I think this doesn’t look too bad.

Ten years ago or so, Luke Evans was gonna play the Crow. Here is him talking about.

Then they had Bradley Cooper(No joke lol) and then Jason Mamoa(That would’ve been a shitshow. He can’t act for a lick). I also think the lead of this movie is a good fit. I even dig that mini-accent he’s got.

I’m not gonna hate on a movie just because everybody is complaining about. I’ll give it a shot. And again, this is somebody who loved the original Crow.

It does feel a bit "middle aged men looking for a chance to vent at something".

The trailer tends to stick to plot and action so doesnt reveal a ton of the real style of the film but as you say I have more hope for this than the other Crow reboot attempts, good lead actor(good vIllian as well with Danny Huston), good director, again main uncertainty would be the script and whether Sanders will be allowed to show much flare, he is in the doghouse somewhat after Ghost in the Shell semi flopped.

The film being "only" $50 million budget though I think is probably a good thing, for one it means were getting R rated not PG-13 but hopefully also a bit more room for Sanders to push it a little.

Basically it could be bad but I think it has the potential to be pretty good unlike the previous reboot attempts.

That was right after the fast and furious movie I think. I was actually stoked when I heard that because Luke Evan’s is a pretty damn good actor

Yeah that definitely stuck with me from the trailer. Dude gets absolutely lit up, slumps over for a second then is back kicking ass right away. If it’s over used it’s gonna get repetitive quick and boring quickly.
Yeah, it was a lot more tastefully done in the original, to the point where it didn't cross over into parody territory. It's been quite a while, but I don't remember him shrugging off too many bullets in the first one. There's that scene where let's the guy shoots him in the hand and you see it heal, but I don't remember him getting shredded by machine guns and shrugging it off or anything. You gotta keep it a little grounded, or you'll rob the movie of any tension, and it'll just turn into emo Superman.

Back