The cognitive dissonance thread (logically consistent brahs, GTFIH)

mixmastermo

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
We all must know a few people who claim to stand for something then turn around and do something the directly contradicts those beliefs.

Does this kind of behavior help you determine how much you associate with someone?

Here's a some real example I've encountered recently.

A guy I know met his girlfriend on Tinder. They've been together for close to a year. He cheats. He goes to clubs with his boys and hooks up with other women. He finds other women to hook up with online. He would never let his girlfriend look at his phone.

They went to a spa to get massages- they got a couples package. She took her clothes off at the spa, he got really jealous. He dumped her because he believes she was too quick to get undressed in front of strangers. He's afraid she'd be unfaithful...

Cognitive dissonance is what keeps me from losing my shit and going on a massive killing rampage.

We all must know a few people who claim to stand for something then turn around and do something the directly contradicts those beliefs.

Does this kind of behavior help you determine how much you associate with someone?

A guy I know met his girlfriend on Tinder. They've been together for close to a year. He cheats. He goes to clubs with his boys and hooks up with other women. He finds other women to hook up with online. He would never let his girlfriend look at his phone.

They went to a spa to get massages- they got a couples package. She took her clothes off at the spa, he got really jealous. He dumped her because he believes she was too quick to get undressed in front of strangers. He's afraid she'd be unfaithful...

Lucky her from the sound of it.

Actually your example is logically consistent; he expects her to behave in the same manner he does and he can't deal with it.

That's not cognitive dissonance because that's not why he dumped her. He used that reason as an excuse for his action.

I actively shun all humans until they prove they arent a POS.

{<doc}

That guy is projecting hard as fuck because of his own personal failings. Low emotional IQ. Sad!

Also, to answer your first question, hypocrisy is one of my top levels for evaluating other humans.

It's really the only surefire policy.

No, it's a horrible strategy; all you're doing there is following a trend line. You're still getting burned by 99.9% of the population because human-beings by their very nature are highly inconsistent.

ok, lost me at met his gf on tinder

Of course all people are hypocritical at times. People are complex and contain multitudes, and nothing is black and white.

Furthermore, only a fool would never change their position on anything. Just because I’ve been wrong in the past doesn’t mean I would seek to always be wrong if confronted with information that may change my position. While that is not cognitive dissonance, you often hear of people derided as being hypocrites after a sincere changing their beliefs.

Of course all people are hypocritical at times. People are complex and contain multitudes, and nothing is black and white.

Furthermore, only a fool would never change their position on anything. Just because I’ve been wrong in the past doesn’t mean I would seek to always be wrong if confronted with information that may change my position. While that is not cognitive dissonance, you often hear of people derided as being hypocrites after a sincere changing their beliefs.

There's nothing really wrong with this though. If you discover new information or have an experience that changes your perception, it's only natural.

Cognitive dissonance is your brain playing tricks on you to help you convince yourself your behavior is normal. It's a real phenomenon IMO because I know of some very intelligent people who exhibit this.

Religious folks and partisan politicians are some of the worst offenders.

I used to be religious, not anymore. Strange behavior is all over the map, but if there's one thing 99% are guilty of, it's judging people. Hoooo lordy do they judge.

I'd say pretty much anything that SJW's advocate, but the vast majority of them are too dumb to realize beliefs are illogical and hypocritical.

7a7a61f33c3920afe173d6ae00c89777--la-veganista-vegan-humor.jpg

05e3fabdc82213c02229ade82a0b1e22--veganism-animal-rights.jpg

killdog.jpg

Cognitive dissonance seems to me to be more of a feature of our primate brains forced to contend with a modern world than a defect.

I don't consider it synonymous with hypocrisy because deep down, a hypocrite knows he's full of shit. One is a schism between belief and action, and the other is a schism between two simultaneously held yet conflicting beliefs.

For example my sister is deeply suspicious of the scientific establishment, modern medicine, etc, and believes our minds create reality (not the converse). She will espouse these views to me from halfway across the world over Skype from her smartphone without seeing the contradiction. Shouldn't she just be able to telepathically communicate with me?

It's definitely something we're all guilty of to some degree though.

Back