The cognitive dissonance thread (logically consistent brahs, GTFIH)

In high school, I was voted most likely to become a logically consistent brah

My bro is a super leftist type, constantly harping on us friends for leaning right or even just being a centrist.

When we are just broing down and talking politics or what not he always accuses us of being racist, bigoted, whatever.

Mind you, we are a mixed bunch of friends; whites, blacks, asians, hispanics, etc. We have a good diverse group of people.

My one buddy just gets heated during political discussions and is a drunk.

Anyway, we are all on molly and I say let's go to the club instead of sitting around. Everyone is for it except my one buddy who goes, "I heard it's kind of 'dark' in there, I wouldn't want to step on anyone's new 'kicks' and start a fight."

And the rest of us that he always harps on just look at him like:

giphy.gif

My bro is a super leftist type, constantly harping on us friends for leaning right or even just being a centrist.

When we are just broing down and talking politics or what not he always accuses us of being racist, bigoted, whatever.

Mind you, we are a mixed bunch of friends; whites, blacks, asians, hispanics, etc. We have a good diverse group of people.

My one buddy just gets heated during political discussions and is a drunk.

Anyway, we are all on molly and I say let's go to the club instead of sitting around. Everyone is for it except my one buddy who goes, "I heard it's kind of 'dark' in there, I wouldn't want to step on anyone's new 'kicks' and start a fight."

And the rest of us that he always harps on just look at him like:

giphy.gif
I was fully expecting to see this gif in this thread.

Hell I was considering using it myself...

Anyways yea anyone who has hardcore partisan beliefs shouldn't be taken seriously.

If I were to start my own political party I would call it the idiot party. Because when it comes to politics, everyone is an idiot!

There isn't such a thing as a political system that benefits everyone.

Cognitive dissonance is when you subvert one piece of information in favor of another, usually whatever feeds the status quo of your ego. Ex. You're a republican(or democrat), and you find out Obama fixed the deficit and made it into a surplus (or that George Bush Jr did more to eradicate AIDS around the world than any human who has ever existed) and your notion before hand was proved wrong by that new information. Cognitive dissonance is the act of selecting what you believe in the face of contradiction, to eradicate the contradiction.

You're example isn't cognitive dissonance.

Of course all people are hypocritical at times. People are complex and contain multitudes, and nothing is black and white.

Furthermore, only a fool would never change their position on anything. Just because I’ve been wrong in the past doesn’t mean I would seek to always be wrong if confronted with information that may change my position. While that is not cognitive dissonance, you often hear of people derided as being hypocrites after a sincere changing their beliefs.

You're talking about something different.
Changing your mind is one thing.

But many people continually say/do A and continually say/do B, even though they are contradictory.

Cognitive dissonance is when you subvert one piece of information in favor of another, usually whatever feeds the status quo of your ego. Ex. You're a republican(or democrat), and you find out Obama fixed the deficit and made it into a surplus (or that George Bush Jr did more to eradicate AIDS around the world than any human who has ever existed) and your notion before hand was proved wrong by that new information. Cognitive dissonance is the act of selecting what you believe in the face of contradiction, to eradicate the contradiction.

You're example isn't cognitive dissonance.
Perhaps I should have given more detail.

This gentleman, when asked about his cheating ways acts like it's not a big deal because she never suspects anything or asks any questions.

The fact that he sees nothing wrong with his own behavior is the cognitive dissonance.

Perhaps I should have given more detail.

This gentleman, when asked about his cheating ways acts like it's not a big deal because she never suspects anything or asks any questions.

The fact that he sees nothing wrong with his own behavior is the cognitive dissonance.

Not really. He doesn't believe cheating is wrong. He just believes cheating on him is unacceptable.

It's hypocritical, but not necessarily cognitive dissonance.

Back