The answer is weighing in minutes before you step in the cage

Fighters would be dehydrated though. You want them to fight when they’re dehydrated?

The idea is stupid but if fighters wanted to take that risk then thats on them.

I've always advocated for get on the scale then get in the cage.

It would literally change the whole idea of weight in MMA.

The fix is simple and right before our eyes. Weight classes should stay the same and fighters literally step on the scale after their walkout and before they step in the cage.

Add a 225lb division for the small HWs and let em bang.
Hold this L bro

Sounds good in theory.

In reality this will mean most of the fights will be between a couple of gassed, dehydrated fucks doing nothing but throw sloppy haymakers and lay on each other.

Nc isn’t the same as a draw. There would be no point going ahead with the fight if the result is pre determined for one fighter.
Even tho Jon vs dc was an nc people look at the fight and see that Dc got knocked out, not the nc

1. It wouldn’t be predetermined. Defeating the opponent would earn a draw, losing would be a loss.
2. It’s one suggestion of many possible ones to ensure a reliable and agreeable punitive protocol for these types of situations. I’d love to hear other variants of how it could be made fair. Key is that the rules and penalties of missing weight are well defined and presented to each fighter far ahead of the contest so that everyone knows what will happen in a given scenario.

Again less outrage 2 weeks ago when Mackenzie Dern was closer to the next weight category. People on here acting like 3.5 lbs is the worst one ever. It aint even close. Wonderboy's stipulation probably affects Till worse than him actually making weight and being able to weigh 200 lb on fight night (Still Think Till is BS about this though).

Sounds good in theory.

In reality this will mean most of the fights will be between a couple of gassed, dehydrated fucks doing nothing but throw sloppy haymakers and lay on each other.

What it really means is that fighters would pick weight classes much closer to their actual walk around weight.

This is how you tell the difference between the jock sniffers and the real athletes.

Your idea sucks, and you suck. It's a terrible idea.

I like it. Fighters would hopefully stop cutting an absurd amount of weight and fight closer to their natural weight class. A Featherweight fight (for example) between two people who are close to 160 or more on Fight Night is ridiculous.

Weigh 'em on the scale one last time backstage just minutes before they're due to walk out and take it from there.

This is how you tell the difference between the jock sniffers and the real athletes.

Your idea sucks, and you suck. It's a terrible idea.

I’m very interested in your rationale. Do you think you can construct a few paragraphs to detail the flaws in the protocol? And what exactly is wrong with sniffing jocks?

Most stupid thing I've ever read.
People literally post this Bullshit without taking two seconds to think it through, otherwise they would realize how stupid this idea is, yet it gets posted over and over and over again.

People literally post this Bullshit without taking two seconds to think it through, otherwise they would realize how stupid this idea is, yet it gets posted over and over and over again.

You do know that many combat sports have same day weigh ins? I’ve wrestled 20 minutes after weighing in. You know what impact it had on me? I chose a weight class that meant my cut wasn’t much more than 5 or 6 lbs. It’s a much healthier way to go about it.

And then there are knuckledraggers (such as yourself) who have limited command over the English language and can’t have a proper discussion about a topic.

I’m very interested in your rationale. Do you think you can construct a few paragraphs to detail the flaws in the protocol? And what exactly is wrong with sniffing jocks?

It's been said a million times. You'd witness someone dying and a lot of shitty fights from gassing.

Guys will still cut weight because it's part of every sport with a weight limit. In some cases they've done it since a very early age.

The notion that you're going get natural walk around weight fights will never happen. It's not even remotely plausible.

The best system is currently in place. The only better way would be doing weights ahead if time during camps. That won't happen either as it hinders promotion of events.

There's only 1 real solution but that requires a lot of manpower and money: Let all the fighters join 1 hotel a week for fight night. Put them on the scale 5x during that week AND have 3 surprise weigh-ins. If you're more than 5 lbs over your weight class weight you will be fined 10%. If you get strike 2 it's 30% and if you're 5 lbs over your weightclass weight 3x fight is off.
Then you would have a bunch of fighters walking around for 7 days dehydrated, hungry, and pissed off

1. It wouldn’t be predetermined. Defeating the opponent would earn a draw, losing would be a loss.
2. It’s one suggestion of many possible ones to ensure a reliable and agreeable punitive protocol for these types of situations. I’d love to hear other variants of how it could be made fair. Key is that the rules and penalties of missing weight are well defined and presented to each fighter far ahead of the contest so that everyone knows what will happen in a given scenario.
Nobody would be interested in watching a fight that would be a draw if one person won. NC's like your example happen after the fact, it's not something pre organised.
The only real way to stop the cutting is to implement a program like One are doing but of course it's not going to happen

I like the idea of showing the real fight night weight just for information, but keep the current rules.

Much of the thrust of my position is being missed. This system isn’t intended to “deal” with fighters that miss weight. It’s to prevent these situations all together.

Nevertheless, the system would "deal" with fighters that miss weight by depriving them of pay and not counting their win as a win. If anything, it would be better to just call off a fight altogether if either fighter misses weight, but that's not realistic either.

Also you should have to make weight in your fighting uniform.

How many fighters woukd agree to signing for a fight in a weight class that they may not make? Not many.
Fighters do that already...
Some opponents do not accept being a few pounds over.

They could keep the current system and make the weight class limit absolute (meaning you can't allow a few pounds of over-weight) and you bet people would still fail their cuts.
the fighter who DOES make weight can choose between cancelling the fight or taking 100% of the opponent’s purse.
So the weight misser would be fighting for no money at all? o_O
Why would they even do that?

Back