The answer is weighing in minutes before you step in the cage

The fix is simple and right before our eyes. Weight classes should stay the same and fighters literally step on the scale after their walkout and before they step in the cage.

Add a 225lb division for the small HWs and let em bang.
Completely agree. Only reason dana disagrees is lack of plan b is main event folds on the day

And what do you do when a fighter misses weight? You won't have time to do shit

Fighters would be dehydrated though. You want them to fight when they’re dehydrated?
Why would they come to fight dehydrated? The come to weigh in dehydrated and then hydrate immediately after to be 100% on the following night. If the weigh in is just BEFORE the fight nobody in their right mind would dehydrate. That's just plain dumb.

Credit to @Gazwald for the following:

If you wanted to implement something like that, wouldn't it make more sense for the ref to deduct a point at the start of the fight? I think the punishment avenue should be explored, but I think the judges have too much influence as it is.

This adds real value to some of the concepts discussed in this thread, so here's a newer iteration:

• A fighter must weigh in at or below the limit for the weight class as they step into the cage to fight
  • If a fighter is over, they immediately lose a point as they would if they committed a foul
  • If a fighter is over, they also lose a percentage of their purse equivalent to the delta between the designated weight class and the next weight class up
    • For example, if the fight is at WW and the fighter weighs in at 177.5 lbs, they lose 50% of their purse since the 7.5 lbs they're over is exactly 15% of the delta between WW and MW.
  • If they're over the limit for the next weight class up, they lose two full points in the scoring
  • Each miss forces the fighter to compete at the weight class above them before they can compete at the weight class in which they missed weight.
    • Each subsequent miss adds the same number of required bouts at the higher weight class. This being Darren Till's second miss means he must fight twice at 185 before he can return to 170.
  • If the fighter misses by such a large margin that they're weighing in over the limit of the next weight class up, they get an automatic lifetime ban on competing at the weight class in which the violation took place
  • Add a 225lb division for the current LHWs that would probably have to go up a class to compete
All these rules would be agreed upon before the fight and during the contractual process so there would be no mystery as what would transpire as the fighters weigh in cageside. There would be no cancellations, EVER. Both fighters would agree to the rules and the incentives for making weight + the disincentives for missing would be so high, that adjustments would surely be made.

In a hypothetical situation where Till showed up at 190 on fight night, Wonderboy would get his full purse and a 2 point advantage entering the contest. Any fighter with more than a single testicle would welcome that advantageous position.

Last edited:
Credit to @Gazwald for the following:

This adds real value to some of the concepts discussed in this thread, so here's a newer iteration:

• A fighter must weigh in as they step into the cage to fight at or below the limit for the weightclass
  • If a fighter is over, they immediately lose a point as they would if they committed a foul
  • If a fighter is over, they also lose a percentage of their purse equivalent to the delta between the designated weight class and the next weight class up
    • For example, if the fight is at WW and the fighter weighs in at 177.5 lbs, they lose 50% of their purse since the 7.5 lbs they're over is exactly 15% of the delta between WW and MW.
  • If they're over the limit for the next weight class up, they lose two full points in the scoring
  • Each miss forces the fighter to compete at the weight class above them before they can compete at the weight class in which they missed weight.
    • Each subsequent miss adds the same number of required bouts at the higher weight class. This being Darren Till's second miss means he must fight twice at 185 before he can return to 170.
  • If the fighter misses by such a large margin that they're weighing in over the limit of the next weight class up, they get an automatic lifetime ban on competing at the weight class in which the violation took place
  • Add a 225lb division for the current LHWs that would probably have to go up a class to compete
All these rules would be agreed upon before the fight and during the contractual process so there would be no mystery as what would transpire as the fighters weigh in cageside.

(In bold) Was something I was for once upon a time. Now LHW is as thin as HW.

(In bold) Was something I was for once upon a time. Now LHW is as thin as HW.

Fair enough, but if the adjustment is made where fighters have to make weight on fight night, pretty much every LHW would be moving up to 225 which would essentially become the new LHW.

The fix is simple and right before our eyes. Weight classes should stay the same and fighters literally step on the scale after their walkout and before they step in the cage
Would create so many issues. Health wise and cards dropping legit last second. Wouldn't work man. Boxing has a good approach I think they need to take more from that of anything
Add a 225lb division for the small HWs and let em bang.

Read post #84, has the updated rules. Idea is that fighters would have major disincentive to cut massive amounts of weight. Instead of cutting from 210 to 170, fighters would be cutting from 185 to 170. It would reduce the abuse of weight cutting.

Same day weigh ins. If you miss weight twice, automatic lifetime ban from the ufc. Let natural selection take care of everyone stupid enough to cut 30 pounds the day of their fight.

You can test hydration these days.

Same day weigh in plus hydration test.

Fail weight, fight is catchweight and you get automatically raised to the next weight class.

Fail hydration, fight is cancelled and you get fired.

Testing hydration by itself solves the weight cut issue. There's no need for the same day weighin part.

The answer is to shut down athletic commissions and have all UFC fights be openweight.

@egk

Looping your thread (http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/anyone-else-hoping-whittaker-refuses-to-fight.3776635) into this as I think you'll appreciate the idea of putting a system like the one discussed in this thread into place.

Thanks.

I agree with those who say fighters will fight dehydrated though. They're not the sharpest tools in the shed, after all. They'll do just about anything to try and get an advantage.

I think One FC is the only organization on the right track. They need to certify the fighters for specific weights and not let them ever be over a certain percentage of that once they start a fight camp.

https://www.mmamania.com/2017/5/25/15693052/one-championship-abolished-weight-cutting-in-mma

The answer is to shut down athletic commissions and have all UFC fights be openweight.

I'm surprised that there isn't a firm grasp around the idea that fighters know their limits. Take Romero for example. There's a reason he's never attempted to fight at 170 or 155. He understands, with piercing clarity that it's out of reach. If he was forced to contend with the idea that he could conceivably step into the cage in the state he was in this afternoon shortly after his miss, you can rest assured that he'd look at LHW with a very fresh perspective. Take a moment, ponder, and let me know if this perspective is apparent.

Thanks.

I agree with those who say fighters will fight dehydrated though. They're not the sharpest tools in the shed, after all. They'll do just about anything to try and get an advantage.

I think One FC is the only organization on the right track. They need to certify the fighters for specific weights and not let them ever be over a certain percentage of that once they start a fight camp.

https://www.mmamania.com/2017/5/25/15693052/one-championship-abolished-weight-cutting-in-mma

I agree. Some will try fighting at a less than optimal weight class and, when it inevitably fails to produce the advantage that it was intended to, they'll adjust. It reminds me of how bewildered Rich Franklin was when he first tasted Anderson Silva's MT clinch. The rest of the MMA community watched with heightened concern that they too could be the next Ace if they failed to tighten their game. The same would happen when a recklessly depleted fighter stepped into the cage.

The answer is not to support the UFC anymore monetarily until they clean up their act. Missing weight is cheating no way around it a fighters whole training regimen revolves around a controlled diet. When you don't adhere to that it's an unfair advantage in a court of law a Judge would never allow a proven unfair advantage.

This would be a very painful conversion.

But with the right safeguards it would actually work very, very well.

If you miss weight, you get no money and you don't fight. Have backups ready to just put on a show in case one or both fighters fail to make weight. If you don't make any money, you've just spent a wad of cash on a training camp for nothing.

Pretty soon anyone with a sketchy rep, like Mr. Yoel, will fail to draw people due to his lack of integrity. PPV goes down and suddenly Dana doesn't want to give him title shots or make him a headline on the card.

Eventually fighters would have to essentially make a calculated but conservative choice on weight. Right now they make calculated but generous choices.

Love the idea. Fighters need to quit dropping 25-30 lbs so they can fight smaller guys. Whatsince does it make to walk around 215lb, train to 195lb naturally, and have to dehydrate another 10lbs to fight a guy smaller guy. Its even worse for people dropping several weight classes. Sign a contract that your health on fight day must be assessed and the fighter and his team are responsible.

This would be a very painful conversion.

But with the right safeguards it would actually work very, very well.

If you miss weight, you get no money and you don't fight. Have backups ready to just put on a show in case one or both fighters fail to make weight. If you don't make any money, you've just spent a wad of cash on a training camp for nothing.

Pretty soon anyone with a sketchy rep, like Mr. Yoel, will fail to draw people due to his lack of integrity. PPV goes down and suddenly Dana doesn't want to give him title shots or make him a headline on the card.

Eventually fighters would have to essentially make a calculated but conservative choice on weight. Right now they make calculated but generous choices.

The suggested protocol is now in the original post, interested in your thoughts:

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/t...n-minutes-before-you-step-in-the-cage.3769869

Back