The Amityville SHiNiNG

I recently watched the Amityville Horror (1979) and I must say I enjoyed it. Somehow I got to the remake first yet the original was far more effective. One aspect I noticed was the blood FX was a thicker syrupy substance. In different horror movies you will notice the variations in blood FX used.
Yeah I also watched the remake a few weeks before I revisited the original and to no surprise the original is superior.

That being said though as needless as the remake was I still thought it was a solid horror movie.

That’s really interesting man! Thanks for sharing, never thought about this

Yeah I also watched the remake a few weeks before I revisited the original and to no surprise the original is superior.

That being said though as needless as the remake was I still thought it was a solid horror movie.

The Omen remake tried to add little things here and there but I also found the original to be far superior.

Is AmityVille a true story?

I know its based on a book that some people have decredited
I never heard that it was discredited.
There was a mass murder in that house. The issue is over whether the next family to stay there actually experienced anything paranormal.

It's been claimed that the murderer was influenced by a Native burial ground on the site of the house, but local historians and Natives say that there is not sufficient evidence that there was ever a burial ground there.

Here are some of the things the family experienced while staying in the house according to the book.

• George would wake up around 3:15 every morning and would go out to check the boathouse. Later he would learn that this was the estimated time of the DeFeo killings.
  • The house was plagued by swarms of flies despite the winter weather.
  • Kathy had vivid nightmares about the murders and discovered the order in which they occurred and the rooms where they took place. The Lutz children also began sleeping on their stomachs, in the same way that the dead bodies in the DeFeo murders had been found.
  • Kathy would feel a sensation as if "being embraced" in a loving manner, by an unseen force.
  • George discovered a small hidden room (around four feet by five feet) behind shelving in the basement. The walls were painted red and the room did not appear in the blueprints of the house. The room came to be known as "The Red Room." This room had a profound effect on their dog Harry, who refused to go near it and cowered as if sensing something ominous.
  • There were cold spots and odors of perfume and excrement in areas of the house where no wind drafts or piping would explain the source.
  • While tending to the fire, George and Kathy saw the image of a demon with half his head blown out. It was burned into the soot in the back of the fireplace.
  • The Lutzes' 5-year-old daughter, Missy, developed an imaginary friend named "Jodie," a demonic pig-like creature with glowing red eyes.
  • In the early morning hours of Christmas Day 1975, George looked up at the house after checking on the boathouse and saw the pig standing behind Missy at her bedroom window. When he ran up to her room he found her fast asleep with her small rocking chair slowly rocking back and forth.
  • George would wake up to the sound of the front door slamming. He would race downstairs to find the dog sleeping soundly at the front door. Nobody else heard the sound although it was loud enough to wake the house.
  • George would hear what was described as a "marching band tuning up" or what sounded like a clock radio playing not quite on frequency. When he went downstairs the noise would cease.
  • George realized that he bore a strong resemblance to Ronald DeFeo, Jr., and began drinking at The Witches' Brew, the bar where DeFeo was once a regular customer.
  • When closing Missy's window, which Missy said Jodie climbed out of, Kathy saw red eyes glowing at her.
  • While in bed, Kathy received red welts on her chest caused by an unseen force and was levitated two feet in the air.
  • Locks, doors and windows in the house were damaged by an unseen force.
  • Cloven hoof prints attributed to an enormous pig appeared in the snow outside the house January 1, 1976.
  • Green gelatin-like slime oozed from walls in the hall, and also from the keyhole of the playroom door in the attic.
  • A 12-inch (30 cm) crucifix, hung in the living room by Kathy, revolved until it was upside down and gave off a sour smell.
  • George tripped over a 4-foot-high (1.2 m) China lion ornament in the living room and found bite marks on one of his ankles. Later this lion would reappear in the living room after George had moved it back upstairs into the sewing room.
  • George saw Kathy transform into an old woman of 90, "the hair wild, a shocking white, the face a mass of wrinkles and ugly lines, and saliva dripping from the toothless mouth."
  • Missy would sing constantly while in her room. Whenever she left the room, she would stop singing, and upon returning, she would resume singing where she left off.
  • On one occasion Kathy heard what sounded like a window being opened and closed through the sewing room door even though she was sure no one was in there.
For someone like me who does not believe in the supernatural, obviously I don't think these things happened. If you are someone who believes in the supernatural I guess there's room for debate over whether this particular case is legit.

Last edited:
Is AmityVille a true story?

I know its based on a book that some people have decredited

The dude really shotgunned his family. But the next couple that moved in and started claiming "possession" were pretty much known con artists. Theyre the ones that created the whole supernatural angle, sold a bunch of books off it. If I remember correctly there was a documentary some years back called "The Real Amityville" or something and they had a psychologist interview Defeo extensively. Like I said it was some years ago, so some of the details could be a bit muddled. But Defeo himself never said anything about supernatural influence per se. What he did say was that he didnt feel "like himself" and that it was like "someone else was controlling him", and other variations of that. But the psychologist said thats not uncommon in situations like that where the killer becomes overwhelmed with guilt and creates a narrative where they werent in control of their actions.

The dude really shotgunned his family. But the next couple that moved in and started claiming "possession" were pretty much known con artists. Theyre the ones that created the whole supernatural angle, sold a bunch of books off it. If I remember correctly there was a documentary some years back called "The Real Amityville" or something and they had a psychologist interview Defeo extensively. Like I said it was some years ago, so some of the details could be a bit muddled. But Defeo himself never said anything about supernatural influence per se. What he did say was that he didnt feel "like himself" and that it was like "someone else was controlling him", and other variations of that. But the psychologist said thats not uncommon in situations like that where the killer becomes overwhelmed with guilt and creates a narrative where they werent in control of their actions.
There's a theory out there that the Defeo family actually had mob ties and the murder was a hit with multiple people involved. This would explain how the whole family was shot while face down in their beds.

Actually I retract that. Going back that is one of the stories Ronald tried to push due to his great uncle being part of the Genovese crime family. It looks like the only other plausible theory other than Ronald acting on his own is that his sister was involved as well.

Last edited:
Back