The Amityville SHiNiNG

xenomorph4prez

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
As part of my Halloween viewing this year I recently watched The Amityville Horror (1979). This was my first viewing of the film in a long time because I've never been that big a fan of it.

This time around was interesting because I have become a big fan of Kubrick's The SHiNiNG since my last viewing of The Amityville Horror and while I knew there were several similarities between the films my familiarity with The SHiNiNG I think may have shed light on some of the detours Kubrick took from Stephen King's novel.

The Amityville Horror (1979) film was based on the book of the same title released in 1977 detailing the "true" paranormal experiences of the Lutz family.

Here is the wiki for it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Amityville_Horror

The Amityville Horror book was released in 1977, The Amityville Horror film in 1979, Stephen King's novel The Shining in 1977 and Kubrick's film The SHiNiNG in 1980.

In The Shining novel Jack terrorizes his family with a croquet mallet but in the film he uses an axe.

In The Amityville Horror film George Lutz also uses an axe.

article-1353152-01F7A9B900000578-447_468x355.jpg
the-amityville-horror-1979-attack-with-an-axe.jpg

Jack is apparently being influenced by The Overlook's previous groundskeeper who murdered his family and George Lutz is being influenced by Ronald Defeo Jr. who murdered his family in real life in 1974.

There is a scene in The SHiNiNG where an apparition of the Overlook's groundskeeper tells Jack that he Jack was always the groundskeeper and at the end of the film we get a black and white photo of Jack at a party dated 1921 implying that Jack was always the groundskeeper.

This seems random and is not found in the book.

In The Amityville horror film George's wife Kathy does some research into the murders of the family that previously occupied their home only to find a black and white photo of Ronald Defeo Jr. the murderer and he looks exactly like George Lutz. There is even a scene where a bar tender mistakes George Lutz for Ronnie Defeo Jr. So the reincarnation aspect of The SHiNiNG film while not found in the source novel is in The Amityville Horror film.

The famous elevator spewing blood scene in the film The SHiNiNG is not found in the novel. In the Amityville Horror film though there is a scene where the walls and steps of the house drip blood and a scene in the films climax where George Lutz falls into and is submerged in a pit of blood.

I even think the look of the elevator in The SHiNiNG was inspired by the Amityville Horror house. The symmetrical design gives the impression of a face or of eyes at least.

elevator.jpg

Amityville-Horror.jpg

Remember the scene where Jack enters room 238 to find a beautiful nude women in the bathtub and while kissing her sees her reflection in the mirror and she is actually an old hag. Well that scene is not found in the book either but a very similar scene is found in The Amityville Horror book and film.

This is a bullet point from The Amityville Horror wiki

George saw Kathy transform into an old woman of 90, "the hair wild, a shocking white, the face a mass of wrinkles and ugly lines, and saliva dripping from the toothless mouth."

In the film The SHiNiNG the manager of the Overlook Hotel tells Jack that the hotel was built on an indian burial ground. While that isn't true of The Shining novel guess what, The Amityville Horror house is also built on an indian burial ground.

I'll post more similarities if I can think of any others but just with what is posted above do you think it possible that some of Kubrick's detours from Stephen King's novel that have left many scratching their head and in my case and many others coming up with wild theories of their own to try to make sense of them can be explained simply by him swagger jacking The Amityville Horror?

Last edited:
Remember the scene in The SHiNiNG where Jack is in the "Red" bathroom talking to Grady and it appears that Jack is actually talking to his reflection in the mirror. That scene is not found in the book to my recollection.

In the Amityville Horror film George Lutz's dog is frantically scratching at a wall and a psychic tells George that the source of evil is coming from behind the wall so George knocks the wall in revealing a hidden "Red" room and he sees Ronald DeFeo Jr's spirit I guess looking at him which is practically a reflection because he and George Lutz are identical.

So in both instances the protagonists comes face to face with the evil that has reincarnated or is possessing them in a "Red" room.

43db9056ca43f4082317178859cc203e.jpg

amityville-horror-81.jpg

Remember how in The SHiNiNG title cards would ominously flash up showing time jumps like a month later or a specific date like Tuesday.

Well Amityville Horror did that first also.

from The SHiNiNG

theshining_a_month_later_0.jpg

from The Amityville Horror

The-Amityville-Horror-the-amityville-horror-26811896-720-480.jpg

Last edited:
Never seen either film or read either book but still found op interesting

Some interesting parallels/coincidences, but The Shining only premiered 10 months after The Amityville Horror, but shooting alone on The Shining took over a year, not to mention screenplay and editing.

I don’t think Kubrick went to the movies and then decided to copy a bunch of stuff.

Some interesting parallels/coincidences, but The Shining only premiered 10 months after The Amityville Horror, but shooting alone on The Shining took over a year, not to mention screenplay and editing.

I don’t think Kubrick went to the movies and then decided to copy a bunch of stuff.

I agree but do you think it's possible he could've lifted some ideas from The Amityville Horror novel that came out in 1977 or maybe even read the script for The Amityville Horror film before it was made?

I agree but do you think it's possible he could've lifted some ideas from The Amityville Horror novel that came out in 1977 or maybe even read the script for The Amityville Horror film before it was made?

You might like this:

In high school driving up to the Amityville house was a halloween activity. They changed the facade to make it not look like a face anymore. Buncha bullshit.

Amityville has the GOAT scary theme music.
I don't know if it still stands up, but that movie scared the shit out of me when I was a kid.

interesting, I never considered that, I guess I thought the Stanley Hotel's history was enough source material for Kubrick and King

They did a remake of Amityville with Ryan Reynolds and Melissa George.

I have actually been to the town of Amityville on Long Island. I was a kid, and just walking down the street, I was scared shitless. I thought the whole town was messed up.

Apparently there are enough ghouls on Long Island for a show like Long Island medium to happen.

Amityville has the GOAT scary theme music.
I don't know if it still stands up, but that movie scared the shit out of me when I was a kid.

Is AmityVille a true story?

I know its based on a book that some people have decredited

Amityville really happened

Ron Defeo killed his whole family one night

A year later the Lutz family moved in, and a month later they moved out because of ghosts

Hey I can read Wikipedia too wow

I recently watched the Amityville Horror (1979) and I must say I enjoyed it. Somehow I got to the remake first yet the original was far more effective. One aspect I noticed was the blood FX was a thicker syrupy substance. In different horror movies you will notice the variations in blood FX used.

In The Shining novel Jack terrorizes his family with a croquet mallet but in the film he uses an axe.

I've read that Kubrick intended the axe as a tribute to a similar scene in The Phantom Carriage (from 1921)

I've read that Kubrick intended the axe as a tribute to a similar scene in The Phantom Carriage (from 1921)
I've never heard of that film but I can definitely see the homage to it Kubrick intended.

giphy.gif
tumblr_my40zfq5qi1sksdxao5_250.gif

What do you think about the other similarities that The SHiNiNG film has in common with the Amityville Horror film/novel?

Back