Textbook Boxer

10000 Days

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Which fighter defines the textbook boxer for you?

Personally, I think Finito Lopez is the textbook boxer. Fundamental, very technical, if ever you would teach somebody from scratch on how to box, I'd show em tapes of Finito.

Eric esch.

giphy.gif

Lopez is pretty standard in terms of fundamentals and style. I'd go with him. For more specific styles then you'd start picking more particular fighters.

donald curry in his short prime, even though i was never sold on him, he was very technical, there are others but he's the first guy i think of.

Currently active I'd say Mikey Garcia.

Currently active I'd say Mikey Garcia.

This is who I came here to say, but other people seemed to be leaning towards historical fighters. But Mikey Garcia was the first name I thought of because he seems to be so balanced, he just does everything pretty well.

I always felt that Larry Donald and Chris Byrd were all examples of clean North American style heavyweight boxing. These guys were no frills boxers who racked up tons of wins on skill without being brutal KO artists of 6'6 giants.

e4oETEb.gif

Tapes of AA, all fucking day
definitely, the best example is how technique beats speed is how he threw a right at the same time as billy costello but even though he's way slower, his landed first because it was straight. God i love Alexis, hate to think of how many of my boyhood heroes are gone or damaged.

gil clancy once said riddick bowe was the best schooled extra large heavyweight he'd ever seen.

McCallum was very sound technically speaking.

Floyd is outstanding, of course, but quite a few of his tricks rely on his own special talents (ie the lead right cross out of nowhere) and fall pretty much into the "don't try this at home" category.

Last edited:
McCallum was very sound technically speaking.

Floyd is outstanding, of course, but quite a few of his tricks rely on his own special talents (ie the lead right cross out of nowhere) and fall pretty much on the "don't try this at home" category.
Seriously spot on. I tried sparring Floyd style and got the shit kicked out of me. You have it or you don't.

Back