International Tesla's Cybertruck (AKA 'The Elon') Tested on BBC's Top Gear

THe low headlights are genius. All modern trucks have grown in size and particularly in height. The effect of high output LEDs and HIDs, on other drivers at night, is horrendous.

This is a great design element by Tesla engineers.

If you were given the choice between a free 911 or a Cybertruck, which would you take?

I'd definitely go for the Porsche; most people would too.

People who buy a truck for doing truck stuff won't buy this thing, because it has some severe limitations from a utilitarian standpoint.

A proper truck has a body-on-frame design. The F150 has this. The cybertruck is unibody, like cars, minivans, a lot of suvs and crossovers.

A proper truck has a separate bed and no sloping sides. A separate bed = cheaper to replace and fix when dented, can be replaced with a flatbed or service body. Separate bed = makes it easier (and cheaper) to install a backrack.

Sloping sides = gets in the way of side loading.

This is a lifestyle vehicle, not a serious truck. It's like the Chevy Avalanche or the Jeep pickup, but has more payload and towing capacity than them.

OMG you're really stretching. This isn't meant to replace and f250 work truck with a 8' bed, we know that. Nobody wants to spend 80k on a small work truck anyway.

But by far the most popular truck in the US, is an optioned out crew cab with a 6' bed. The cybertruck fills that niche perfectly. You could fairly call ALL 4 door 6' bed trucks "lifestyle vehicles" and I'd agree, but it's not fair to pigeonhole the CT as another Avalanche or Gladiator--it's far more capable as a truck than those.

Totally disagree with the body on frame comment, that's just making an excuse for an ancient crappy design. Replacing the bed is pretty rare, and we don't really know that the cybertruck won't be repariable (the SS panels do appear replaceable). Also denting 1mm thick hardened SS is about 100 times harder than denting the thin, soft, sheet metal on traditional trucks.

As for the sloping side comment... that's a fair point, but pretty nit-picky. I sure see a lot of lifted trucks on job-sites, so they obviously didn't care. Also, if you lower the adjustable suspension to the ground the highest part of the bed is likely only a few inches higher than an F150 bed. I personally would have prefered no sloped sides, but would be willing to live with it for the extra 10% range it provides.

Last edited:
THe low headlights are genius. All modern trucks have grown in size and particularly in height. The effect of high output LEDs and HIDs, on other drivers at night, is horrendous.

This is a great design element by Tesla engineers.
Kia and Hyundai have been mounting the lights lower for years, same with jeep.

The grill is just an LED, doesn't light the road. the headlights are the lighting pods below the grill. Same with jeep cherokees,

link since the forums are fucking broken still.

If you were given the choice between a free 911 or a Cybertruck, which would you take?

I'd definitely go for the Porsche; most people would too.
911s hold their value better than just about any other make and model i can think of. meanwhile you could buy a tesla monday and by friday they've reduced the cost 5k completely spiking your value.

You know, this might actually be the right way to go about getting a foot in the door with electric trucks. Currently electric trucks are selling like shit in the US - but the Cybertruck, because it's so bloody weird looking, is going to have a niche/nerd audience locked in, and it will sell some for novelty alone. If that audience buys it and it has a few years of real world use as a proof-of-concept of functionality, all they have to do is release a version that isn't so weird a few years down the road for the normies, and I bet they capture a bit of marketshare from gas powered. Don't expect it to have a huge impact, but the competitor trucks are borderline stillborn at the moment, whereas Cybertruck actually does have an audience.

I still don't know if I like it. It's growing on me.
What is it, 5k more than a 4runner ?
In fairness these things are usually just protos. There's probably a slicker design in the works. I'm guess Elon has a big idea on something he wants to do and most these things are just smaller chips for the wider plan. Either that or he's autistic.

In fairness these things are usually just protos. There's probably a slicker design in the works. I'm guess Elon has a big idea on something he wants to do and most these things are just smaller chips for the wider plan. Either that or he's autistic.
I'm pretty sure what we're seeing now is just about production. The original prototypes were different.

OMG you're really stretching. This isn't meant to replace and f250 work truck with a 8' bed, we know that. Nobody wants to spend 80k on a small work truck anyway.

There are F150 / 1500 (1/2 ton) pickups being used for work or weekend warrior stuff.
But by far the most popular truck in the US, is an optioned out crew cab with a 6' bed. The cybertruck fills that niche perfectly. You could fairly call ALL 4 door 6' bed trucks "lifestyle vehicles" and I'd agree, but it's not fair to pigeonhole the CT as another Avalanche or Gladiator--it's far more capable as a truck than those.

It has more payload and towing than the Avalanche and Gladiator but still shares some of their same limitations because of its design.
Totally disagree with the body on frame comment, that's just making an excuse for an ancient crappy design. Replacing the bed is pretty rare, and we don't really know that the cybertruck won't be repariable (the SS panels do appear replaceable). Also denting 1mm thick hardened SS is about 100 times harder than denting the thin, soft, sheet metal on traditional trucks.
Just because a body-on-frame is old doesn't mean it is an obsolete design. This design is much better for heavy duty vehicles, pickups and 4x4s that will go off road. The Toyota landcruiser is a legendary 4x4 and it is still body-on-frame.

Body-on-frame makes repair, modification and replacement much easier & cheaper. Repair is a viable option in many cases where a unibody vehicle would be written off as totaled.

A pickup should ideally have a separate bed because beds get damaged. Judging by the pictures the bed sides of the truck and the C-pillar are one piece. If the bed in the CT gets major damage, you will have to replace the whole side and maybe even substantial portion of unibody.

As for the sloping side comment... that's a fair point, but pretty nit-picky. I sure see a lot of lifted trucks on job-sites, so they obviously didn't care. Also, if you lower the adjustable suspension to the ground the highest part of the bed is likely only a few inches higher than an F150 bed. I personally would have prefered no sloped sides, but would be willing to live with it for the extra 10% range it provides.

The biggest detract for the CT is not having a separate bed.

I was under the impression that this was being developed for military purposes. I don't see many people in the general public buying that...thing. Although, it looks familiar. Like a vehicle out of a futuristic movie, that I can't quite put my finger on. I'm thinking the original Terminator in the war scenes, but I'm not sure.

"I know nothing about the truck, but I'm gonna trash it because Elon Musk made Twitter more inclusive."
He makes great cars, that truck looks like shit.

Maybe I should join Bill Gates and short the shit out of Tesla. He is losing money on every one he sells. Once he gets his fans to buy one, that will be it for the sales.
Tesla Fans are like Apple fans, in that if a new product comes out they got to have it.

I want to know if the thing will still be drivable after broadsiding a minivan at 60mph

Lol it gets better an better.

"Tesla is offering a $1,000 discount to Cybertruck reservation holders who place an order or lease for another model. The new discount does raise a few questions in the wake of the Cybertruck Delivery Event. Why would someone purchasing a Cybertruck want to buy another vehicle immediately? How long are reservation holders going to wait before receiving their post-apocalyptic pickups?

Back