Telltale Games is shutting down

jefferz

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
A wave of layoffs has apparently hit the video game studio Telltale Games, responsible for popular branching-narrative games based on the Walking Dead franchise. According to online reports, those affected by the layoffs have alleged that the studio is either shutting down entirely or staying afloat as a meager skeleton crew, ahead of The Walking Dead: The Telltale Series' final season launch throughout this fall.

On Friday, independent reporter Andrea Ayres posted an allegation that the studio had shut down, based on feedback from a game-development Facebook community that simply said, "Telltale Games is closing their doors." Shortly afterward, Telltale narrative designer Emily Grace Buck confirmed that she does "not have a job anymore" and added that she was looking for job opening information for "a lot of other amazing people I love dearly."

After Gamasutra reported on the story by saying Telltale was "closing its doors," The Verge followed up to indicate that a team of 25 staffers will remain on board—perhaps to usher the company's remaining Walking Dead episodes to launch. USGamer separately reports that a new game in Telltale's The Wolf Among Us series, and a previously announced series based on the Netflix show Stranger Things, have been canceled.

Shortly after these stories went live, Forbes reporter Joe Parlock offered his own synthesis of today's Telltale news as follows. The studio's remaining crew of roughly 25 staffers will stay on board until this final season of The Walking Dead is complete, at which point the studio will shutter due to "bankruptcy." This will affect the studio's recent push into publishing other studios' games, Parlock writes. Part of the company's financial trouble, he says, is due to the previously unannounced news that the studio's deal with Netflix (and thus the Stranger Things license) fell through earlier this year.
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018...wave-of-layoffs-cancels-stranger-things-game/

It's sad to see another developer going bankrupt.

Last edited:
Noooooooo

I needed The Wolf Among Us sequel :(

I've never enjoyed these "games". Very surprised they are shutting down though people always seemed to love these games. Guess it was just a loud by small crew of people.

They hit a home run in the first two season of The Walking Dead. Sadly falling into the trap of trying to relive that with other IP's.

The first couple times I played their games it was fun. But then you realize that none of your choices actually impact the overall main storyline, a few characters may be swapped out but the same shit happens more or less. That turned me off alot of their games and I didn't have must interest to complete some of them if the story wasn't great. I heard Wolf Among Us was the exception.

Didn't they make The Walking Dead games? I loved those.

...my god, man. did you read ANY part of the first post?

and i never got into any of these "games," but i'm sort of surprised they died already. they seemed popular (and yeah, i remember hearing they were barely afloat about a year ago)

I think branching out into so many different franchises hurt the quality of their games overall.

I quit after that shitty Game of Thrones game. I finished it and realized I did not enjoy one bit of it.
Sucks for people that were invested into their Walking Dead game cause that one isnt even going to get finished now.
They rather work on the Minecraft shit game instead.

...my god, man. did you read ANY part of the first post?

and i never got into any of these "games," but i'm sort of surprised they died already. they seemed popular (and yeah, i remember hearing they were barely afloat about a year ago)

Chill bro lol. I posted at almost midnight my time so I was half sleep chilling next to a girl. I know gamers are hardcore but goodness, you seem almost insulted. lol. I liked their games that I played.

...we're in the same time zone.

hell, i think we're in the same city.

Classic case of too big, too soon. Would make for an interesting documentary.

They'll always have a special place in my heart for reviving the old point and click adventure games though. I can remember when the "Sam and Max" reboot was announced. They were just this small little studio pumping out sequels to these classic adventure games, and they were really good at it. They seemed like "LucasArts V2" for a while there. Then they just exploded overnight with that first TWD game. Blessing and a curse, I suppose, because after that they just got greedy, took on way too much, and never evolved past that design formula, or made any effort at all to fix the glaring technical issues those games had. All those licenses they picked up just led to a crazy development schedule, an oversaturation of the market, and pissing off the fans wanting basic quality control that TT could never accommodate because they were always against the clock to get the next game out. Recipe for disaster.

Shame, really. RIP.

Apparently none of their games post TWD season 1 made any profit. Upper management is garbage, if you see that licencing IPs and making games wasnt making money, then why continue doing the same thing over and over again expecting change?

This sucks. Loved their games. TWD and TWAU were pretty amazing. The Batman games were pretty fun as well.

Sucks that we won't get any closure to their TWD story.

And I just read that they aren't going to finish the final season of TWD. Of course I pre-ordered the whole season. I better at least get 75 percent of my money back.

They should've made GOT season 2 instead of all the other crap.

Cot damn, enjoyed most of their games and I love the genre as a whole. Sad news

Back