Telltale Games is shutting down

What can you say... the gaming industry is a bitch sometimes.

*Sigh*

This isn't surprising, but the timing is surprising.

TWD Season 1 is one of the best experiences in gaming of the last decade, but that was the height of Telltale's quality.

TWD Season 2 was good, maybe great at times, but no one considers it to be as great as Season 1.

I played TWAU and didn't care for the world it took place in.

I guess I'm one of the few who played Game of Thrones and loved it and was its 2nd season was one of my most anticipated games. When it was cancelled, after every storyline of Season 1 ended in a cliffhanger, I was pissed.

Although I didn't play TWD Season 3, I was looking forward to hearing how The Final Season concluded. I love Clem as a character and really hope she has a happy ending in a world where everybody dies horribly.

In the end, Telltale has failed to innovate over the past 5 years. They've followed the same formula and hoped each expensive license acquired would lead to new customer bases.

Hopefully leaks from the departing employee base will reveal how Clem's story would have ended.

Played most and finished most of their games. Was a fan of their work and this hurts.

TWD, TWAU, GoT, Batman, were all great the only game that sucked was Back to the Future.

I read that the majority of the staff who were laid off were given 30 mins to leave the building. Only a few hours notice and no severance pay.

The "management team" at the former studio is a fucking disgrace.

The quality of their titles became stale and fell in quality from the surprisingly good season one of TWD. They kept gobbling up licenses and putting out title after title. Sad but it’s not surprising

Played most and finished most of their games. Was a fan of their work and this hurts.

TWD, TWAU, GoT, Batman, were all great the only game that sucked was Back to the Future.

I read that the majority of the staff who were laid off were given 30 mins to leave the building. Only a few hours notice and no severance pay.

The "management team" at the former studio is a fucking disgrace.

liked Monkey Island and Back to the Future, but I played them both when they first came out.

Not really suprised. Loved the first season of the Walking Dead but it got dull pretty fast during the second season.

A wave of layoffs has apparently hit the video game studio Telltale Games, responsible for popular branching-narrative games based on the Walking Dead franchise. According to online reports, those affected by the layoffs have alleged that the studio is either shutting down entirely or staying afloat as a meager skeleton crew, ahead of The Walking Dead: The Telltale Series' final season launch throughout this fall.

On Friday, independent reporter Andrea Ayres posted an allegation that the studio had shut down, based on feedback from a game-development Facebook community that simply said, "Telltale Games is closing their doors." Shortly afterward, Telltale narrative designer Emily Grace Buck confirmed that she does "not have a job anymore" and added that she was looking for job opening information for "a lot of other amazing people I love dearly."

After Gamasutra reported on the story by saying Telltale was "closing its doors," The Verge followed up to indicate that a team of 25 staffers will remain on board—perhaps to usher the company's remaining Walking Dead episodes to launch. USGamer separately reports that a new game in Telltale's The Wolf Among Us series, and a previously announced series based on the Netflix show Stranger Things, have been canceled.

Shortly after these stories went live, Forbes reporter Joe Parlock offered his own synthesis of today's Telltale news as follows. The studio's remaining crew of roughly 25 staffers will stay on board until this final season of The Walking Dead is complete, at which point the studio will shutter due to "bankruptcy." This will affect the studio's recent push into publishing other studios' games, Parlock writes. Part of the company's financial trouble, he says, is due to the previously unannounced news that the studio's deal with Netflix (and thus the Stranger Things license) fell through earlier this year.
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018...wave-of-layoffs-cancels-stranger-things-game/

It's sad to see another developer going bankrupt.

Note to Insomniac - don’t have your shitty mini games with MJ and M look and ‘play’ like Tell Tale. I want fucking Spider-Man.

The quality of their titles became stale and fell in quality from the surprisingly good season one of TWD. They kept gobbling up licenses and putting out title after title. Sad but it’s not surprising

Guardians of the Galaxy is good.

But they were shit with ‘branching’, basically Bioware Mass Effect level. Pseudo-choices.

Not really my cup of tea, although I loved the GoT one, because I'm a huge fan of the books/show etc, but I couldn't get into any of the others. While I couldn't get into the Wolf Among Us, the bit I did play made me really respect their style. The lore seemed really deep and interesting.

I played the first Walking Dead. It had a great story, but wasn't terribly fun to play. In fact I felt like the gameplay was just tedious. I think maybe it would have been better as just an illustrated movie.

kevin-bruner---telltale-gamesjpg.jpg

Apparently this guy (kevin bruner) is partially responsible. Apparently he was a really poor manager and was fired, sued the company and won a large lawsuit that contributed significantly to the company's downfall. Many say he was responsible for scrapping entire story plots halfway into development forcing rewrites (which led to reduced quality) and expanding wayy too soon

latest

Many say Arvo, a character who backstabs your team in the game, is a reference to this guy

Guardians of the Galaxy is good.

But they were shit with ‘branching’, basically Bioware Mass Effect level. Pseudo-choices.
GoT was the worst of it in terms of 'branching'. Literally fucked no matter what you do. I just went out fighting.

So I've watched a few segments of the 3rd Season of TWD, and the first episode of the final season, and its looks pretty damn good.

I'll probably pick up the 3rd season during a sale sometime.

Sadly, it looks like the final season is never going to be completed. Or I would pick that up as well.

And, I realised after seeing how many views these Lets Plays of entire episodes of the games have on YouTube, this is probably one of the reasons why Telltale went under.

With the gameplay so mediocre, and the main attraction being the narrative, would-be consumers figured out that you can just watch the games played on YouTube.

So episode two is coming out? Well at least I can play that. If they don't finish it, then I better get half my money back.

I hope they finish it I really liked the first series, the 2nd one not as much but it was still OK, never got into the others. I did actually find the borderlands semi-entertaining for a chapter or two.

If they don't finish it, then I better get half my money back.

Don't count on it.

Not saying its one way or another, but I'm sure they'll try to screw the customer base out of millions of dollars in refunds they don't have.

They better finish TWD. I've been invested in the series since the very first game. I need to know how this ends, Clementine is such a badass character.

What can you say... the gaming industry is a bitch sometimes.

I've become used to seeing my friends end up out of work. Feels like it's just part of the job, like being a rail-road conductor or something.

Runic closing down really caught me by surprise. But that happens.

Back