Tell me about Holyfield vs Tyson

BaddKarma

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been asked before,

But I had a question regarding Mike Tyson's complains against Holyfield headbutting him the whole fight.

I'm not really much of an expert and didn't spot headbutts, so, is it me that missed the hits and Tyson was right, or did Tyson simply made up an excuse because he couldn't do anything to Holyfield and was frustrated about it?

Holyfield is known for hitting with his head. I saw many times where Holyfield wacked Tyson with his head.

The rough housing was/is not immediately obvious.

It just was just an awesome fight to witness.

Few gave Holyfield a chance but he got in there and slowly started to bully Tyson.

I only started to take the accusations of Holyfields style seriously when Lennox Lewis made similar claims.

Holyfield does it skillfully, but he does headbutt. He almost makes it look transparent. That's how he was able to nullify Tyson, just stick his head on his shoulders.

Holyfield ranks up there with Nigel Benn and Jim Flynn as one of the greatest headbutters of all time.

lg_rahman_all.jpg

Holyfield has always been a master of the headbutt. During the clinch, he'll put his head on your shoulder and than sideswipe you with his head. No, he doesn't make it apparent. He won't ram his head to hit you, but on the inside, he would more than likely sideswipe you with his head while working his hooks.

Hook to the body, then to the head, sideswipe headbutt

Holyfield ranks up there with Nigel Benn and Jim Flynn as one of the greatest headbutters of all time.

What, Nigel Benn a notorious head butter?

Who did he head butt excluding the glancing accidental blow to McClellan Sp?

holyfield5.jpg

I didn't believe Mike could be pushed around until Buster done it, he paved the way for Holyfield, but with Mike's training and experience I thought he would have been taught how to adjust to the Real Deal. Instead, it was the beginning of the end of a great career.

He did get butted a lot, a lot of fighters have complained about Holyfield doing it. He should have nailed him a shot in the balls back though or something, like Hatton did with Tszyu when he was getting fouled over and over.

Seriously, Holyfield by headbutt is as good as prediction as any if you're watching an Evander fight.

Tyson had a great point. "I'm way shorter than he is. What's his head doing under mine?"

Seriously, Hatton was catching them low off Tszyu over and over. He took one too many and as soon as the ref re-started it he walloped him such a shot in the jewels that Tszyu looked like he was trying not to puke for about 10 mins. Tyson should have been a bit smarter about dealing with it, looking to the ref was never going to do anything for him.

lg_rahman_all.jpg

Yup. Holyfield would lower his head during the clinch and swipe it against the top side/brow area of the head. This picture says it all.

Not to mention during his comeback in 2007, he cut open Vinny Maddalone with a headbutt as well.

Tyson got cut on the brow twice via Holyfield headbutts and Tyson was losing so he lost his cool and bit Holyfield in their second fight. As Tyson said in his documentary and as a poster above quoted, Tyson was much shorter than Holyfield, what was Holyfield's head doing lower than Tyson's head? I know, he wants his ear to get bitten and that's what happened.

Thanks for the replies guys, I'm going to go and rewatch the fight.

They are not forceful blows. It's a mild sideswipe while moving from one shoulder to the next. It's an accumulation that taxes on the opponent.

Holyfield totally head butted Mike multiple times in the fight.. Mike complained over and over and you can see Evander purposely leaning in for the headbutts.. Tyson should have bitten off his whole fin nose instead of an ear fragment.

We're not talking blatant headbutts a la Dominic Negus on Harrison, or Golota on Bowe in the second fight (though if you watch carefully, Bowe's head accidentally clips Golota right before and the latter obviously thinks he's been butted so he responds in kind. Of course casual fans and commentators always ignore these things or just plain don't see them). Though Tyson was definitely getting butted by Holyfield in both fights, that's for sure.

I have probably been as big a fan of Tyson as anybody, but I had little sympathy for his cry of foul play in those Holyfield fights. Tyson himself was a dirty fighter, long before he saw the inside of an Indiana prison cell. Watch the first Bruno fight. When ref Richard Steele is blindsided, Tyson cracks Bruno with an elbow to the temple that any Lumpinee stadium champ would have been proud of. It really hurt Frank, as his glove immediately went upto protect the area from being hit again.

Holyfield's butts weren't of the side swiping variety that people keep going on about. Tyson said it perfectly himself after the fight "He kept going down and coimng up with his head". It wasn't so much the shit he was pulling in the clinches. At 6'2 he would come in much lower than the 5'10- 5'11 Tyson, and as they got into punching range he would suddenly come upright with his head just BEFORE going into the clinch. He did this repeatedly in both fights, far more than I've seen him do to any other fighter. He knew that to beat Mike as a small man, he had to pull out all he had, including his dirty tricks. Tyson just got pissed off that someone would be brave enough to fight the "baddest man on the planet" in such a dirty manner.

I still think that Holyfield had enough without the headbutts to beat the 96-97 version of Mike. But he did cheat and land dozens of those ramming type of butts in those fights.

Holyfield was one of the dirtiest of modern day fighters, I don't mind that, I just never liked the hypocrisy of it. Tyson was dirty as hell too. As for his claims that Evander butted him, I think we all remember when tyson tried to get out of the fight by ramming his head right into Evander, he was very obvious about this and it didn't work. His claims that he didn't remember the fight and that the bite was just his reaction to the headbutting in the previous fight were dubious to me. Tyson post prison put on some sensational fights, Holyfield put on horrible fights, I believe Mike drastically underestimated Holyfield (which everyone did at the time) didn't prepare like he had been and couldn't handle a long tough fight with anyone. If he'd gone ahead and been prepared who knows what would have happened. Tyson won too many easy fights, the same thing that destroyed him before Douglas did it again. I mean it's hard to get into real grueling training when you do it and a guy just falls over. I think this is true, he was obviously in better shape for most of his previous 4 opponents than he was for Holyfield.

I also wonder if Evander, with his openness to cheating, with the butts and steroids, also blinded Bobby Cyzz in their fight, not because he needed it but because the same thing happened to Bert Cooper before he got kayoed. Evander is ruthless in the ring, I wouldn't put much past him. He sure did come out smelling like a rose at that time though.

Back