Teddy Atlas “Canelo is Overrated” 2X Heavyweight Champion of the World Responds

I guess he's being an absolute knob and saying Mexican fighters aren't very good. Either that or he's saying Canelo is seen by some as an unbeatable god, therefore overrated, but he's still excellent enough to be one of the best Mexican fighters ever.

And yeah I wouldn't put too much stock into anything Atlas says. He loves the sound of his own voice, and it's embarrassing how shamelessly he's nuthugging Dana White and the UFC.

I would rank Canelo over JCC Sr, and on the same level, if not slightly above DLH.
Canelo is not only one of the best Mexican fighters, I'd say he's one of the best fighters of the past 50 years.

The hate he gets is ridiculous.

I personally respect Canelo. However to play devils advocate, his doubters say he has looked bad vs Ryder and Bivol. They also say it's debatable if he's even the best at 168. The Mexican monster David Benavidez may beat Canelo and Canelo is ducking him.
Even his win over Charlo is discredited since he went up 2 weight classes to fight Canelo.

I would rank Canelo over JCC Sr, and on the same level, if not slightly above DLH.
Canelo is not only one of the best Mexican fighters, I'd say he's one of the best fighters of the past 50 years.

I'll be honest I've never really liked him or his low output style, but he's proved me wrong again and again ever since, dunno, way back, a decade or so ago.

I don't really think the Bivol fight damages his legacy either, even though he was schooled in one sided fashion. I expected Bivol to win, Bivol is excellent, and despite managing to take out a shopworn Kovalev imo it's pretty clear 175 is one division too far for Canelo.

I didn't realise he had much hate btw, I know early in his career I thought he was a bit overhyped, but he seemed popular and well regarded the whole time, I wasn't aware of much hate.

But yeah, I thought most of his elite opponents would beat him. And that was really only true with Floyd, Golovkin fight 1, and Bivol. I thought Golovkin would stop him, so I was surprised that Canelo even did as well as he did. He also looked way better than I expected against Charlo. I was thinking Canelo was looking a bit shopworn himself since Bivol, but he actually looked as good as could be expected against Charlo - effortless shutting down a very negative opponent, and one with a height/reach advantage and solid skill level.

His peak was definitely Smith/BJS/Plant, he looked brilliant in those fights. I've also come to kind of appreciate his low output style, how well he picks his shots, and how good he is at conserving his limited stamina.

Last edited:
didnt Teddy pull a gun on Mike tyson? He said his piece.

I'll be honest I've never really liked him or his low output style, but he's proved me wrong again and again ever since, dunno, way back, a decade or so ago.

I don't really think the Bivol fight damages his legacy either, even though he was schooled in one sided fashion. I expected Bivol to win, Bivol is excellent, and despite managing to take out a shopworn Kovalev imo it's pretty clear 175 is one division too far for Canelo.

I didn't realise he had much hate btw, I know early in his career I thought he was a bit overhyped, but he seemed popular and well regarded the whole time, I wasn't aware of much hate.

But yeah, I thought most of his elite opponents would beat him. And that was really only true with Floyd, Golovkin fight 1, and Bivol. I thought Golovkin would stop him, so I was surprised that Canelo even did as well as he did. He also looked way better than I expected against Charlo. I was thinking Canelo was looking a bit shopworn himself since Bivol, but he actually looked as good as could be expected against Charlo - effortless shutting down a very negative opponent, and one with a height/reach advantage and solid skill level.

His peak was definitely Smith/BJS/Plant, he looked brilliant in those fights. I've also come to kind of appreciate his low output style, how well he picks his shots, and how good he is at conserving his limited stamina.
Couldn't agree more. How do you see a Bivol rematch playing out if they agree to the same weight?

I guess he's being an absolute knob and saying Mexican fighters aren't very good. Either that or he's saying Canelo is seen by some as an unbeatable god, therefore overrated, but he's still excellent enough to be one of the best Mexican fighters ever.

And yeah I wouldn't put too much stock into anything Atlas says. He loves the sound of his own voice, and it's embarrassing how shamelessly he's nuthugging Dana White and the UFC.
he actually has some pretty good takes and insight when it comes to MMA. i give him credit for being one of the first big boxing voices to really take MMA seriously as a sport. you still have boxers and boxing promoters treating it as a joke even to this day, so if Teddy can convince some hesitant boxing fans to give MMA a shot, i'm all for it.

but he seems either oblivious or willfully ignorant about the UFC's shady business dealings and treatment of its athletes.

Couldn't agree more. How do you see a Bivol rematch playing out if they agree to the same weight?

I'll be honest I see it going the exact same way. Unless it's at 168 and the weight takes its toll on Bivol, or Canelo comes up with some amazing strategy that's beyond my comprehension.

Ultimately I think Bivol is too big, too fast, too active with really solid fundamentals. He had the style and the physical makeup to completely shut Canelo down, I don't see much changing in the rematch. Canelo would be wise to kind of forget about a rematch IMO.

How about you, how do you see it going?

Better than Sr.? I don't know, I was never a chavez fan but looking back the guy was a monster. Never liked how he'd get blasted by a lot of guys who shouldn't have been hitting a fighter of his calibre, but what did it matter, he always took them out until he started to slip. In retrospect, after hearing rumors, they say he went a bit party crazy after the Camacho fight and it's believable because his whole attitude changed while his performances suffered. It was the opposite actually of what a lot of fighters go through. Most young fighters are overconfident and arrogant and humble after they face the attritions of the sport, Chavez was humble and hardworking until being treated like a god in mexico got to him. Heck of a resume across several divisions.

Canelo? Honestly, haven't seen much, saw the Mayweather fight but todays boxing is a different sport. You say tomato I say to-mato. It's not the same.

he and Tyson also made their peace. pretty heartwarming moment tbh
Tyson did at least, I don't know if Teddy is the forgive and forget type. However, he paid for Camacho's burial and I'll always have a soft spot for him.

Tyson did at least, I don't know if Teddy is the forgive and forget type. However, he paid for Camacho's burial and I'll always have a soft spot for him.

they did a handshake, and that's a good first step

didnt Teddy pull a gun on Mike tyson? He said his piece.
he claimed to put a gun to his head when Mike was a teen, supposedly for harassing or touching his younger teen niece. The HBO movie shows him shooting the gun but I don't remember reading that he actually fired any warning shot.

Teddy's one of those guys that likes street cred and likes being seen as crazy, to me, he just comes across as goofy. Remember him getting carted out of a media event, think it was before Moorer/Foreman. but, again, no one else stepped forward to help with Macho's burial, I did read a former boxing stablemate of Macho's helped but I don't know how much. Generally, people abandon you when you're in trouble, even if you were once a "winner".

Another tidbit, he was also rumored to make Macho submit to some sort of hold when they got into it in a NY gym back in the 80's. Never seen that totally verified, impressive if true and Macho was always said to be a pretty good streetfighter and he proved his toughness in the ring. So, I don't know how true that is. Atlas likes to tell stories.

Another tidbit, he was also rumored to make Macho submit to some sort of hold when they got into it in a NY gym back in the 80's. Never seen that totally verified, impressive if true and Macho was always said to be a pretty good streetfighter and he proved his toughness in the ring. So, I don't know how true that is. Atlas likes to tell stories.
Teddy is an ex-con (armed robbery) that did time at Rikers Island. He means business and is the type of guy that'd grab you by the nuts and squeeze until you say uncle. I wouldn't doubt that he put Macho's nuts in a vice. As for street cred, he already has it. That nasty scar on his face he got in a street fight.

Teddy is an ex-con (armed robbery) that did time at Rikers Island. He means business and is the type of guy that'd grab you by the nuts and squeeze until you say uncle. I wouldn't doubt that he put Macho's nuts in a vice. As for street cred, he already has it. That nasty scar on his face he got in a street fight.
I know, but he also told a Donny Lalonde story which Donny scoffed at. If the event with Macho happened, there were witnesses and none have really said much since which doesn't mean it didn't happen but I'm not 100 percent sold on that story. Another wierd thing was Atlas wasn't interviewed about it for the most detailed bio since Macho's death on the event. The book was good but not perfect, for whatever reason, the last wife wasn't mentioned even though she played a major role in the last part of is life, especially his final issues with the law.

One of Macho's best friends said the Atlas story was bull but I know he'd be biased.

I know, but he also told a Donny Lalonde story which Donny scoffed at. If the event with Macho happened, there were witnesses and none have really said much since which doesn't mean it didn't happen but I'm not 100 percent sold on that story. Another wierd thing was Atlas wasn't interviewed about it for the most detailed bio since Macho's death on the event. The book was good but not perfect, for whatever reason, the last wife wasn't mentioned even though she played a major role in the last part of is life, especially his final issues with the law.

One of Macho's best friends said the Atlas story was bull but I know he'd be biased.
I guess the point I'm making here is that I wouldn't put it past him to do something like that. Whether he really did it to Macho or not. As mentioned previously he pulled a gun on Mike but I'm not surprised since he has a penchant for threatening people with firearms. The guy was literally an armed robber earlier in his life. I do think he absolutely embellishes and tells tall tales but he's not a guy you'd ever want to cross.

I guess the point I'm making here is that I wouldn't put it past him to do something like that. Whether he really did it to Macho or not. As mentioned previously he pulled a gun on Mike but I'm not surprised since he has a penchant for threatening people with firearms. The guy was literally an armed robber earlier in his life. I do think he absolutely embellishes and tells tall tales but he's not a guy you'd ever want to cross.

You're right, but I know from how much I've read on a lot of subjects to be skeptical. I like the hardest proof possible, with all info, that's not easy to get. That's why bios on major historical figures describe one person in dozens of different ways. Sure, it could have happened, the only proof I've seen are second hand accounts which are even worse than a biased first hand account. I believe it was Dick Young who wrote on the fight when it happened, but I'm sure he wasn't around it. Gym full of people so there had to be witnesses, obviously, not important enough for them to be sought out so, maybe we'll never know.
Also, it's no badge of honor to be a hothead, I've been one at times in my life and I know I'm a fool for it. Just last saturday was the last time and here my stupid ass sits, still pissed off over 72 hours later, nothing cool about it, it's goddamned stupid.

The hate is no where near as bad as the fan boyism. Last 50 years? lmao. He would be a strong underdog vs all the best fighters of the last 50 years in the same divisions. His resume flatters his actual skill.

Back